year 11 chem yearly (1 Viewer)

ta1g

For all you year12'ers that have done year 11 yearlies could you give me any tips on what to study, because there is so much info packed into the year 11 syllabus, ill do all this study and wont actually be able to use it in the exam. What did all your exams have in them?........what sort of questions mainly. Ive heard usually there are alot of 'calculation' questions involving moles etc....thanks

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
I've just helped my cousin with her year 11 exams about 2 weeks ago and the past paper she showed me had a lot of calculations and Chemistry that is actually useful (it gets worse in year 12).

You can try these:

- Calculations involving the concept of mole, molar, volume and mass
- A few must-knows in Chemistry, namely The Law of Mass Conservation and Le Chatelier's Principle
- Using solubility tables to deduce solubility
- Separation techniques (both chemical and physical)
- Balancing equations and writing different types of equation, e.g ionic, net-ionic (make sure you know what a spectator ion is)
- Some redox chemistry, know all your definitions and be able to read the standard electrode potentials and know what they mean and do calculations with them

That should give you a rough idea of what to study :) Having said that, you should always look at your syllabus and find out what you have to study instead of... Ahhhh, nevermind...

P.S. Work yourself through the emperical formula of MgO calculations (you should have done that as a prac - most peope I know did) That question seems immensely popular and it involves various important concepts. If you can work that through with no problems you should at least pass :p Also make sure you know how to work the signs for electrochem questions, many people have difficulties grasping the calculations involved.. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)