Year 11 2014 Chat :) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawrliongirl

HSC
Why does Chemistry suck?

Mate, I'm like the opposite - hated science in junior years but now I like Chem and Bio!
ok idek what happened but my other account screwed up. (i was golfgirl97)
anyway... idk, i really enjoyed science in my junior years and now i just want to shoot myself in the head.
Chemistry is just getting really annoying. I'm trying to study for it and i am realising that not a lot of this is making sense..maybe it's partially the teachers fault but I'm not sure.
Maybe my tastes are changing. I don't find science as interesting anymore. I used to not like English so much, but now i'm really enjoying it. something's happening to me O.O

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
ok idek what happened but my other account screwed up. (i was golfgirl97)
anyway... idk, i really enjoyed science in my junior years and now i just want to shoot myself in the head.
Chemistry is just getting really annoying. I'm trying to study for it and i am realising that not a lot of this is making sense..maybe it's partially the teachers fault but I'm not sure.
Maybe my tastes are changing. I don't find science as interesting anymore. I used to not like English so much, but now i'm really enjoying it. something's happening to me O.O
Do you try to rote-learn the information in chemistry?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Oh I'm going to sound so dumb, but what is rote-learning?
A lot of people have narrow definitions of it, but it's basically memorising facts mindlessly without understanding how they work.

Is that what you're doing with chemistry atm?

rawrliongirl

HSC
A lot of people have narrow definitions of it, but it's basically memorising facts mindlessly without understanding how they work.

Is that what you're doing with chemistry atm?
ohhh. well, I'm trying to understand everything. I don't usually like to just learn facts without understanding..unless I'm running out of time, which I'm not.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
ohhh. well, I'm trying to understand everything. I don't usually like to just learn facts without understanding..unless I'm running out of time, which I'm not.
That's good. Once you get your head around the concepts (which for some may take time to grasp), Chemistry isn't that bad.

rawrliongirl

HSC
That's good. Once you get your head around the concepts (which for some may take time to grasp), Chemistry isn't that bad.
yeah. my teacher didn't even teach us properly T_T
I found some notes on my school's moodle called Keep It Simple Science.. I might try and read those cos it's summarised everything and seems to give decent explanations.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
yeah. my teacher didn't even teach us properly T_T
I found some notes on my school's moodle called Keep It Simple Science.. I might try and read those cos it's summarised everything and seems to give decent explanations.
There's also a website called KhanAcademy - I always use that for my learning because I personally find it very useful. And there's also people on BoS who would be more than happy to assist you.

Oh, and you're gonna find that your teachers isn't always going to spoon-fed you the information, you will eventually need to figure out how to learn independently - that was the case for me in Biology, because my teacher didn't explain well either, so I pretty much taught myself and it hasn't failed me so far.

rawrliongirl

HSC
There's also a website called KhanAcademy - I always use that for my learning because I personally find it very useful. And there's also people on BoS who would be more than happy to assist you.

Oh, and you're gonna find that your teachers isn't always going to spoon-fed you the information, you will eventually need to figure out how to learn independently - that was the case for me in Biology, because my teacher didn't explain well either, so I pretty much taught myself and it hasn't failed me so far.
I've heard of KhanAcademy. I'm going to check it out.

I've noticed that the teachers this year, in science anyway, have been speeding through our topics without properly explaining the information to us. I learnt so much more from reading my biology textbook to make study notes than I did in class and I actually understood everything. I tried this though with chemistry and I'm not absorbing much.
Funnily enough, even though I really enjoyed science in my junior years, I ended up self teaching myself the bulk of the work as our science faculty is complete shit and from that self teaching I managed to get 1st or 2nd place in the grade every year.
I honestly wish that we didn't have to attend all of our courses for a certain amount of hours because I really feel that half of the time I'm wasting time coming to class because I get nothing out of them.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
People I need help!

So I have to write this practice piece for my upcoming exam and I have got a plot (sort of)

I went onto a website and I found the prompt words: "Stolen Ring, Fear of Spiders, Sinister Stranger" and from this I have formulated a plot

I begin with mentioning that I am holding a box in my hand that has the power to determine what my future will be like (Inside the box is a wedding ring which is not revealed to the audience yet, something I used to grab their attention). Then I was thinking of a sinister stranger (possibly a beggar as my character is currently in the city) stealing the ring and then there is a chase. The chase leads to a run-down factory or park, etc, etc. where the character will have to face his fear in order to get back the ring.

My teacher told us to give the character a fear and make them face it, so I've tried to use her advice and adapt it to the prompt words I found.

Here's were my help part is:

NB:

AoS: Power

What should happen during the chase?

Are there any better fears than the fear of spiders to use?

Where should the chase lead to?

How should the chase begin?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :party::thrust::party:

rawrliongirl

HSC
People I need help!

So I have to write this practice piece for my upcoming exam and I have got a plot (sort of)

I went onto a website and I found the prompt words: "Stolen Ring, Fear of Spiders, Sinister Stranger" and from this I have formulated a plot

I begin with mentioning that I am holding a box in my hand that has the power to determine what my future will be like (Inside the box is a wedding ring which is not revealed to the audience yet, something I used to grab their attention). Then I was thinking of a sinister stranger (possibly a beggar as my character is currently in the city) stealing the ring and then there is a chase. The chase leads to a run-down factory or park, etc, etc. where the character will have to face his fear in order to get back the ring.

My teacher told us to give the character a fear and make them face it, so I've tried to use her advice and adapt it to the prompt words I found.

Here's were my help part is:

NB:

AoS: Power

What should happen during the chase?

Are there any better fears than the fear of spiders to use?

Where should the chase lead to?

How should the chase begin?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :party::thrust::party:
that's pretty good. I'm not very good at creative writing, haven't written a good story since like...year 8 or 9 - my ideas right now suck :S
fears....ummm your fear that because the ring is stolen, the future will change. idk. I'm really bad with this stuff :/ how about a fear of the unknown? and the chase leads to some really freaky place....that looks haunted and you have no idea whats inside, but you need to get the ring back.... o_O

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
that's pretty good. I'm not very good at creative writing, haven't written a good story since like...year 8 or 9 - my ideas right now suck :S
fears....ummm your fear that because the ring is stolen, the future will change. idk. I'm really bad with this stuff :/ how about a fear of the unknown? and the chase leads to some really freaky place....that looks haunted and you have no idea whats inside, but you need to get the ring back.... o_O
Wow

The fear of the unknown

I'm loving this idea :tennisclap:

Thanks Heaps :D

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Crisium: hai, I see you are new here. Welcome to BoS :)
Rawrliongirl: oh lol, it's me golfgirl97
Crisium: wat
Rawrliongirl: wat
Crisium: oh right soz

awkies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)