Year 12 Subjects (1 Viewer)

donrob15

HSC
Ok I am new to all this but i have been on this site for ages and i think it is an excellent resource, so I came here looking for adivce

I am a year 11 student ( I have started the HSC) and I went ok in yr 11 (i managed to get DUX, but thats not the point). I love science, i do chem and physics; and I also like engineering (i want to be an engineer) so i do engineering studies. those subjects are down pat, i go good at them, do all my work and most of all i enjoy them. I also do advanced english: i dont really like it, but i work at it and I am going ok (although this imaginative journey stuff is confusing me a bit, but hey, thats waht holidays are for).

BUT Mathematics, oh dear. i did 3U in yr 11 and I went ok, but i find that I need to work harder at it to go as good in that as my other courses, and i find i only enjoy it when i am up to date, which is hardly ever. I decided to give extension 2 maths a go in yr 12 for various reasons: it is beneficial for engineering degrees, UAI scaler.... well thats about it. but i am finding it absolutly crazy and very hard. i just had an assessment and i didnt go well, because i was not prepared. I am prepared to work harder and 'smarter' at it, but I dont know. so this is my question:
is maths extension 2 really worth it?

i would also like to find out if and where top HSC acheivers leave pointers etc.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Congratulations on becoming DUX.
You get HSC all over the place- for individual subjects as well.

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
In my opinion, MX2 may end up being easier than normal mathematics if you're actually interested in the subject. The concepts are fairly simplistic once you gain a good grasp, and there isn't really a way they can "trick" you like they can in 2u mathematics. I would say it's a completely worthwhile course, and extremely interesting. However, in your decision you should NOT consider scaling, as if you end up with a band 6 in 4u maths, you'll probably end up with a higher band 6 in 2u maths, and it's roughly equivalent aggregate added to your UAI unless you end up with a lower band 6.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I didn't do Extension II and I'm glad. I like maths, but I'm not that interested.

If you were handling Extension I well and didn't find it too easy, then you should probably stick with it. Extension II requires a lot of your time, and unless you're prepapred to make sacrifices for it, it won't be worth doing. Remember you should never pick subjects based on scaling.

As for Engineering, does the assumed knowledge include Extension II maths? If yes, then you might want to put up with it for a bit longer to see if you can manage. If not, you're free to drop it. You never know, within a year you might change your mind.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Let me just say that you already have the right attitude to do well in ex2 maths. I like your determination. Go all out this holidays mate. Best of luck.

donrob15

HSC
yeah, most unis say that it well help a lot, and some say it is assumed knowledge

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Extension 2 Maths is not a prerequisite for any uni course. For engineering, HSC Maths and Physics are assumed knowledge, and Maths Extension 1 is recommended, from rusty memory. If you're good at maths and love it, then Extension 2 is your course. If you prefer the sciences however, I'd stick to Extension 1. That's the recommended course for Engineering, not Extension 2.

I_F

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you are prepared to work harder as you said in your first post, then i encourage to take it on, and see how it goes. However, do not fall behind! Otherwise it will be very difficult to catch up and the course is quite tight, as you have to cover 8 topics in like 3 terms!!!

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Riviet said:
If you are prepared to work harder as you said in your first post, then i encourage to take it on, and see how it goes. However, do not fall behind! Otherwise it will be very difficult to catch up and the course is quite tight, as you have to cover 8 topics in like 3 terms!!!
Always here to help with some helpful advice, thinking of the student and their future. I have to say your right yet again falling behind could be the only problem as long as you are capable of applying yourself and completing the work you should be fine. Also congratulations on making Dux not something that everyone gets and you should be proud of your achievements.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
firstly, congradulations on getting dux of year 11. you should be proud to of your all round achievements, and hope your achievements in year 11 may reflect your achievements in 2006...perhaps even better results.

i suggest staying with the 4U course.

as many people said, and i will say, it is quite interesting, and the scaling for this level of maths is excellent. if you want to be an engineer, Ext 1 maths is required, BUT, GOOD engineers will eventually have to master more complicated methods and topics, and 4U is a good head start into them.

it also gives you a more sound and solid foundation with 3U as well, because the level of reasoning and the method of logic in 4U you can apply to 3U easily. Many hard 3U questions would require some of this "4U thinking" and "logic", so you might say, 3U may be easier for you.

remember the good thing is that you can drop 4U if you dont like it, or you are lagging behind. at least them your 3U will be impeccable.

bad thing is, as many people have said, it requires a lot of work, and great sacrifices.

best of luck to you, and hope your career as a successful and prosperous engineer forever bloom brightly!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)