• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

year 11 subject crisis! (1 Viewer)

Eg155

HSC
Hey, I've been checking up on this site for the past week and you guys seem to be really helpful, so please, if you could, some advice please :)

Problem is I want to do a lotttt of subjects and i can't figure out which ones to do while still having a 95+ (hope fully 99) atar for medicine.

Should I do ext english? everyone who does it seems to like it but i think maybe there will be too much reading= time consuming? But ext 2 is the one i really want in year 12 because i love speeches and that is the option for that course.

Also, i have chem and bio already but i don't know whether to do physics as well because it seems to technical :L
pdhpe, ancient, modern???

br0t00b

HSC
physics, technical? brah if ur capable at maths and can remember a lot of content you're good to go

nazfiz

HSC
For extension English it really depends if you are a frequent reader, and if you inherently enjoy it. All the teachers at my school said the subject requires a lot of your own time. The content you will do in extension English will not reflect what you will be doing in advanced. So, if you are doing Hamlet in advanced you might be doing speeches in extension. This means you will need put equal effort in to both subjects.

Eg155

HSC
physics, technical? brah if ur capable at maths and can remember a lot of content you're good to go
I hate maths , i have no choice though coz it's 'assumed knowledge' and medicine requires it but eh. I can remember quite a but so maybe.
Physics seems really interesting like knowing why things happen and such but it's like a subject of error avoidance apparently.

Eg155

HSC
actually never read but like analysing texts :) my bro did ext1 + 2 and i have to continue the 'tradition' set by one person lol. But i do like english too.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What your siblings did has no bearance on you. However you sound keen for Ext Eng so try it, and also you don't sound that rapt on physics(like you might enjoy some topics, but I'm not sure if it's your cup of tea overall) so maybe just stick to the two sciences. You said math was a pre req so you're doing it.

So if you have
Ext Eng
Math
Bio
Chem

And you mentioned some other subjects too, do you like/are you good at history? PDHPE has body stuff in it like bio so you might like it you are a med hopeful.

Eg155

HSC
Yea, well I reckon i'll go for ext english to see how it goes. I know i'll be good at it but there are times where, you know when u're landed with an essay question or creative writing piece, that you just go blank? i fear that'll happen in the HSC, whereas in something like physics it's sorta structured whole-heartedly on the syllabus alone, no abstract, subjective questions.

Im'm good at history, one of my best but maybe doing something like modern with two sciences and ext would be too heavy with the dates and all so ancient? but you do pretty much all the subjects that i want to do- ( was also interested in eco :p), how do you like them? If u had the chance to go back would you change them?
i like pe but maybe bio is enough... also the stigma attached with pe :\

Alkanes

HSC
I hate maths , i have no choice though coz it's 'assumed knowledge' and medicine requires it but eh. I can remember quite a but so maybe.
Physics seems really interesting like knowing why things happen and such but it's like a subject of error avoidance apparently.
Wtf who told you maths was assumed knowledge for med lol? Funniest thing i've heard today haha

HSC
What you choose depends on a few things:

1. How good are you at math.
2. How creative you are.

For physics, all you need is a good understanding of 2unit maths to be able to get through all the year 11-12 content. Since 2 unit maths is a requirement for medicine, i assume that you are able to do it. If that is so, then physics is an excellent choice for medicine.

For english ext 2, you must be creative and a good writer. What compromises a good writer is an understanding of grammar and a creative mind.

Eg155

HSC
um it's on the sydney uni website, uac book and every teacher says so..

Alkanes

HSC
That's for the combined science/medicine haha. You'll need some knowledge of maths for the science degree not for medicine. 99.95 goodluck

Eg155

HSC
What you choose depends on a few things:

1. How good are you at math.
2. How creative you are.

For physics, all you need is a good understanding of 2unit maths to be able to get through all the year 11-12 content. Since 2 unit maths is a requirement for medicine, i assume that you are able to do it. If that is so, then physics is an excellent choice for medicine.

For english ext 2, you must be creative and a good writer. What compromises a good writer is an understanding of grammar and a creative mind.
Not bad at the algebraic maths so i chose 2 unit coz i would probably fail general more than any subject coz of the problem solving also the scaling.
I'm really creative, artwise though, i should be doing visual arts next year for the current school I'm at- the head teacher was the senior marker for the hsc so our faculty is pretty brilliant. However, I'm leaving my current school for a senior hightschool and their visual arts is crap which is a shame because i could ace that course (never lost a mark in visual arts). In an english sense, i prefer to analyse what someone else has written rather than compose my own piece but i can do that but not with much pleasure. Isn't ext 2 any form of media like a speech if that is what is preferred? not just writing?

My sci teacher encourages me to do physics only problem is i hate the mechanical/ electricity stuff in prelim but year 12 astronomy and particle theory seems awesome :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
English Ext 1 will require you to have a passion for English to an extent and your enjoyment for reading...
I could have chosen Eng Ext 1 but I rarely read nor do I have the motivation to read so yeah. Eng Ext 1 is a no way for me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)