Year 11 - Extension 1 English Hard? (1 Viewer)

alan7948

HSC
I was wondering if i shuld take Advanced or Ext 1 English as i heard that in Ext 1 there is a lot of work and speeches that you have to do?
Please help!!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
alan7948 said:
I was wondering if i shuld take Advanced or Ext 1 English as i heard that in Ext 1 there is a lot of work and speeches that you have to do?
Please help!!
well... its not really a choice in that way, u can only take extension if you do advanced as well. I did extension last year and loved every bit of it, it is pretty difficult but the content is just so much better than advanced.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
OBL said:
You may as well do 4 unit english if you're thinking of doing 3 unit. I've heard that the 4 unit course is actually easier than the 3U course.
Really? i dont think you can do 4 unit english in year 11, and the 4 unit english course is pretty damn hard in year 12.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes, you should do Extension 1. It's a good course, which will enrich your knowledge and appreciation of a wide variety of texts. Even if you choose to drop it at the end of Yr 11, you would have gained something. It's a win win situation.

blackglitter

HSC
-may-cat- said:
Really? i dont think you can do 4 unit english in year 11, and the 4 unit english course is pretty damn hard in year 12.
You can't do the 4 unit course in year 11 but you can pick it up for year 12. I'm doing 3 unit english right now and i love every bit of it - yeah it can be challenging at times, but the coursework is sooo much more interesting than the eng adv work. Also, since two units of english are counted towards your UAI no matter what mark you get, having an extra unit of english is a good safety option. So I'd say go for it :)

amybaker1990

HSC
Extension english in prelim is great as it readliy prepares you for what you will be learning in yr 12 ext 1

the workload is no harder then if you were to take a different subject as its only a one unit course and only assessed formally 3 times throughout the year.

i found that extensionis easier then my english adv course as in ext your whole topic (well in year 12) is based around one module thats 12 months spent studying the same thing. its much deeper then adv as you get to know your texts much better then in adv.

i definitely recommend it

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I did extension English for a while, and I hated it.
It's not that extension english is harder than advanced, it's that you have to LOVE english to do it.
I don't particularly like english and i chose it based on scaling - therefore I ended up dropping it. So only choose it if you like english.

HSC
theres a section for ext2 english students..

i had a quick read and what they mostl do is just complete this major assessment..8000 word short story or whatever..and you have like
3 terms to finish it?

at my school..the ex2 have coffee machines and all these board games and i heard thats what they just do during the once a week lesson..if your not discussing with the teacher how your assessment is going, you play :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
theres a section for ext2 english students..

i had a quick read and what they mostl do is just complete this major assessment..8000 word short story or whatever..and you have like
3 terms to finish it?

at my school..the ex2 have coffee machines and all these board games and i heard thats what they just do during the once a week lesson..if your not discussing with the teacher how your assessment is going, you play :)
lol, you make extension 2 sound so easy and carefree

HSC
Workload varies depending on the school. I did barely any work, but a thread in the EX1 forum makes it seem like some schools pile it on. Either way, it's definitely worth trying.

Cerry

HSC
If you like English, do it. I don't actually like my texts much, but the actual course and classes are fun (of course, we are on a sugar high for 99% of our classes, which ups the enjoyment factor a lot). It's really different to normal English, especially in that you focus on one topic for the whole year. And our classes are a lot more discussion based than the advanced ones, which is really interesting, because you get some really different perspectives, and some really strange ideas develop at times.
BUT - the workload is huge, especially for one unit. And some of it is quite hard. Your classes will probably be off line, either early mornings or in the afternoon, neither of which is the best time for thinking (we have afternoon classes, and basically go "sugar will keep us awake and thinking", hence the constant sugar highs). However, if you enjoy it, it does make up for it.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I have no experience of EX1 but my friends that do it say that it is much more enjoyable than Advaced but there is a lot of work.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
sikhman said:
i love extension english.....50% creative and 50% critical is great.....so much better than advanced...
precisely.

English Ad is so much more harder than Ext. I enjoyed the prelim course; fairytales, appropriation (pygmalion -> pretty woman; pride and prejudice -> bridget jones). and for the hsc I'm doing crime fiction (its great how you only have to focus on one thing)

and it's fun. No annoying people who don't want to learn in your classes and its more self directed.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
to answer your query about speeches in ee1 (both yr 11 & 12) I have done a total of 2 speeches (lol) and 2 for advanced (these 2 were both recorded) so not alot of speeches for me.

alan7948

HSC
hollyy. said:
to answer your query about speeches in ee1 (both yr 11 & 12) I have done a total of 2 speeches (lol) and 2 for advanced (these 2 were both recorded) so not alot of speeches for me.
so you did a total of 4 speeches in year 11 and 12?

also another question does the ext 1 eng course include also the advanced course or is it an entirely new course?

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
alan7948 said:
so you did a total of 4 speeches in year 11 and 12?

also another question does the ext 1 eng course include also the advanced course or is it an entirely new course?
yep. and they are completely seperate courses.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
while they are seperate, extension really helps you with you advanced work, at least thats what i found

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)