Year 11 maths textbooks (1 Viewer)

Diya Jain

HSC
What textbooks are good for maths? My school is using new senior mathematics but for more practice when it comes to exams which ones are good ? Oxford/new century/Cambridge/ maths in focus/ jacaranda maths?

Last edited:

Qeru

HSC
What textbooks are good for maths? My school is using new senior mathematics but for more practice when it comes to exams which ones are good ? Oxford/new century/Cambridge/ maths in focus/ jacaranda maths?
Like commentators have said on your other thread Cambridge is the king and honestly is the only textbook you need.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Well truth be told when it comes to exams I only ever did past paper questions. Textbook ones I usually found to be quite mundane and routine, except for the secret Sydney Grammar textbook which would be the best one if it was actually available to the public.

Qeru

HSC
Well truth be told when it comes to exams I only ever did past paper questions. Textbook ones I usually found to be quite mundane and routine, except for the secret Sydney Grammar textbook which would be the best one if it was actually available to the public.
The new 4U textbook is available to the public:

Written by the same guys and same format as the 'secret' one.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
The new 4U textbook is available to the public:

Written by the same guys and same format as the 'secret' one.
Na not this. There was a book back in the old syllabus that was never published and was used solely in that school.

They probably decided to publish one since it’s a new syllabus or whatever. When I was in the HSC it wasn’t available:

Qeru

HSC
Na not this. There was a book back in the old syllabus that was never published and was used solely in that school.
Yeah I know what you mean, I have the online copy of that (as do most people), basically they decided to make it an actual textbook.

A1La5

HSC
From what I've heard Maths in Focus has questions that are way too basic and don't actually try to challenge you too much. I can't really give you a personal opinion on the MiF questions but the general consensus from people on here is to stay away from Maths in Focus. Some of the harder questions from Fitzpatrick and Cambridge can be helpful for trying to extend yourself further with your knowledge - giving you more confidence in answering the difficult exam questions.

Come exam time it's recommended to test yourself with a variety of questions from past exam papers because well they're literally questions from a past exam school students like you have sat and will probably replicate the kinds and the difficulties of questions you would actually get in your exam.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I know what you mean, I have the online copy of that (as do most people), basically they decided to make it an actual textbook.
Dam that’s amazing. Good on them for doing that.

To OP I recommend this book as well!

csi

HSC
Maths in Focus is fairly basic as the questions aren't very challenging, but it is good when you want to nail down the fundamentals. At my school, we used Maths in Focus for prelim and swapped to Cambridge in year 12 to get exposed to harder questions.

idkkdi

HSC
Guess they realised they could be making big money since almost every other 4U textbook is trash.
false. interestingly enough, fermat's last theorem is a troll enrichment question in mastering maths lmfao.

idkkdi

HSC
Guess they realised they could be making big money since almost every other 4U textbook is trash.
this book is the goat. haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)