year 11 subjects (1 Viewer)

grainybred

HSC
(if you've seen this before pls ignore!)
Hi, I'm currently picking my subjects for year 11 and I wanted to ask anyone about any advice they could give me with subjects I'm considering. I would like to take 12/13 units and I'd like to achieve a good atar for the courses I'm interested in (e.g allied health or science)
pretty sure about:
- biology
- maths ext 3
- food technology (although the scaling is terrible 😣)

I am unsure about:
- chemistry
My mark for the chemistry test this year was not as good as a lot of my friends and I made some stupid mistakes. I sort of like it, but I have worries that I may not enjoy it as much in year 11/12 or do badly. If I take this subject, I cannot drop it in the senior years because I won't have enough units (unless I pick up maths ext 2 - which I don't want to do).
- english extension 1
I have no passion for english but I consistently do pretty well. It is a subject I can drop in year 12 but many people have advised me not to as I still have to be really dedicated in year 11. Also, a lot of my peers (who are better than me at english) aren't doing it which makes me scared.
- economics (last option/backup)
I currently do commerce and it is a stable subject for me. I'd like to think I am alright at it but the subject was a bit boring to me during the economics unit. I know this is a subject I can do good in but don't enjoy.

Honestly, I have an idea of what I want to do but I'm not sure if this combination of subjects has a heavy workload or won't contribute to a decent atar. Should I switch out any subjects? Any comments/experiences/thoughts would be helpful!

idkkdi

HSC
(if you've seen this before pls ignore!)
Hi, I'm currently picking my subjects for year 11 and I wanted to ask anyone about any advice they could give me with subjects I'm considering. I would like to take 12/13 units and I'd like to achieve a good atar for the courses I'm interested in (e.g allied health or science)
pretty sure about:
- biology
- maths ext 3
- food technology (although the scaling is terrible 😣)

I am unsure about:
- chemistry
My mark for the chemistry test this year was not as good as a lot of my friends and I made some stupid mistakes. I sort of like it, but I have worries that I may not enjoy it as much in year 11/12 or do badly. If I take this subject, I cannot drop it in the senior years because I won't have enough units (unless I pick up maths ext 2 - which I don't want to do).
- english extension 1
I have no passion for english but I consistently do pretty well. It is a subject I can drop in year 12 but many people have advised me not to as I still have to be really dedicated in year 11. Also, a lot of my peers (who are better than me at english) aren't doing it which makes me scared.
- economics (last option/backup)
I currently do commerce and it is a stable subject for me. I'd like to think I am alright at it but the subject was a bit boring to me during the economics unit. I know this is a subject I can do good in but don't enjoy.

Honestly, I have an idea of what I want to do but I'm not sure if this combination of subjects has a heavy workload or won't contribute to a decent atar. Should I switch out any subjects? Any comments/experiences/thoughts would be helpful!
lol math ext 3, damn I wish they offered that at my school. 5U math would be lit.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
You’ve got some good choices, I’ll give you a bit of an idea about Chemistry as I’m currently taking it myself. Chemistry in Year 11 is obviously very different from Year 10, however parts of the course rely on previous knowledge of concepts from Year 7-10 even though the concepts are reiterated in the Preliminary course. At least 45-50% of the prelim course is applied math and formulae (you look at the basics of quantitative chemistry in Module 2 and enthalpy/entropy in Module 4), which leaves the other 50% being abstract or applied theory. Overall I think the course is quite fun despite the fact that my Chem teacher is slightly unusual bahahaha.
Onto your choice with English Ext 1, I understand that currently you’re going well in English. BUT English is not the same in Year 11 as it is in Year 10 like Math Extension 1 is not the same as 5.3 Math in Year 10. The people who I have talked to who do that subject not only do they write really well but they have a passion for literature and want to explore new ideas and concepts. If you don’t have a passion but you’re still going well you could do either Standard (More contemporary - hard to get Band 6 but doesn’t waste all your time) or Advanced (More classical - good scaling as well).
Hope that gives you a rough idea of what to expect for year 11.

