Year advisor/s (1 Viewer)

Are you happy with what your year advisor/s have done for you throughout the years?

• Yes.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • No.

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i think theyre probably there to help you if you have any enquiries with different subjects you are taking, ie advice for continuing on/ dropping subjects, the process of the hsc scaling etc
i found them to be very helpful during the course of year 12, so dont take them for granted

HSC
jemsta said:
i think theyre probably there to help you if you have any enquiries with different subjects you are taking, ie advice for continuing on/ dropping subjects, the process of the hsc scaling etc
Wouldn't that be the Career's Advisors job? :confused:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
chocolate_lover said:
Wouldn't that be the Career's Advisors job? :confused:
well for me, i only went to my career advisor for work experience, and university matters regarding courses, pathways etc

i think different schools have their own different definitions as to what a career advisor is and a year advisor

Last edited:

xoCandyGurlxo

HSC
Our year advisor gives us supoort, if we have any probles at home or school or the stress is getting too much he is someone we can talk to just to get it off our chests. Last year i had heaps of issues and he really helped me through them. A year advisor should also be giving information about uni n things like that....well mine does.

Season

HSC
My school seems a bit different from others, we have tutors and a head of house which if you ask them anything, they tend to go out of their way to help us. Then we have our subject coorordinator who we go to when we want extensions/yr 12 certificate/BOS info. Then we have a careers teacher who is in charge of uni applications, scholarships, uni requirements etc.

They're all very very helpful but the subject coordinator is quite bitter actually, she knows her stuff but treats everyone like they're complete idiots so condecending, I think orginally she was full of passion but got delusioned somewhere down the track.

Sofstar

HSC
Season said:
My school seems a bit different from others, we have tutors and a head of house which if you ask them anything,
We have that too. Our year advisor plans our exam timetable and if you're sick during assessments and all she looks after all that.
Careers advisor does the subject dropping and uni stuff.

Amy Lou

Academic
HSC
They are there for everything concerning the year. Supposedly to organise group trips, the formal and all the other boring stuff.

Last edited:
HSC
Season said:
My school seems a bit different from others, we have tutors and a head of house which if you ask them anything, they tend to go out of their way to help us. Then we have our subject coorordinator who we go to when we want extensions/yr 12 certificate/BOS info. Then we have a careers teacher who is in charge of uni applications, scholarships, uni requirements etc.
At my school, we've also got a Stage Coordinator, who does what I've bold-ed.
Amy Lou said:
They are there for everything concerning the year. Supposedly to organise group trips, the formal and all the other boring stuff.
By group trips, does that include school camps for the whole grade?

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Our year advisor makes us sign forms and hands out major welfare awards and wears a suit. He probably does many more things, behind the scenes.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Our year advisor argues with our principal...quite funny really, especially when they pretend to get along. Other than that he organises our camps, delegates jobs (formal and jersey committees), advises us on future career paths (uni, BOS subject requirements etc) - in conjunction with other teachers eg deputies and careers advisers, is there for emotional support, reads out messages applicable to our grade, sets our exam timetables, basically looking out for the welfare of our grade. :)

xoCandyGurlxo

HSC
dr baby beanie said:
Our year advisor argues with our principal...quite funny really, especially when they pretend to get along. Other than that he organises our camps, delegates jobs (formal and jersey committees), advises us on future career paths (uni, BOS subject requirements etc) - in conjunction with other teachers eg deputies and careers advisers, is there for emotional support, reads out messages applicable to our grade, sets our exam timetables, basically looking out for the welfare of our grade. :)
Wow i thought my year advisor was the only one totally obsessed with committees he has a committee for everything.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
I could write thousands of words on why my Year Advisor is horrible, but I won't.

He's an absolute champion, but he's a PE teacher. This means that he associates each person in our grade with what sport each plays. If you don't play a sport, you don't get much of mention, I'm afraid. I swear he doesn't know that I've done debating since Year 8 still. He thinks I do IT and nothing else, simply because he always sees me in the computer rooms.. He's very subjective and biased in matters, apparently too. He really doesn't think too much about the academic side of schooling and measures each individual's success by how they have fared in sporting events over the previous year..

Sure, when I first moved to the school, he put me in the top classes after a phone call from my parents, but apart from that, he hasn't really done much.

Unfortunate, but he is still a champion bloke and good to have a quick chat to.

HSC
dr baby beanie said:
Hmmm, my Stage Coordinator also does what I've bold-ed.
bringbackshred said:
He thinks I do IT and nothing else, simply because he always sees me in the computer rooms.. He's very subjective and biased in matters, apparently too. He really doesn't think too much about the academic side of schooling and measures each individual's success by how they have fared in sporting events over the previous year..
I've got some (two) teachers like that, associating me with one of my subjects. I used to do Agriculture, but I dropped it at the end of last year (thank God), but last week, when we told the teacher one of the kids was away because of an Ag excursion, they looked at me and said why wasn't I there. They also seemed shocked/surprised that I had dropped it. I hated getting associated with Ag, because it never was: 1. my favourite subject, or 2. my best subject...

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
chocolate_lover said:
I've got some (two) teachers like that, associating me with one of my subjects. I used to do Agriculture, but I dropped it at the end of last year (thank God), but last week, when we told the teacher one of the kids was away because of an Ag excursion, they looked at me and said why wasn't I there. They also seemed shocked/surprised that I had dropped it. I hated getting associated with Ag, because it never was: 1. my favourite subject, or 2. my best subject...
It's the same here.. I think i had to actually tell him that I did Extension English, and he was somehow genuinely suprised at that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)