Year 11 stress... (1 Viewer)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
It seems that this year I'm not doing as well as I once did. I'll even go out and say this is my worst year of school so far.
Is it just because of year 11 or is it me?
I feel like I'm working much harder than I used to yet my results are a steady B across all my subjects with the exception of English.
I have been talking to my year advisor about it and she said its a very common situation, that the beginning of Year 11 is a very difficult time to acheive A's so I'm just curious has anyone else had the same problem?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Sarah182 said:
It seems that this year I'm not doing as well as I once did. I'll even go out and say this is my worst year of school so far.
I feel like I'm working much harder than I used to yet my results are a steady B across all my subjects with the exception of English.
I have been talking to my year advisor about it and she said its a very common situation, that the beginning of Year 11 is a very difficult time to acheive A's so I'm just curious has anyone else had the same problem?
I did not experience that yet and hope not to. I just study and work whenever I feel that I am getting behind. And I think that's what drives me to achieve the highest standards in all my subjects.

According to my school's Dux, confusion and stress is the first stage of learning. And to get out of that first stage is to build your own study routine to counterattack that problem.

Don't get stressed. Year 11 is supposed to be a year where you can build your own study routines and habits for Year 12 where it really counts.

Getting B is fine. Not everyone starts from being the best. However, keeping confidence alive is important. KEEP IT ALIVE! It is confidence that can carry you throughout the year.

Work CONSISTENTLY. Do every bits and pieces everyday. Revise what you learnt that day. Do some extra work. According to my Mathematics teacher, homework is the minimum work.

Try your best and good luck. PM me if experiencing problems.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your grades are bound to drop once you start going through high school - it's not that you're getting dumber, it's just that the tasks are getting harder. At our school, Year 7 Maths test used to have about 40% of the students getting 100% - and now, no-one gets anything more than 85%, ever. Your Year Advisor is right - gone are the days where students get 100% and A+.

It's the rank that matters, not the %. But as Lyounamu said, working harder and more consistently does not hurt.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
If you're actually putting in work but still getting shitty marks (in your views), you should try to explore different techniques of studying such as doing past papers, writing notes and reviewing frequently.

However, it is still preliminary year, I suggest loosen up abit.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Did you read what I just posted above? How's your rank?

bored of sc

HSC
Year 11 Stress... is normal. Its meant to take a while to settle in the routine and masses of work. DOn't worry. Time will be on your side and soon enough you will be fine - used to the workload and difficulty. :)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I have had no experience of year 11 stress. I don't understand, i've had about 50% of the work i had in year 10. It's been getting easier for me, expecially the tests. I'm second in my year for 3u math, and thats cause i lost one mark to a stupid mistake that i shouldn't have made. Some weird chinese girl got full marks, so i missed out on first place.

I swear people are just getting dumber. The tests are too easy, and the only hard thing is english. English is so stupid. I hate english.

When i lose marks in math, it's because it's my fault. When i lose marks in english, it's cause the teachers gay, or stupid, or disagreeable, or just retarded. It's not my fault. My mark for 3u math is 32/33, making me 2nd in the year. But my mark for english is 7/15.

When i do tests for chem and phys, they'll both be over 90% , and i'll be 1st or 2nd in phys and chem and math, and i'll be 2nd last in english!!! I hope the english teachers die. English is so pointless and stupid, and i can't get marks in english no matter what i do! The people who made english compulsary should get hit by a bus. Who needs to know about journeys or change or something stupid like that. I feel like i need to murder someone when they start talking about journeys, ARRG!! :angry:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
I have had no experience of year 11 stress. I don't understand, i've had about 50% of the work i had in year 10. It's been getting easier for me, expecially the tests. I'm second in my year for 3u math, and thats cause i lost one mark to a stupid mistake that i shouldn't have made. Some weird chinese girl got full marks, so i missed out on first place.

I swear people are just getting dumber. The tests are too easy, and the only hard thing is english. English is so stupid. I hate english.

When i lose marks in math, it's because it's my fault. When i lose marks in english, it's cause the teachers gay, or stupid, or disagreeable, or just retarded. It's not my fault. My mark for 3u math is 32/33, making me 2nd in the year. But my mark for english is 7/15.

