HSC
I recently selected my subjcts for Year 11 and most likely year 12. They are:
  • Advanced English
  • General Maths
  • Physics
  • Business Studies
  • Economincs
  • PDHPE
What are your and opinionms and what areas will thse get me into as a career path?

JoshuaW

HSC
toby12 said:
  • Advanced English
  • General Maths
  • Physics
  • Business Studies
  • Economincs
  • PDHPE
What are your and opinions and what areas will thse get me into as a career path?

good choices but advanced english, and PDHPE are alot of work especially PDHPE it is all theroy!!!!
because you are doing Economics, Business Studies and General Mths you might be able to to accounting but i think Mathematics would be better for that.

cookie.

HSC
toby12 said:
  • Advanced English
  • General Maths
  • Physics
  • Business Studies
  • Economincs
  • PDHPE
What are your and opinionms and what areas will thse get me into as a career path?

physics was the bigest mistake of my life... make sure that your up for it coz its really hard. REALLY. but thats just my opinion... it is different for every person.

PDHPE is fun. it has a lot of content but i find it interesting. be up for a lot of revision. their are a lot of essays 2 write but i found it beneficial for my other subjects. a lot of termanology 2.

advanced english... i enjoy it but i think thats because i have a good teacher. essays will become your best friend =]... ensure that u actually read/watch your texts... its handy 2 know what your talking about =]

general maths... their is a huge gap between advanced and general.. i recomend to give advance a go if ur up 4 it coz its a lot more beneficial...

you can pretty much do what ever you want as long as u get the UAI... you can always do a bridging course if you need it to get into uni. GOOD LUCK=]

independantz

HSC
cookie. said:
physics was the bigest mistake of my life... make sure that your up for it coz its really hard. REALLY. but thats just my opinion... it is different for every person.

PDHPE is fun. it has a lot of content but i find it interesting. be up for a lot of revision. their are a lot of essays 2 write but i found it beneficial for my other subjects. a lot of termanology 2.

advanced english... i enjoy it but i think thats because i have a good teacher. essays will become your best friend =]... ensure that u actually read/watch your texts... its handy 2 know what your talking about =]

general maths... their is a huge gap between advanced and general.. i recomend to give advance a go if ur up 4 it coz its a lot more beneficial...

you can pretty much do what ever you want as long as u get the UAI... you can always do a bridging course if you need it to get into uni. GOOD LUCK=]
Lol yeah, it depends on the person as for me i enjoy physics but i've come to the conclusion that english just isnt the subject for me:mad1:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Mine are:
  • Extension 1 English (compulsory)
  • Extension 1 Maths (compulsory)
  • Physics
  • Chemistry
  • Legal Studies

The latter three are subject to change, though, since I've already done one year of Business Studies - but I didn't do too well in it, came 12th out of a group of 48 (from both Year 10 and 11).

I'm just curious, but how difficult will these subjects be in Year 11 (and possibly Year 12, but I will go up to Extension 2 for Maths)? And with these sort of subjects, assuming I get a UAI of 95+, what careers should I be aiming towards?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
toby12 said:
  • Advanced English
  • General Maths
  • Physics
  • Business Studies
  • Economincs
  • PDHPE
If you're planning to go to uni then your HSC subjects won't have that much impact on your choice of career.

pinkly

Hands are handy.
HSC
toby12 said:
pinionms and what areas will thse get me into as a career path?
Have you an idea of where you'd like to go? (Of course, even 07ers at this stage haven't a clue as to their career choices)

Like Triangulum said, it won't really have much of an impact on your career, instead it might affect your courses. As long as you do well, you're set for any course you choose. Some courses do favour prior knowledge of subjects like Chemistry and Biology or Extention 1 Maths but I forget if they are prerequisites or not. Even if they are, you've got bridging courses.

patty4848

HSC
Aerath said:
Mine are:
  • Extension 1 English (compulsory)
  • Extension 1 Maths (compulsory)
  • Physics
  • Chemistry
  • Legal Studies
The latter three are subject to change, though, since I've already done one year of Business Studies - but I didn't do too well in it, came 12th out of a group of 48 (from both Year 10 and 11).

I'm just curious, but how difficult will these subjects be in Year 11 (and possibly Year 12, but I will go up to Extension 2 for Maths)? And with these sort of subjects, assuming I get a UAI of 95+, what careers should I be aiming towards?
I'm at a selective school and even people here struggle with doing chem and physics...If you enjoy it and you are good at it (and have time management skills) then you should be able to handle it but its a heck of a lot of work...

Don't always assume that you will want to do extension 2 maths...You need to experience extension 1 and see how you go...Extension 2 requires a heck of a lot of work, and you prob won't have a life in year 12 if you do physics chem and ext 2 maths...

