Year 11 half yearly (1 Viewer)

dragondilesh

HSC
Does anyone school still do these.

My school scrapped them for most subjects cause of the sheer amount of time they waste.

Gunner_Fly

HSC
Yeah I got to a fairly good school and we have had half yearlies and yearlies since year 7. They are meant to help prepare you for the style of question you will face in the HSC. I dont think they are a waste of time at all.

pillar

HSC
Yeah, my school still uses them as assessments. Thought most schools would.

Like 50% weighting half yearly, 50% yearly lol (or 60/40 depending on the subject).

super.muppy

HSC
yea i recently had half yearlies at my school they count as 100% for our half yearly report and a bit towards our yearly report ( 20%)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yea i recently had half yearlies at my school they count as 100% for our half yearly report and a bit towards our yearly report ( 20%)
Yea same with our school , the only assessments we've had are the half yearlies in term 1, next term is full of other assignments and term 3 we have yearlies, the half yearlies were about 20-30% towards the final mark.

Year 12 starts in term 4! :jedi:

Brontecat

HSC
we dont do half yearlies but we've got heaps of other different kinds of stuff like yearlies in maths and all our classwork and assignment being graded in bio and basically nothing for the rest

speedofsound

HSC
Yep, half yearlies are the first two weeks back next term. Carried out like an external HSC exam.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Yeap mine does!
Set to prepare us for the HSC external examinations.

why would that be a waste of time?

mrcalkin

Banned
HSC
my school has the all last week and all next week. I love it, we only go when we have exams, and only go for exam time. Some people who have had 1 hour morning exams have finished them by 10.
Next week monday business studies and thursday extension 1 maths exams.

swathard

HSC
our school has all its half yearlies clumped into one week.. :(
they are going to be held 2nd week back next term. we also have some random exams coming up next week at my school "optional assessment week" lol..

and while I don't exactly enjoy doing the exams, i dont think theyre a waste of time.. i think they're getting us accustomed to the style of hsc exams.

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
we do half yearly exams too.

and I agree with what the above said about it serving as preparation for HSC-style q's :)

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I got half yearlies term 2 week 2. Mostsubjects have extra assessments as well, so half yearly is shorter and worth less marks. For Maths though it's worth 30% of our Prelim report and 100% of half yearly.

HSC
unfortunately my school has half yrlies NOW. well.. since monday to last day of school. but my last exam is tomorrow. pretty crazy.

suzlee

HSC
I would so be dead by now if my school had half yearlies hahahaha

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
our school did it last yr for us. Our whole yr 11 was essentially a mock yr 12 haha

allira92

HSC
yeah we do half yearlies and yearlies. we started doin halfyearlies in yr 10 and yearlies in yr9.
our half yearlies are 4th week back next term and i think there about 30% of your total grade

Munich

HSC
i think half yearlies are pretty much essential. They get you used to exams and it encourages you to study, it depends though how long it takes your classes to cover the content itself, if you're going slowly its hard to take off 1-2 weeks.

Mqt123

HSC
Yep, my school does.
but we had them end of term 1. term 2 we have a major assessment block and yearlies half way through term 3. Year 11 is aligned with year 12, so when they have trials we have yearlies.
i dnt think theyre a complete waste of time. They're a good resource later on and good practice :)

K

Kozak92

yeah our school scrapped them it seems.

It seems like assesments replaced them though which I feel is better.

I don't think half yearlies are any good. They put too much pressure especially because of the fact that they're always tightly pakced together.

Giving assesments also means we obtain material which we can use to study for yearlies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)