When i do tests for chem and phys, they'll both be over 90% , and i'll be 1st or 2nd in phys and chem and math, and i'll be 2nd last in english!!! I hope the english teachers die. English is so pointless and stupid, and i can't get marks in english no matter what i do! The people who made english compulsary should get hit by a bus. Who needs to know about journeys or change or something stupid like that. I feel like i need to murder someone when they start talking about journeys, ARRG!! :angry:
English SHOULD BE compulsory, however they SHOULD NOT be part of our UAI if it is not within top 10 units. Even though English is our language or at least Australia's main language, large part of English that we get taught is meaningless.

I personally love English. It is my 2nd favourite subject and ironically, I am not adept at it. My best subjects are Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Business Studies. Therefore, I personally do not wish it to be part of my UAI even though I enjoy it.

I understand how you feel. You are like when I was in year 10 when I held absolute abhorrence towards it.

Why don't you put extra time into English then? I know you hate it and think it's absolutely boring. But why not give a go? That's what I am doing right now or just then - writing up heaps of essays and increasing my vocabularly.

Even though English WILL be part of your UAI, you can lift your marks up in other subjects that you are good at. Just relax and get some help from your teachers. They will help you out (hopefully).

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Gotta love your modesty, Foram. ;)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Not only do my marks seem to drop, when i spend long hours on my assignments, the teachers have been saying that they are not allowed to give us any help on our assignments. That means that they won't look at drafts!! So, they're basically leaving the students in the dark, and the only thing to check my work against in the marking guidlines, which are completely subjective anyway. So when i hand in something i'm sure is absolutly perfect, i get C's, and when i hand in something i wrote up in 20 minutes during physics, i get A's. English for me isn't about hard work, it's about being lucky.

If the teachers like the views expressed in your work, they'll proberbly give u a good mark, otherwise they'll give it a bad mark.

English is so inconsistant. It's driving me crazy!!!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
English teachers shouldn't be checking your drafts anyway, because that means that they'd be helping you write your essays for you. It's liking having your Maths tutor next to you in your Yearly Maths exam.

bored of sc

HSC
foram said:
I hope the english teachers die. English is so pointless and stupid, and i can't get marks in english no matter what i do! The people who made english compulsary should get hit by a bus. Who needs to know about journeys or change or something stupid like that. I feel like i need to murder someone when they start talking about journeys, ARRG!! :angry:
Dedicate a little more time to english. I'm kinda the same (english being my weakest subject) so I feel your pain. When writing essays I learnt and have been told to keep expression simple (simple sentences) but to add sophisticated language and comments. I am sure you are smart enough (cause you ace maths, physics and chem) and this should work for you. Try it out! And cheer up. Be optimistic and really give it a go. Maybe you might end up liking it. :)

bored of sc

HSC
lyounamu said:
They did DO NOT HAVE english part of our UAI.
My PDHPE teacher said that this used to be the case. So the all the smart Asians (obvious generalisation) would still get such a high UAI and fail english.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
Sarah182 don't freak out. This is the time where you need to work out what is and what obviously isn't working for you regarding your study regime. That's mostly what Year 11 is all about, getting the experience and ideas etc for Year 12.

Relax sweetie, it's only Year 11! The marks don't matter, and if you're getting the content at least then stress less!

Best of luck, Xx :)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Sarah182 said:
I'm currently stressing about the half yearly exams coming up in weeks 10 and 11...I wish I had more time to study, but homework and assessments are in the way. If I revised every day, I wouldn't be stressing and now I'm starting to regret it. First exam begins on Thursday 3rd April (Physics). Gah....help... :jaw:

yeeshu

HSC
its year 11...prelim...no1 really cares...y burn urself out wen none of it counts?...i wonder how sum of u are gunna turn out in year 12:hammer:

fjnpenguin

HSC
sikhman said:
our teachers are definitely marking us harder this year...
yea i agree with u. i have had the same maths teacher for 3years and i have really seen a change in his marking this year. i dont know if thats a good or bad thing. im hoping its a good thing....

F-O-B

HSC
yeeshu said:
dam rite it is...such whingers they are:ninja:
Pssh you can't talk yeeshu meeshu...I bet you were like full pro nerd to the maximum ggg!

Besides this is the year where you wanna try out different studying techniques n shiz..make all the mistakes u can. Why waste it by doing not taking it seriously...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)