Year 11 2014 Chat :) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I97

HSC
Just wondering if anyone had any tips on studying for Extension Maths
What textbook are you using? If you're school isn't using the Cambridge one i suggest you get that one as well as there are a lot more 'extension' type questions there. Other than that do past papers and try staying ahead of the class by going ahead yourself.

I97

HSC
General question: How do you guys prepare for English exams?
Past papers and practice questions. Its not always easy to find past papers for certain exams but i know what the exams will be on so i do practice essays/creatives

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering if anyone had any tips on studying for Extension Maths
Below is an extract from a senior study guide I have complied which contains my top tips for acing Maths:)

The only way you can study for maths is essentially to understand mathematical concepts, apply your understanding by practice questions of increasing difficulty, and checking your answers and working out with those provided by the textbook or with your teacher/tutor. Before each maths exam, I would also do a summary of all the formulas that I would need and all the tips and tricks for each topic and revise over that before the exam.

One very important tip is to avoid exposing yourself to new, difficult questions the day before the exam-you would often be panicked and this would worsen your exam performance because you are not entering the exam with a calm, clear mind.

I had a habit to try to do my maths homework before it was set-so that I had more time for other subjects like English. I used an actual grid book-I found it particularly useful when I am drawing trigonometry graphs, but it is up to you, it doesn't really matter what type of book you use as long as you set out your questions neatly and in a legible manner. I did divide my pages in half, not to save space, because it was the format I was accustomed to. I would write out the question, write my working out, and ticked or crossed my own work by marking my answers with those of the textbook. And if I got a question wrong, I would re-do it several times until I get it right or I could ask my teacher. When I understood the mathematical concepts, I would then do practice trial papers to consolidate my knowledge.

One last important tip I can give you is that you need to ask questions the minute you don't understand something-don't leave any maths lessons without understanding everything about the maths concept conveyed-because maths is a sort of accumulative subject where if you don't understand something and don't clarify it, it can have a snowball effect. I have a habit of writing tips on the silly mistakes I've made or tips to do a certain type of question alongside questions I got wrong and I re-do these questions before the exam and remind myself to avoid making these mistakes.

MATHS is a subject that needs to be practiced on a daily basis, you cannot get away with studying it the day before the actual exam. You need to understand the approach to achieve a solution to the problems, not just knowing how to answer a problem, but knowing the different types of problems you can encounter in any topic and the variation in the solution method to achieve them. Essentially, practice, practice, practice is the key to succeed in Maths.

Hope this helps:)

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Past papers and practice questions. Its not always easy to find past papers for certain exams but i know what the exams will be on so i do practice essays/creatives
I would usually know the topic and the module, relate your texts to the rubric and make points relative to those and find quotes and techniques in your text that answer each of those points.

I'm the memorising type which I can thus memorise paragraphs with a theme you are exploring plus technical analysis of quotes that support it.

Then when the assessment comes up it's pretty much a question of matching the relevant stuff I remembered to the question and structuring it coherently.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
General question: How do you guys prepare for English exams?
MY TOP TIPS FOR PREPARING FOR ENGLISH EXAMS:
Step 1)Make sure you deconstruct the requirements of the exam as thoroughly as possible. You must become very familiar with exam time conditions, marking criteria, the essay/creative/questions you might be getting on the day or before.

Step 2)Make sure you know the texts examined in your exam inside out-make sure you can draw out strong conceptual linkage between the text(s) you are studying in relation to the module rubric you are studying on. To develop a personal understanding of the texts, you would need to have actively listened in class, asked the teacher questions as soon as you didn't understand anything and made some notes on your texts(if you are the type that studies off your notes).

Step 3)Practice writing in the format required by the exam-whether it be a personal opinion piece, essay, creative etc. Get a teacher or tutor to mark your attempt and give you feedback

Step 4)Replicate actual school assessment condition as closely as possible and do a few practice runs, make sure you get a teacher or tutor to mark each of your attempts and give you feedback on each attempt

Step 5)Take a deep breath, visualise yourself succeeding in the exam and give the exam your very best shot. One more tip: remember to have legible hand writing in the exam!

Hope this helps:)

liamlolz

HSC
Maths test on quadratics tomorrow and school photos (yay -_-)
Physics and Biology tests on Friday as well.

Anyone had/having many tests so far?

I97

HSC

No tests so far, my exams start from week 6

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A

Not yet, have a English listening task in week 7.

EDIT: My actual exams start in week 10-11.

#umad

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)