year 11 and 12 tips (1 Viewer)

talha_ahmed2004

HSC
So i am going to be in year 11 next year and I was wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks for me as I am going to do my hsc next year.

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
If you're doing Ext 1 math - do most of the advanced Y11 work during summer holidays
Have everything organised (binder for each subj at home + a binder for stuff you're doing at school)
Print syllabus for all subjects
Make notes on each syllabus dot point - highlight once you've done it
If you're bad at english - start doing practice essays consistently, like 1 a week + get them marked by someone
Come prepared for exams with good exam technique (have a plan for every exam you do)
Plan every week of what you study, write down what you plan to do vs what you ended up doing
Study early for exams and study year round, you can cram the few days before but you also have to study 2 weeks before too
You can start light but make sure to study everyday to make it a habit, eventually you want to do a few hours on school days and basically a school day worth of study on weekends - can be less or more depending on how behind/ahead you are
For trials revise a term of work for all subjects a week + leave a week or 2 of past papers/rest - make enough time to actually study for trials prob like 5-6 weeks away from exams

You prob don't have to sweat it so hard in Y11 because it doesn't count but if I did Y12 again and wanted to get the best marks possible I would try do all that stuff.

jkjkjk

HSC
If you're doing Ext 1 math - do most of the advanced Y11 work during summer holidays
Have everything organised (binder for each subj at home + a binder for stuff you're doing at school)
Print syllabus for all subjects
Make notes on each syllabus dot point - highlight once you've done it
If you're bad at english - start doing practice essays consistently, like 1 a week + get them marked by someone
Come prepared for exams with good exam technique (have a plan for every exam you do)
Plan every week of what you study, write down what you plan to do vs what you ended up doing
Study early for exams and study year round, you can cram the few days before but you also have to study 2 weeks before too
You can start light but make sure to study everyday to make it a habit, eventually you want to do a few hours on school days and basically a school day worth of study on weekends - can be less or more depending on how behind/ahead you are
For trials revise a term of work for all subjects a week + leave a week or 2 of past papers/rest - make enough time to actually study for trials prob like 5-6 weeks away from exams

You prob don't have to sweat it so hard in Y11 because it doesn't count but if I did Y12 again and wanted to get the best marks possible I would try do all that stuff.
ive heard that the goal is to stay two terms ahead of school work. that way u use the last two terms leading up to the hsc just to do practice tests and do last minute revision.

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
ive heard that the goal is to stay two terms ahead of school work. that way u use the last two terms leading up to the hsc just to do practice tests and do last minute revision.
That could work but it would be a lot harder imo because to get 2 terms ahead you would have to put in some serious effort, I have nothing against working hard but idk if it is necessary to be 2 terms ahead. For trials I did just a couple papers per subject and for HSC I planned to do way more but I eventually stopped because papers are kinda overrated imo because most of the questions are like B3-B4 difficulty and there are few hard questions which are the ones actually worth doing. So for me, I wouldn't want 2 terms of past papers because I didn't want/need even a month of past papers.

jkjkjk

HSC
That could work but it would be a lot harder imo because to get 2 terms ahead you would have to put in some serious effort, I have nothing against working hard but idk if it is necessary to be 2 terms ahead. For trials I did just a couple papers per subject and for HSC I planned to do way more but I eventually stopped because papers are kinda overrated imo because most of the questions are like B3-B4 difficulty and there are few hard questions which are the ones actually worth doing. So for me, I wouldn't want 2 terms of past papers because I didn't want/need even a month of past papers.
i dont think staying two terms ahead is that bad and i think its pretty good cause then everything u do at school is like revision and it sticks in ur head better, maybe its just me lol

jkjkjk

HSC
what subjects did u do?

Saint Dev

HSC
If you are going into Year 11 don't go overboard (unless you have any accelerated subjects). It's more important to learn how you can maintain a balance between classroom, co-curricular, etc. and being two terms ahead is completely unnecessary. Even if you get ahead in the content, it is only year 11 and you are going to have an incredibly hard time retaining that knowledge. This is especially for mathematics, all I did for Extension 1 and Advanced was grind out past papers and questions during the weeks leading up to exams; being two terms ahead wouldn't help at all.

Saint Dev

HSC
I should add that I'm not suggesting that "Year 11 doesn't matter", however, all the ranks will reset for Year 12. Whilst it's great to be Rank 1 in a subject for your Preliminary Exams, if you burn out before your first HSC assessment it will go to waste. For me personally, I think the most valuable part of Year 11 is learning what examination preparation works best for you and watching how effort can translate into results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)