year 11 subjects (1 Viewer)

tiktoker1245

HSC
how difficult will my subjects be content wise? they're all essay based and i'm really good at commerce and english as well as just essay writing in general.

english adv
maths adv
economics
accelerated business
legal
modern hist.

Last edited:

mikamakonu

HSC
If you're getting an ATAR you shouldn't do two advanced subjects in my opinion. I would look at dropping to standard English as you will rank way better there than in advanced if you have the capabilities for advanced.

My reason: IF YOU DON"T MEET THE 51% WEIGHTING EXPECTATION AT A MINIMUM FOR BOTH ADVANCED your rank will drop substantially you're better to do 3u subjects whichever you have the highest literacy in. Also, 2022's dux at my school did one 3u advanced and got an ATAR of 94.4 and state rank for SOR1

Every subject is content heavy majority of the time you will be learning something new each lesson. I would choose subjects that go well together. Society and Culture is just as content-heavy as modern but with legal, economics and business the content will overlap in areas and help deepen your understanding. I'd also look at the Syllabus for each subject (they're on NESA's website) I switched last minute from Mod to SAC and it was the best decision of my life.

Last edited:

carrotsss

HSC
If you're getting an ATAR you shouldn't do two advanced subjects in my opinion. I would look at dropping to standard English as you will rank way better there than in advanced if you have the capabilities for advanced.
This is a terrible take, standard English is a total waste of time, it’s just as hard to get the same aligned mark except you’ll probably be dealing with a class and teacher who don’t care about English at all, and won’t do nearly as well. There’s a reason the band 6 rate for English standard is so low.

If you’re aiming for a high ATAR, I can’t stress enough that doing hard/content heavy subjects is a GOOD thing. Sure, it’s more work, but the HSC rewards putting in hard work, and so even if you do easy subjects, you will need to be doing the same amount of work to get the same scaled mark anyway. Doing hard subjects pretty much forces you to put in more effort, and guarantees you a decent ATAR.

If you’re not aiming for a high ATAR then go wild and do all standards etc, but based on their subject selection, that’s not the case.

Last edited:

howcanibesmarter

HSC
Eco is very content heavy - thats why I dropped. English advanced isn't that bad, just 4 essays pre much + 1 creative/discursive, and you get the whole yr to do that. Better than standard adv imo idk what the other guy meant. Maths advanced is okay too, better than ext maths I would say considering its worth only 1 unit. Legal, business and history are all content heavy subjects tho so unless if you fine w that since ur essay skills r good then i think it should be okay.

tiktoker1245

HSC
Jk I also respectfully disagree. I did 3u maths and 3u english in Year 11 and I was fine. I dropped to adv maths but that's what doing harder subjects is for, if you find it too hard you can drop. Two advanced is definitely manageable, thousands of students do it I believe.
yeah adv eng and maths is the lowest my school offers aside from tht i was thinking abt doing 3u eng but my school has a thing where you can’t do more than 12units in yr 11 due to being understaffed or something so i wld hv to drop a 2 unit subject to pick up sor1 + ext1 eng is it worth it?

mikamakonu

HSC
This is a terrible take, standard English is a total waste of time, it’s just as hard to get the same aligned mark except you’ll probably be dealing with a class and teacher who don’t care about English at all, and won’t do nearly as well. There’s a reason the band 6 rate for English standards is so low.

If you’re aiming for a high ATAR, I can’t stress enough that doing hard/content heavy subjects is a GOOD thing. Sure, it’s more work, but the HSC rewards putting in hard work, and so even if you do easy subjects, you will need to be doing the same amount of work to get the same scaled mark anyway. Doing hard subjects pretty much forces you to put in more effort, and guarantees you a decent ATAR.

