Year 12 - IMPORTANT MESSAGE (1 Viewer)

theMoment

HSC
If you try and read something, you'll have a 10% chance of memorising what you read.

If someone teaches you something, you'll have a 40% chance of memorisng what you hear.

If you try and teach somebody, you'll have a 90% chance of memorising what you say.

Therefore, spread the love and teach those that don't understand.

"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed"

Kralex

HSC
Seen it before, not many people want to be taught by someone their own age and younger people don't need to be taught what we are trying to teach.

I reckon:

If you come to an understanding of something yourself, you'll have a 100% chance of memorising it.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Everyone Functions differently, but nice to see you've found what works for you.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Just like this one. ;)
That was the point of it :)

+ I really think that teaching other people really helps. A lot of kids in my maths classes always ask for my help since I've accelerated the courses before and I'm more than happy to help... however I will refuse to tutor them for money because I don't think I am qualified to do that.

Some kids struggle in my other courses, and I'll help them - I teach them the course material and it does strengthen what I already know. In saying that, I learn most of my stuff through reading over stuff, then writing it myself.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
That's pretty true, since you have to have a fairly good understanding of the topic yourself before you can start helping others. Although some people can just absorb the information after reading/hearing it, which I am incredibly jealous of D<

also, uh, it's not nutcracker's birthday. just saying.

nonsenseTM

HSC
how is it important ?

and what does "Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed"
mean?

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
If you try and teach somebody, you'll have a 90% chance of memorising what you say.
surprisingly, this is very true[not the percentage].. it also helps when you're trying to memorise to speak out loud/or in your head.. talk to yourself

for me anyway!

0bs3n3

HSC
No, you already need to know it to teach someone else. You already know it because you read, highlighted, and summarised it beforehand.

A whole bunch of 'ummahhhumm-ing' while trying to teach someone won't make you any smarter. Self-fulfilling prophecy ftl.

twistedrebel

HSC
who wants to learn rocket maths, i ll teach you, then i ll understand 90% of it without ever knowing it! win

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Barely anyone asks me to teach them anything and if they do, they cut me off when I'm explaining the good bit :mad1:

hscishard

HSC
If you try and read something, you'll have a 10% chance of memorising what you read.
I really don't like those chances, but I also really don't believe in those chances.

From what I've experienced, if somone teaches me something I usually don't remember it (Perhaps bad teachers? Idk). If I read and understand everything, and write what I know; I remember almost everything.

Though this is completely the opposite for english :D. English is soo different for some reason.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Group tutor. Study in groups and share what you understand. Everyone will have something to consttribute - some more than others, but that is OK.

I tutored most of the second maths class through to the HSC and ###years later, was thanked by one of them, stating that if it weren't for me, she would have failed. To have that effect on someone's HSC is an AMAZING feeling.

It may be a competitive world, but, in the end, we all have to work together to make this place better, so start at school.

If everyone gets better marks, it brings up your school's scaling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)