grainybred

HSC
You’ve got some good choices, I’ll give you a bit of an idea about Chemistry as I’m currently taking it myself. Chemistry in Year 11 is obviously very different from Year 10, however parts of the course rely on previous knowledge of concepts from Year 7-10 even though the concepts are reiterated in the Preliminary course. At least 45-50% of the prelim course is applied math and formulae (you look at the basics of quantitative chemistry in Module 2 and enthalpy/entropy in Module 4), which leaves the other 50% being abstract or applied theory. Overall I think the course is quite fun despite the fact that my Chem teacher is slightly unusual bahahaha.
Onto your choice with English Ext 1, I understand that currently you’re going well in English. BUT English is not the same in Year 11 as it is in Year 10 like Math Extension 1 is not the same as 5.3 Math in Year 10. The people who I have talked to who do that subject not only do they write really well but they have a passion for literature and want to explore new ideas and concepts. If you don’t have a passion but you’re still going well you could do either Standard (More contemporary - hard to get Band 6 but doesn’t waste all your time) or Advanced (More classical - good scaling as well).
Hope that gives you a rough idea of what to expect for year 11.
Thank you so much for taking your time to reply :) Your insights onto chemistry have been really helpful as I was worried it would be too much theory. Now that I know it's 50% applied maths/formulae and 50% applied theory, I think I will take it.

At my school, we only offer advanced english and onwards so my options are to either take advanced english and economics in year 11 (to make 13 units) or to take ext 1 english (to make 12 units) and potentially drop down to advanced in year 12. Do you think it is wiser to take ext 1 english or economics year 11 - considering I dislike eco and am indifferent about english. Once again, thank you so much for your help!

idkkdi

HSC
Thank you so much for taking your time to reply :) Your insights onto chemistry have been really helpful as I was worried it would be too much theory. Now that I know it's 50% applied maths/formulae and 50% applied theory, I think I will take it.

At my school, we only offer advanced english and onwards so my options are to either take advanced english and economics in year 11 (to make 13 units) or to take ext 1 english (to make 12 units) and potentially drop down to advanced in year 12. Do you think it is wiser to take ext 1 english or economics year 11 - considering I dislike eco and am indifferent about english. Once again, thank you so much for your help!
eh both are kinda annoying.
I would take ext eng because I absolutely despise the morning classes which come with 13 units.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A

I mean I don’t know much about Eco not Ext English because I only take Standard

Whether you want to do Eco or English Ext is your choice, if you don’t really like both it’s a matter of what you think you will succeed in more or how much time those subjects will take up in comparison to everything else

Tipppp

HSC
I am also confused I want to study medicine and I want to take these subjects
-Maths ext 1
-Eng ADV
-Chemistry
-Bio/Phy???? I need help choosing which one
-Economics/Business???? Same I am confused which one to choose
I need an atar over 96 and also need to prepare for ucat so need less workload to balance

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
-Maths ext 1
-Eng ADV
-Chemistry
I need an atar over 96 and also need to prepare for ucat so need less workload to balance
Go Bio, you'll need it more than Physics if you want to do medicine.

idkkdi

HSC
-Maths ext 1
-Eng ADV
-Chemistry
triple science, eco/business are boring.

Last edited:

Wizjaro

HSC
triple science, eco/business are boring as fk.
Its boring to you.
-Maths ext 1
-Eng ADV
-Chemistry
Personally I think economics is mad interesting but heavy workload, whilst business is enjoyable (mainly cause of my class ngl) and easy. Personally would recommend Biology over Physics Cause its more related to chemistry and physics concepts can be hard to understand and get a grip of.

jojosiwa123

HSC
-Maths ext 1
-Eng ADV
-Chemistry
Hey, if u need over 96 I'm assuming ur going for rural entry?
For certain unis (for medicine) you need to do specific subjects eg they might say you have to do chemistry, or you have to do advanced maths or english etc. You might wanna go over this with ur careers advisor and look through some specific uni courses, or google a list (a few websites have the lists of prerequisites for medicine for all the unis)
In terms of workload, all the subjects you chose are quite heavy in workload- this depends from person to person but it can be extremely difficult to manage these subjects although I know many people choose pretty much this exact combo to go into medicine.

Your main goal right now is to maximise your atar so my best advice is do subjects you like. A lot of people go on and on about scaling, but your best bet is to do subjects which you are genuinely interested in and good at, because scaling isn't as important if you get low marks in those subjects either way. Most people I know who did the triple science combo were really stressed over it and ended up dropping 1 or two of their sciences so I recommend you pick 2.

ALSO: If humanities is your strong point (english, history etc), definitely consider maxing out your humanities subjects like modern, english ext 1 etc as this would get you the highest atar (but keep at least chem or bio in this case)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)