Year 11 Maths (1 Viewer)

Diya Jain

HSC
How harder is extension 1 compared to Advanced Maths? Im scared Im not going to be able to cope next year :/

sleepypanda232

HSC
If you're worried about maths in Year 10, I'd say 3U would prove to be a challenge for you in the future. However, I would STRONGLY suggest picking 3U maths, and riding with it as long as possible. Most uni courses have a restriction for students who didn't do at least 3U. You can always drop the first thing next year, however, you cannot pick up 3U if you choose to do 2U.

As a 4U student, I'm not particularly familiar with the advanced syllabus and the level of difficulty that they assess. From feedback, this year's 2U test was quite hard (maybe they're making it harder?). But 2U is mainly focused on statistics, and very basic maths topics, like logs and sequences and series, etc. 3U is a fair jump in difficulty, going into more advanced topics in maths --> perms and combs is a killer :evilfire:

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
What's the main difference?
There are some differences between Extension Math and Advanced, probably the main difference being that you have to attend classes before school and after school. In terms of the actual course, the pace of the course is a lot faster than advanced due to the extra coursework which needs to be covered. As sleepypanda has mentioned above, permutations and combinations can by far be one of the worst topics in extension 1 hahaha. For the prelim course, other than perms and combs and binomial expansions, every other extension topic builds up from advanced (e.g. you cover basic Differentiation in advanced and extend this further by looking at related rates in extension).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)