Year 11 into year 12 questions (1 Viewer)

Mum of two

HSC
N/A
Hi,
My son started Yr12 yesterday and is talking about dropping Advanced English and doing General English instead. Is this wise? He also wants to drop Biology, saying "I don't need it". This will still give him 10 units. It's a small country school and we don't have a Careers Advisor and the Principal is on an overseas holiday and won't be back till week 4, so am after some general advice. My son says he wants to do Mechanical Engineering or Accounting. I don't know what he should keep/drop/what scales good etc. Any advice welcome

nancylime

HSC
So doing poorly in advanced is much better (atar contribution wise) than going well in standard

Flop21

HSC
It's the same stuff anyway. Most people hate english anyway, yet most people do advance, because it's same stuff really and adv scales a LOT better.

Tell your son this is a good forum to find this sort of info and to keep up with information related to the HSC, since he's at a small country school.

Rawmarks.info is a good site to check raw marks vs HSC marks as well.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Also dropping units because you "don't need it" isn't a very good reason to drop. You never know what will count.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I'd advice against it. To be in the top 30% of English Advanced students you need to be in the top 0.1% of Standard English.

Last edited:

crowley926

HSC
It's better to keep doing Advanced as previously said
He shouldn't drop a subject for the sake of it unless it will be significantly beneficial (i.e. he is doing really badly, it's his worst subject, it's unsalvageable) otherwise every unit will count and he'll have no back up if he does do badly in something (whether unexpectedly or not)

Mum of two

HSC
N/A
Thanks everyone for your input, advice and thoughts. Keep it coming

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
However, if he really wants to drop Biology, then ultimately it should be his decision.

talia_rose_manuel

HSC
Yes! I was in advanced and drop down I was average in advanced and now standard got me to rank 1 did so much better on all my marks. I don't regret it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ishfish

Lord of the Fries
HSC
He should definetly keep advanced english for the moment as it scales significantly better than standard, however by no means should someone do subjects for the scaling! because it is more flexible to keep higher units (in the case you need to drop them) rather than drop to lower units (as you cant pick up once you dropped) :)

minisu

HSC
Uni Grad
standard will killllzzzz ya sons atar

better keep advance... they say "advance" to the top LIKE POKEMON
GYM BADGE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)