Legal studies is alot of content, and is a touch dry in year 11, but year 12 syllabus is much more interesting...

BTW, why on earth are you choosing your career around your subjects...IT SHOULD BE THE OTHER WAY AROUND...

but if you want an answer to the career question, then you are set for any sort of science/engineering in terms of prerequisites...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
patty4848 said:
Don't always assume that you will want to do extension 2 maths...You need to experience extension 1 and see how you go...Extension 2 requires a heck of a lot of work, and you prob won't have a life in year 12 if you do physics chem and ext 2 maths...
I think it's compulsory for the top 2 classes at Sydney Boys High to do Extension 2 Maths. This may sound cocky, but I expect to be within one of those two classes.

patty4848 said:
Legal studies is alot of content, and is a touch dry in year 11, but year 12 syllabus is much more interesting...
What do you mean by dry? And I like it when subjects have a lot of content.

patty4848 said:
BTW, why on earth are you choosing your career around your subjects...IT SHOULD BE THE OTHER WAY AROUND...
To be honest, I haven't given much thought to what I want to be when I grow up. And after thinking it about it briefly for the past few minutes, I couldn't really come up with anything that really appealed to me.

patty4848 said:
but if you want an answer to the career question, then you are set for any sort of science/engineering in terms of prerequisites...
Uh oh. I'm not really looking forward to doing any of those. :confused:

patty4848

HSC
When you get into Year 12 legal studies, you do focus studies like crime and stuff...Year 11 is basically the theory behind everything...You learn about all the rights and duties and how laws protect us etc (as well as the court system)...There is a lack of in depth case studies...so i guess that might be dry for some...

Well if you get into maths extension 2, good luck...If your really good at maths and can put the time in, go for it coz it will pay off in the end.
Just coz you have the prerequisites for science/engineering, doesnt mean you have to do them...But because you do phys and chem, you aren't limited...You seem smart so you might decide to do law, or medicine or something...

But anyways, Good luck next year...feel free to ask me anything about year 11

HSC
To the OP: my extremely biased opinion says that choosing both Business Studies and Economics was a great choice. ;D

Business Studies: Easy, just a lot of content. If you can write good responses band 5/6 is simple. Also a bit of overlap with Economics gives you an edge over Business Studies-only students.
Economics: Pretty hard, but if you grasp the basic theory it's simple enough and I've heard it's even more interesting in Year 12 (I thought it was interesting already). Gives you a deeper insight into a lot of things too.

redhead69

HSC
I should be doing extension english, math, legal studies, economics, business services and music 2. Is that too much?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Triangulum said:
If you're planning to go to uni then your HSC subjects won't have that much impact on your choice of career.
What he said.

With general maths - do not bludge. I did and now im having to kill myself over it so i do well in the hsc exams. Try and keep your average above 80.

I found business studies extremely easy but boring as shit so i dropped it after yr 11. A good decision as well as there's too much to study and its fairly repetitive.

oh, whatever the marks you get in year 11 - they DO NOT count towards year 12. So don't go crazy studying but don't stop studying entirely because you will need an effective study pattern for yr 12.

Last edited:
HSC
redhead69 said:
I should be doing extension english, math, legal studies, economics, business services and music 2. Is that too much?
Don't think so, but Year 11 is just a trial and you will always have the opportunity to drop a subject at the end of it, so you might as well go for it.

redhead69

HSC
veloc1ty said:
Don't think so, but Year 11 is just a trial and you will always have the opportunity to drop a subject at the end of it, so you might as well go for it.
The problem is, I want to pick up another extension year 12, don't know what to drop.

kijun22

HSC
toby12 said:
  • Advanced English
  • General Maths
  • Physics
  • Business Studies
  • Economincs
  • PDHPE
I've heard that physics is really hard and gets harder in year 12. In year 12, you have to do at least Maths 3U (Extension 1) to be able to cope with the work.
As long as you do well and get a good UAI, then it won't really affect your career pathways. For some careers like Medicine, you need to take an UMAT (Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test) as well as your UAI

Last edited:
HSC
kijun22 said:
In year 12, you have to do at least Maths 3U (Extension 1) to be able to cope with the work.
Where'd you hear that? Doesn't sound right from what I've heard.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
You don't need Extension 1 Maths to do Physics...

lemonlolly

HSC
Hey:wave:
My Subjects Are In My Signature--, But I Am Considering Changing Studies Of Religion To Modern History...
Also A Completely Out Of Topic Question Here-- Will Going To A Selective School (Or A Highly Ranked One) Give You An Advantage Over Other Schools (in The Final HSC Marking)??? Because Atm My School Isnt Even In The Top 200!!
If That Makes Any Sense....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)