year 10 to 11 holidays, what needs to be studied to prepare for year 11 2U ? (1 Viewer)

sami90210

HSC
Hi everyone I am a student from 5.2 math going into Advanced mathematics in year 11.
I know I will struggle if I don't spend these holidays preparing for the content in year 11, most of which I don't have background knowledge of as I have been in 5.2.
However I will work hard, so if anyone please please can kindly tell me what I have to prepare for (trigonometry, quadratic functions, parabolas ETC) in order to not struggle as soon as I sit in that 2U class lol

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone I am a student from 5.2 math going into Advanced mathematics in year 11.
I know I will struggle if I don't spend these holidays preparing for the content in year 11, most of which I don't have background knowledge of as I have been in 5.2.
However I will work hard, so if anyone please please can kindly tell me what I have to prepare for (trigonometry, quadratic functions, parabolas ETC) in order to not struggle as soon as I sit in that 2U class lol
Kinda as I've said in other posts on the same thing, reconsolidation, reconsolidation, reconsolidation, would be the main thing you'd want to do before entering Year 11. I'd start off with your 5.2 concepts and make sure you're fully satisfied with your knowledge of the concepts. Then I'd move on to 5.3 and use Cambridge book or the Year 10 ICE-EM book (if you have it - I can send as a PDF if you don't). To make sure you're getting the best out of your preparation, another thing I'd recommend is to compare the textbooks you're using to the Math Advanced syllabus and make sure what you're studying or learning is relevant to the new syllabus as there is no point studying things which are only "assumed knowledge" but never really brought up again. Something I haven't recommended though on similar posts but also something I'd like to bring up here is to not spend too long on a chapter or a section which you're able to look at and go "I know this", as it's something I regret doing in my Year 10 holidays leading up to Year 11 and by the time Year 11 came around I was nowhere near where I wanted to end up with my study. Just kept doing the same things over and over again which I knew how to do (doing one or two examples is fine but generally after that you'd probably know if you can apply your knowledge to the whole section...).

So yeh that's probably my main advice and good luck with your studies.
PS: Sorry my writing's probably hard to follow.

aandablitzer

HSC
Make sure your algebra skills are up to scratch because algebra underpins almost everything you do in prelim/hsc advanced. Sooooo many students have a really good grasp of concepts and know all the fancy formulas but still lose a lot of marks because they make silly errors in their algebra.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Can confirm I've been a victim of that too ^ (of not being able to graph a basic function which I've graphed a million times in the past but my brain had a mind blank)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)