Year 10 Subject Selections (1 Viewer)

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Just to clear things up, Modern scales significantly better than Ancient/Legal/Business, and even more so if you get a low band 6 and above (91-ish+ I think).

Business scales better than Legal if you get above 93-ish.
http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2012-tables/2012_HSC_Table A3.pdf

http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2011_HSC_Table A3.pdf

Check out ATAR calculators too. It'll put the above scalings into practise. Both of your statements are incorrect (but I guess it's wrong by what my measurement of "significant" is). Correct me if I am wrong, but Legal is slightly better than Business in terms of scaling, and Modern is better than Ancient by a reasonable, but not significant amount. Out of all of them though, Modern is just the highest scaling subject in front of Legal. But, without question, if you did History Extension, that has very good scaling. Would you consider History Extension, lightthefuze for Year 12?

Last edited:

lightthefuze

HSC
http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2012-tables/2012_HSC_Table A3.pdf

http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2011_HSC_Table A3.pdf

Check out ATAR calculators too. It'll put the above scalings into practise. Both of your statements are incorrect (but I guess it's wrong by what my measurement of "significant" is). Correct me if I am wrong, but Legal is slightly better than Business in terms of scaling, and Modern is better than Ancient by a reasonable, but not significant amount. Out of all of them though, Modern is just the highest scaling subject in front of Legal. But, without question, if you did History Extension, that has very good scaling. Would you consider History Extension, lightthefuze for Year 12?
nope, my school doesn't offer history extension *argh*

R4diance

HSC
Like you, I'm in Year 10, and have had no experience yet - however no Maths?
Not going to be a problem, but you will be limited in terms of uni choices (Engineering, etc.)
However, your subject scaling is decent at best, so make sure you work hard and get good grades, and a 90+ ATAR shouldn't even be a problem. :)

In terms of the Histories, keep in mind that Modern scales better. Choose which ever one you think is more interesting. Don't keep scaling in mind too much, unless you're aiming for a 99+ ATAR. Try take a look at some textbooks at school?

Eg155

HSC
Hi all!
I'm currently in the process of subject selection (which will happen first week - after the holidays) and I'm strong in the English and Humanities subjects. These are my current preferences:

1. English Advanced
2. SOR II (I attend a Catholic school)
3. Ancient History
4. Legal Studies
5. Society & Culture
6. CAFS

I'm currently deciding between:
a) Modern and Ancient
b) Legal and Business

and whether I should scrap S&C and replace it with Modern :eek:

*I'm not that great with numbers so please don't chuck in Economics or Science related

Subject suggestions and current or past experiences with these subjects would be greatly appreciated! :awesome:
Would definitely recommend SORII. I go to a Catholic school too and everyone in 2u loves it. Majority of us in 1u, like me, hate it. 2 u is more interesting.
Consider English ext 1. It's well worth it and a lot more interesting than Advanced.

Modern is a hell of a ride, but you gain a lot from the course. A more perceptive understanding of the world being one. In saying that, everyone who does both histories says Ancient is the easier of the two. It's less tedious being a more source based subject.

Only do Society and Culture if you have a very good teacher. The PIP also requires a lot of dedication.

Maybe reconsider CAFS... unless you're looking into a career down that path. Modern > CAFS imo.
Also, legal is more interesting than business. I tried them in year 11, but dropped both within 2 weeks...

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Y E S WAY :D
Have you finished selecting your subjects? We're starting first week back of Term 3!
It honestly feels like I'm signing away my life :karate:
mines week 3 ! the nervousness of year 11 is getting to me.. i guess no more late night skypes and calls to friends just to "chat". Time to keep my head down and study.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Guys/girls.... Year 11 is a breeze, no need to go into isolation. Just study consistently and you'll be fine.

deloving

HSC
I'm thinking of doing Ancient, but I had an interview two days ago with my History teacher that I've had for three years and he asked me about the parts that I liked in Year 10 History.
Me: "I liked the whole communism situation, Stalin, Marx, Petrov Affair"
Him: "So you like political history?"
Me: "Yeah"
Then Modern History. Plus:

- I've learnt some of the Modern stuff in 9 & 10 anyway
Year 9&10 History is nothing like year 11, and you don't go in-depth into anything.

I'd love to do Modern (bc hey Hitler, Romanov Dynasty), it's just the fact that:
- There are so many responses that I may not have the energy to balance out all of my subjects and end up concentrating on one (where it scales higher) and not the rest of my other subjects
- With Legal and S&C I'd have a high workload
- I've learnt some of the Modern stuff in 9 & 10 anyway
- The teachers who are taking up the Ancient classes next year are just superb
- If I do both, I might get overwhelmed by such a vast array of historical dates, events and people
I wouldn't worry too much about the workload of Modern History. Yes, it's seemingly more than that of Legal Studies or Business. But it's definitely manageable. Especially if you're into the modern aspect of history. The work will become easy if you have interest in it.

- If I do both, I might get overwhelmed by such a vast array of historical dates, events and people
Many people take up both histories and are doing just fine. They cover different time periods and getting mixed up and confused is unlikely. Just treat it as a completely different subject, which it is.

---

mines week 3 ! the nervousness of year 11 is getting to me.. i guess no more late night skypes and calls to friends just to "chat". Time to keep my head down and study.
Please don't do that to yourself lol. You're still in year 10, you have 2 years of freedom before the HSC.

R4diance

HSC
aaah.... the sympathetic pains of having no social life in 2014... i can feel my depressing seeping in now hahaha
Don't worry. I'm sure your social life will remain intact, as long as you are organised and have a consistent work ethic. Never sink yourself into work 24/7 :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Just going to chuck all my advice in on this thread lol.

Why picking CAFS? You have to do extremely well in it for it to count decently as it is poor scaling, and most people who are somewhat academically inclined find it very tedious/boring.

I find the notion of being worried about picking X,Y,Z subject too much a load is an argument with not too much basis here-the HSC is always as much work as you are going to put into it.

I only did Modern, but many friends did both found no significant difference in difficulty, Modern has moderately better scaling. I absolutely loved Modern myself, don't let the woes of Yr 9/10 history put you off it. It's definitely not like that. Find out what topics you'll be studying in Ancient or Modern respectively. If you liked the Romanavs, the yr 12 topic of Soviet Union is superbly interesting without going over past studies.

Lol you are not signing your life away, you can always change early yr 11 and paths a bit up until your HSC by dropping and picking up etc. The HSC subjects you do don't determine your couse in life.

And on the whole getting nervous for yr 11 and that naw! You most definitely do not have to give up your social life in yr 11 or shock horror in yr 12 either! You can have the best of both worlds in that Hannah Montana-esqe vein (i.e good grades, good quality of life). Yr 12 was a highly social year for me (all those 18ths :p) and I went overseas for part of it as well. It's all balance. And if you learn it in HS , it'll be surely easier in uni where there are so many other things in life vying for attention amidst your studies.

No need for dread :) Let me know if I missed any Qs skimming this thread!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)