Year 11 marks going towards the HSC? (1 Viewer)

omgiloverice

HSC
So I got my HSC assessment booklet today, and it turned out that the MX1 yearlies counted towards 10% of my atar. o.o I haven't asked my teacher about this yet, but I am wondering if anybody else have faced this situation before

IMG_20121113_184035.jpg

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait so the end of Term 3 yearlies counted? Never heard of that before. Sounds dodge if you weren't informed of this like two weeks prior to those yearlies.

Aysce

HSC
Sorry if I sound ignorant here but they can actually do that? I thought that it was regulatory for year 12 marks to be fresh ie year 11 does not contribute to year 12 marks..

omgiloverice

HSC
I'm not too sure, my head teacher told us at the beginning of the year that our prelim mark will be 10% of our hsc, but my own teacher said she was kidding around and that our marks wouldn't affect anything

Rawf

HSC
Uhh I don't think that's right. I think maybe they meant some of the year 11 content will be examined in year 12, not that your marks will contribute to your year 12 marks.

enoilgam

HSC
Yes, it is very unusual to be honest. I am not sure of the exact rules, but I was always under the impression that the school had to notify you if an exam/assessment counts towards the HSCfrom before you do it.

Rawf

HSC
Woah, how many tasks are there all together then?
And why did they call task 2 'half yearlies' when it's only on week 10/11 of the first term? o__o That system is pretty strange, I don't know any school that carries year 11 marks into year 12. What school do you go to? (or what rank is it around)

Capt Rifle

HSC
doesnt happen at my school... maybe you start yr 12 hsc course at term 4, and that the topics examined are year eleven such as induction, curve sketching, series etc.

omgiloverice

HSC
There are 4 tasks, the last one that was cut off is the trials
I go to a school ranked around 190s -.- which is annoying because 5 years ago it was ranked around 130-140 -.- and all the good teachers retired -.-

and nope our class strictly followed the year 11 course,

funstudy

HSC
Doesn't sound right...call the board of studies maybe and confirm?

deswa

HSC
I'm pretty sure that for any HSC task you have to be given proper notice and everything-> given that you just found out that it counted, then I would think that what the school did wasn't allowed. Call BOS and see what they think. Also, why are your trials weighted at 50% if you've got 4 assessments all together? I thought our MX2 trials were heaps important at 45% but we only had 3 assessments so its weighting had to be big

The only reason I can think of is that your school is treating the 'MX1 yearly' as not your year 11 stuff but really a HSC assessment that will take place this term (so really start of year 12 but in terms of actual school years, still year 11)

WeaselPowa

HSC
Yeah... it sounds very dodgy to me. Your teacher is probably a troll and wants his/her students to work harder

D94

HSC
N/A
Your school may have interpreted the rules differently/incorrectly:

2.2 Internal Assessment of HSC courses - HSC assessment in a standards-referenced framework
The internal assessment mark is based on the HSC course only (except in Mathematics). Once the assessment of the HSC course has commenced, some Preliminary course work can be included in assessment tasks for Mathematics. No more than 20% of the Mathematics assessment is to be based on the Preliminary course.

[...]

School assessment for the Mathematics Extension 1 HSC course can be based on the whole of the Mathematics Extension 1 course (Preliminary and HSC courses).
BUT, it then goes on to say:

Assessment for this course should not begin until the school program of HSC Assessments for other subjects begins (this is usually no earlier than Term 4 of Year 11).
So it's not technically allowed.

They are right in assessing Yr 11 work, but assessments should not begin earlier than Term 4 of Year 11.

Last edited:

omgiloverice

HSC
Your school may have interpreted the rules differently/incorrectly:

2.2 Internal Assessment of HSC courses - HSC assessment in a standards-referenced framework

BUT, it then goes on to say:

So it's not technically allowed.

They are right in assessing Yr 11 work, but assessments should not begin earlier than Term 4 of Year 11.
You are awesome (Y). God why is our school so weird. -.- Today for our chemistry prac exam we had students sticky tape sheets of paper on to the exam because there wasnt enough room to write down the entire essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)