Year 11 Selective Test (1 Viewer)

MasonShah

HSC
Doing the year 11 selective test for caringbah this week, any tips? Might be doing the Sydney tech test if possible, any tips for that as well?

Pametan

HSC
Hey has anyone gotten into Baulkham Hills High? Was going to apply but I am wondering what sort of stuff I should include that the board would like. Any tips?

Mach_1

HSC
Hey has anyone gotten into Baulkham Hills High? Was going to apply but I am wondering what sort of stuff I should include that the board would like. Any tips?
Just the standard extra curricular and academic achievements that them know what you can bring to the school. Have an idea of why u want Baulko specifically, what you want to achieve at Baulko.

Pametan

HSC
Just the standard extra curricular and academic achievements that them know what you can bring to the school. Have an idea of why u want Baulko specifically, what you want to achieve at Baulko.
I know why I want to go to Baulko and what I want to achieve there. But there is no way to really express that. If they don't like my application they will just discard it. I have a few extra currciular activities such as debating, soccer, chess. I have also done some community service while I was doing duke of ed. But I don't think this will be enough.

Mach_1

HSC
I know why I want to go to Baulko and what I want to achieve there. But there is no way to really express that. If they don't like my application they will just discard it. I have a few extra currciular activities such as debating, soccer, chess. I have also done some community service while I was doing duke of ed. But I don't think this will be enough.
I had representative swimming, competitive tennis and martial arts. Thats all. No duke of ed, no leadership, and still got a year 11 first round interview offer, don't be so quick to depreciate your application :)

If you do reach the interview stage, preparing for those kind of questions can really help, although in my experience getting a first round interview meant u were already 90% there

Pametan

HSC
I had representative swimming, competitive tennis and martial arts. Thats all. No duke of ed, no leadership, and still got a year 11 first round interview offer, don't be so quick to depreciate your application :)

If you do reach the interview stage, preparing for those kind of questions can really help, although in my experience getting a first round interview meant u were already 90% there
Yeah to be honest I am worried about even getting to the interview stage. Baulko doesn't do exams so it is based purely on how you do in reports and extra curricular. I do okay in my reports mostly A's some occasional B's, but I really want to get to the interview stage. I have had a bit of leadership am currently SRC but I am sure there are much more qualified applicants out there. I don't really feel like I have a chance. This will be the last time I can apply for selective and I really want to get in.

How did you do on your semesterly reports?

Last edited:

Mach_1

HSC
Yeah to be honest I am worried about even getting to the interview stage. Baulko doesn't do exams so it is based purely on how you do in reports and extra curricular. I do okay in my reports mostly A's some occasional B's, but I really want to get to the interview stage. I have had a bit of leadership am currently SRC but I am sure there are much more qualified applicants out there. I don't really feel like I have a chance. This will be the last time I can apply for selective and I really want to get in.

How did you do on your semesterly reports?
Yep I had mostly 90s and 80s in my report as well, which would translate to As and Bs I'd imagine. I ranked 2nd in maths from yr 8 - 10, so that mightve helped, although I heard that they also place some emphasis on teacher comments - can't say if that is true.

Have u applied for any other selec schools?

Pametan

HSC
Yep I had mostly 90s and 80s in my report as well, which would translate to As and Bs I'd imagine. I ranked 2nd in maths from yr 8 - 10, so that mightve helped, although I heard that they also place some emphasis on teacher comments - can't say if that is true.

Have u applied for any other selec schools?
That's the thing Baulkham is the only school I can apply for. I couldn't apply for any other schools because of Covid this year and baulko is the only school that accepts year 11 applicants going into year 12.

Last edited:

Mach_1

HSC
That's the thing Baulkham is the only school I can apply for. I counldn't apply for any other schools because of Covid this year and baulko is the olny school that accepets year 11 applicants going into year 12.
Ah had no idea that was the case. Best thing would be jst to stay on ur toes and prepare for interview questions. If the outcome doesn't pan out well, remember that in the end everything boils down to your own individual marks, school ranking, scaling, and all that aside, so don't associate Baulko as the only way to get your goal atar :)

Pametan

HSC
Ah had no idea that was the case. Best thing would be jst to stay on ur toes and prepare for interview questions. If the outcome doesn't pan out well, remember that in the end everything boils down to your own individual marks, school ranking, scaling, and all that aside, so don't associate Baulko as the only way to get your goal atar :)
Yeah I know I can still do well normally. Do you mind however giving me tips that would be useful for the application, or how to write a good application that would give you entry.

Last edited:

laterz laterz

HSC
Yeah I know I can still do well normally. Do you mind however giving me tips that would be useful for the application, or how to write a good application that would give you entry.
I gave mine in last year and got in. I am currently in year 11. General Suggestion - Just write what you actually like and don't exaggerate it at all. Being honest would give a good impression of who you actually are. And if you get a invite for interview, you are definitely in so dw about that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)