• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 2014 Chat :) (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone else get uncontrollably nervous before a speech? :cold:
It is normal to get nervous, I do get quite nervous-most recent experience of this was yesterday, however, embrace it as an opportunity to show your capabilities, learn to fly with the butterflies in your stomach:)

turntaker

HSC
It is normal to get nervous, I do get quite nervous-most recent experience of this was yesterday, however, embrace it as an opportunity to show your capabilities, learn to fly with the butterflies in your stomach:)
We could tell you were nervous at the start Haha but you did really well.

Also speeches are not that bad for me since I perform a lot and that helps me with doing speeches. Once I had to play guitar just by myself in front of the whole school. That was so scary I even messed up a few times but no one noticed lol..

Examine

same
HSC
Cause every time someone posts an atar estimate thread people ask for the school rank...?
Because they show the general trends of your school. If you are 1st in every sub then it shouldn't be a problem.

Examine

same
HSC
That may be a problem for me.
My school is in the 150s and we still ended up getting 6 people over 98. Plus you don't need to necessarily come first in every subject unless you're ranked in the 500-600s.

I'm not necessarily a fan of giving atar estimates with school rank alone because there is so much variation in terms of how each school got its band 6s. You could easily get a school which performs really well for the subjects you have chosen so its rank might be a bit misleading.

Last edited:

Examine

same
HSC
The only problem I can think of in terms of having a really bad high school rank is that you're internals aren't insulated and you can't stuff up the actual HSC exam.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
My school is in the 150s and we still ended up getting 6 people over 98. Plus you don't need to necessarily come first in every subject unless you're ranked in the 500-600s
Well, my school is ranked in the top 200s, but in actuality, it's not academically strong. Like, it's more focused on the theoretical side (which I can understand).

All I'm saying is that I'm a bit nervous about having to compete with your friends (friendly competition I know but you get what I mean). Tbh, the only subjects that are going to be competitive are maths, chemistry, and economics because there guys who are smarter than I am, which makes me doubt if I'm ever able to attain a decent rank for all my subjects. Nevertheless, I just need to focus on myself and work hard - hopefully I'll reap the rewards.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
We could tell you were nervous at the start Haha but you did really well.

Also speeches are not that bad for me since I perform a lot and that helps me with doing speeches. Once I had to play guitar just by myself in front of the whole school. That was so scary I even messed up a few times but no one noticed lol..
That's so cool you play a musical instrument:)What is your favourite song you like to play on your guitar? What do you usually perform?

Examine

same
HSC
Well if people have a better rank than you then they have generally performed better for the designated assessment and more likely than not will perform better than you in the actual HSC exam.

Ranks really only become an issue if you have really dodgy/biased markers.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Well if people have a better rank than you then they have generally performed better for the designated assessment and more likely than not will perform better than you in the actual HSC exam.

Ranks really only become an issue if you have really dodgy/biased markers.
I wonder what subject fits that quota...

turntaker

HSC
That's so cool you play a musical instrument:)What is your favourite song you like to play on your guitar? What do you usually perform?
Oh thanks lol. Well I like playing fingerstyle songs on guitar like sungha Jung (look him up if you don't know him he is really good) I played "a thousand years" on guitar. That's one of my favourites on guitar and also I like river flows in you as well. I did a cover on YouTube of river flows in you.

Last edited:

lavender1001

HSC
Oh thanks lol. Well I like playing fingerstyle songs on guitar like sungha Jung (look him up if you don't know him he is really good) I played "a thousand years" on guitar. That's one of my favourites on guitar and also I like river flows in you as well. I did a cover on YouTube of river flows in you.
Sungha Jung is absolutely amazeballs!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)