Year 12s - what ECAs do you have? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I'm wondering what activities/sports you guys are taking part in this year? my teachers always remind us to join more, so they can write my reference letter easier but I really have no idea what to join. any community service program/outside-school competition that you recommend? thanks heaps:angel:

starshine02

HSC
I used to volunteer at a Vinnies store in my suburb but I stopped for the Christmas break but I didn't end up going back again. I probably will again later. I also used to go down to the aged care centre and read/chat to some of the people there but that ended up being a bit dull (cos same people pretty much) and so I stopped doing that.

Playing sports is usually a good curricular activity but I personally don't like it, but there are heaps of sport places you could join up at.

Try to find activities that actually interest you so you won't just be doing it so your reference letter looks impressive.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Use to play various sports, rugby league, softball, basketball and soccer. Haven't got any work experience but I have volunteered a few times for Vinnies, mostly the breakie vans in Surry hills and have assisted in a few school based fun raisers.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Things I did in Yr 12 (had extracurriculars I did in other years but was too busy to do in Yr 12):
*Dance (RAD Adv 2 ballet level)
*Charity Work-member of Charity Committee, Legacy, Canteen Volunteering, helping at Homework Centre etc.
*Prefect which involved school duties
*Extracurricular academic comps like ICAS
*NYSF and NYSF International
*Public Speaking (Lion's, ANZAC Day Service and SMH) and Premier's Debating
*KLD program

There's seriously so many things to get involved with extracurricular wise with school or outer school. What are your interests, and maybe we can help steer you towards something :)

HSC
N/A
i am actually interested in dance but I have never tried before...is there any class I can join outside school? :O

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
i am actually interested in dance but I have never tried before...is there any class I can join outside school? :O
Hey, dance is fantastic and there's always so many styles etc. and it's never too late to start :)

You should look around studios in your local area for beginning teen open classes to try a style/styles or even you can do adult beginning classes. Is there a particular style you want to try? Also your school may have opportunities in dance, either classes, a performance group or getting involved with it at the school musical.

Let me know any dance questions, always feel free to PM me :)

stillthinkin

HSC
Extra curriculars are a great way to stay balanced and maintain your sanity during year 12. I did a bunch of stuff:
- School Captain
- Peer Support
- Red Cross Blood Ambassador
- Volunteering - legacy, cancer council etc.
- Public Speaking - international womens day breakfast
- Mock Trial
- Lady Somers Leadership Camp
- Sydney West Dance Festival
- Amnesty International - if you don't have one at your school you can always start one, you just need a teacher to supervise
- And I worked part time.

Just get involved as much as you can and it looks great when your applying for scholarships. :D

HSC
N/A
Extra curriculars are a great way to stay balanced and maintain your sanity during year 12. I did a bunch of stuff:
- School Captain
- Peer Support
- Red Cross Blood Ambassador
- Volunteering - legacy, cancer council etc.
- Public Speaking - international womens day breakfast
- Mock Trial
- Lady Somers Leadership Camp
- Sydney West Dance Festival
- Amnesty International - if you don't have one at your school you can always start one, you just need a teacher to supervise
- And I worked part time.

Just get involved as much as you can and it looks great when your applying for scholarships. :D
can you please tell me more about amnesty international? how can i get involved? ;o

HSC
I volunteer as a surf lifesaver and work part time. Occasionally I volunteer for charities but haven't done so for a couple of months.

Pfortune35

HSC
Basketball, football coaching, peer tutoring, working in a pharmacy and at the local oval

Examine

same
HSC
- Swimming
- Job delivering newspapers
- Prefect
- Mitchell Youth Leadership Camp

Planning:
- Red Shield Appeal
- Relay for Life
- Start a team for the 24 hour megaswim
- Mock trials

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)