• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 2014 Chat :) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
but they can make a significant difference
like for example i know this chick who cam first in french extension. she came first not because of luck but because she had prepared for every question they could ask in the exam and btw she ain't no was a native french speaker.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
like for example i know this chick who cam first in french extension. she came first not because of luck but because she had prepared for every question they could ask in the exam and btw she ain't no was a native french speaker.
But how did she beat the other chicks who prepared for every question they could ask in the exam

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Just my two cents

Having high aims is not unhealthy. ... IF It is achievable ....

But having un achievable and unreachable goals is bad

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
it's good to aim high but honestly, that's a very unhealthy, almost self destructive mentality to have. .
imo i don't think it is. Heaps of people in my school says that too so I'm not the only one.

Besides all the other occupations will bore me to death.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
imo i don't think it is. Heaps of people in my school says that too so I'm not the only one. And even if it wan't them how come one of the 99.95ers who graduated from ruse last year always said that when he was during high school.

Besides all the other occupations will bore me to death.
if your friends say that, then imo they have the wrong mindset

how do you know if the other occupations will bore you to death?

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
lol cos she studied hard core everyday and had a private tutor for that and went on french exchange for 6 months.
Surely she wasn't the only one who showed that much dedication and talent for French. At the very very top it really is all luck. She just so happened to have the best feel for that particular exam on that particular day which that particular marker really took to. Of course, I agree that hard work is the most important, but the 5% you attribute to luck is the difference between 1st and 2nd in the state or .90 and .95

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
if your friends say that, then imo they have the wrong mindset

how do you know if the other occupations will bore you to death?
business/ hopsitality jobs- i'll quit on day one
teaching- i'll answer to a student- 'idk, google search it or use word reference' and I'll be on youtube all day and if one asks me do you love you job i'll be like nope, just here for the $$$.
medical science/ psychology- Like if i was a psychologist and someone 'unstable' came up to i would tell them go ask someone else or if i'm at a lab or office i will fall asleep. And like teaching i would be there for the $$$.
lawyer- only for money and prestige
economist- only for money $$$ and will fall asleep on day one.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Surely she wasn't the only one who showed that much dedication and talent for French. At the very very top it really is all luck. She just so happened to have the best feel for that particular exam on that particular day which that particular marker really took to. Of course, I agree that hard work is the most important, but the 5% you attribute to luck is the difference between 1st and 2nd in the state or .90 and .95
yeah your right, i bet there were people better than her doing the same exam. She just got lucky with the q's and content tested.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
teaching- i'll answer to a student- 'idk, google search it or use word reference' and I'll be on youtube all day and if one asks me do you love you job i'll be like nope, just here for the $$$.
medical science/ psychology- Like if i was a psychologist and someone 'unstable' came up to i would tell them go ask someone else or if i'm at a lab or office i will fall asleep. And like teaching i would be there for the $$$.
It's great you want to do medicine, and looking at how smart and dedicated you are, you probably will end up doing it. It's just that getting .95 is only one way to get into med in the wider scheme of things.

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
How do you know that if you haven't been in the field?

I had the same mindset too.....

You need to actually have a go at the field, before you actually know, because thinking something and experiencing it in reality can be quite different

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I fully agree with this.

FMS here's a real life example for you to illustrate the enormity of what I talking about. A guy I know who topped Advanced English in the 2012 HSC wouldn't have just relied on pure labour throughout the year. Sure, ranking first in internal assessments may have be helpful, but it really comes down to how amazing your final exam day is. I'm 100% certain that the only reason he reached a HSC mark of 100 was because all his prepared material fitted the two papers perfectly. And even if they may have been curveball ones, he would've definitely known how to answer them off the bat due to his innate talent (not just hard work). All I'm saying is - yes, you can definitely attain a high ATAR through hard work, but to get a state rank or 99.95, that is restricted to those with natural ability and luck.

Just my 2c.

matchalolz

HSC
How do you know that if you haven't been in the field?

I had the same mindset too.....

You need to actually have a go at the field, before you actually know, because thinking something and experiencing it in reality can be quite different
this is actually true..

e.g. Before, I could never imagine commerce and doubted it would be interesting. At the start of this year I had only chosen economics to try it out. nek minnit i started changing all my subjects to business-orientated ones and I still haven't regretted it to this day

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
this is actually true..

e.g. Before, I could never imagine commerce and doubted it would be interesting. At the start of this year I had only chosen economics to try it out. nek minnit i started changing all my subjects to business-orientated ones and I still haven't regretted it to this day
my commerce teacher ruined the idea of commerce/business and so did a stupid family friend who was an economist at AusAid but now works in the nsw health industry analysing economics stuff there.
anyways careers testing showed I match the personality of a doctor or lawyer.

matchalolz

HSC
my commerce teacher ruined the idea of commerce/business and so did a stupid family friend who was an economist at AusAid but now works in the nsw health industry analysing economics stuff there.
fair enough :) my year 10 science teacher ruined science for me!

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
They thought this .. They thought that.

They are not you.

Just cause a careers test said this .... Doesn't mean it matches you.

Since I'm analytical, a careers test said that I should be a statistician, boy was it wrong....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)