If you’re not aiming for a high ATAR then go wild and do all standards etc, but based on their subject selection, that’s not the case.
You need 51% out of each exam weighting for Adv to Scale the same as the standard otherwise you fall below the cohort. Standard and Adv share 2 common modules- with the right teacher and attitude you can perform just as well if not better. If you don't meet that 51% on EVERY EXAM you are risking your ATAR. There's no point in doing Adv English if you're not doing extension as well (just my experience) As for content-heavy subjects, all of the humanities are extremely difficult but SAC has the most content with a major work in yr12. The scale for SAC this year is higher than SOR and Modern too.

carrotsss

HSC
You need 51% out of each exam weighting for Adv to Scale the same as the standard otherwise you fall below the cohort. Standard and Adv share 2 common modules- with the right teacher and attitude you can perform just as well if not better. If you don't meet that 51% on EVERY EXAM you are risking your ATAR. There's no point in doing Adv English if you're not doing extension as well (just my experience) As for content-heavy subjects, all of the humanities are extremely difficult but SAC has the most content with a major work in yr12. The scale for SAC this year is higher than SOR and Modern too.
The idea of having a common module is that a certain mark in standard can be matched to a mark in advanced based on the whole state percentiles in the common module, and so they can be converted to a fair scaled mark. There’s no “cutoff”, it’s just pure statistics, and marks below 50% scale just like marks above 50% - as an aside, a raw mark of 50 puts you in the bottom 7% of the English Advanced cohort, and an aligned mark of 50 puts you in the bottom 1% of the English Advanced cohort, so if you’re aiming for a high ATAR and getting that low, then you probably have other problems. There’s no such thing as being labelled as “falling behind” the cohort, even below 50% you’re still within the bottom 43% of standard students, so labelling that as “falling behind” would be ridiculous. Put simply, there is no scaling/cutoff conspiracy that should change your decision between standard and advanced.

The big difference is teaching quality, class quality, and effort. Most schools allocate the best teachers to advanced, have advanced classes full of motivated students who will push you up and require significantly more homework (and work in class), which makes a really big difference to your performance. As there’s no effective scaling differences, if you’re a dedicated student who tries hard anyway with an amazing teacher then you can absolutely overcome this (which is really impressive!) - but judging by the fact that just 1% of standard students get a band 6, very few students do. Personally, when I moved up from standard to advanced, I was immediately motivated by the nature of the class to try much harder, which leads to a much higher ATAR, irrespective of any difficulty or scaling differences.

I have nothing against SAC - in line with what I was saying earlier, if its content heavy then that’s a good thing, and if you enjoy it then there’s nothing wrong with doing it! :)

Cliiton

HSC

My reason: IF YOU DON"T MEET THE 51% WEIGHTING EXPECTATION AT A MINIMUM FOR BOTH ADVANCED your rank will drop substantially you're better to do 3u subjects whichever you have the highest literacy in. Also, 2022's dux at my school did one 3u advanced and got an ATAR of 94.4 and state rank for SOR1

Every subject is content heavy majority of the time you will be learning something new each lesson. I would choose subjects that go well together. Society and Culture is just as content-heavy as modern but with legal, economics and business the content will overlap in areas and help deepen your understanding. I'd also look at the Syllabus for each subject (they're on NESA's website) I switched last minute from Mod to SAC and it was the best decision of my life.
This is garbage advice don’t listen 😂

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
This is a terrible take, standard English is a total waste of time, it’s just as hard to get the same aligned mark except you’ll probably be dealing with a class and teacher who don’t care about English at all, and won’t do nearly as well. There’s a reason the band 6 rate for English standard is so low.
hit too close to home 💔

gmenoza

HSC
idk what the double advanced being bad means but i chose
advanced english
advanced math
engineering
physics
legal
sor1
for my year 11 subjects, is this good or should i consider changing, i want to get into engineering at unsw in the future..

carrotsss

HSC
idk what the double advanced being bad means but i chose
advanced english
advanced math
engineering
physics
legal
sor1
for my year 11 subjects, is this good or should i consider changing, i want to get into engineering at unsw in the future..
yeah that’s good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)