Yeats (1 Viewer)

T

Testpilot

I thought the question was good. It was only on two poems.

Thoughts? Good or bad...

Which poems did you pick?

JayJay07

HSC
I liked the Q too. At first I didn't because it specified EXACTLY 2 and I was going to do 3, but then it allowed me more time to do my own personal analysis of the poems which was awesome.

The poems I did were "When You Are Old" & "The Wild Swans At Coole" & I wouldn't be surprised if they were the main choices.

RainbowBrite

HSC
I thought the question was weird- more specific than I had planned on with the focus of age and youth.
My plan before the exam was to talk about three poems; "The Second Coming", "Easter 1916" and "When You Are Old". When I first read the question I just immediately thought 'They hate us! The want us to use "Sailing To Byzantium" and either "Byzantium" or "When You Are Old".' I hate S2B, so I did "When You Are Old" and "Easter 1916". My weakest essay of the three I think.

Lizcat

HSC
i did wild swans and sailing to byzantium.. i really wanted to write about the second coming.. but thats has nothing to do with age and youth. but anyways.. i think idid alright.. but it was the last thing that i did.. i wish i did it before freaking hamlet!! arghh.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
I did "Wild Swans", "Byzantium", and "Sailing to Byzantium". I hope that I won't get marked down for doing more than 2...

I wrote a good amount but I don't think I answered the question very well. And I wished I had more time to THINK about it, but I just had to write and write without stopping so goodbye to my thoughts...

I didn't get to "hammer my thoughts into some kind of unity", to quote Yeats.

silentprayer

silently praying
HSC
i did sailing to byzantium, byzantium and second coming and i dun think u should get marked down cos it said "discuss 2 in detail'-- something like that so u could use your third to reinforce... i love yeats his poetry is so exciting =) (not being sarcastic)

HSC
The question was ok. I did the wild swans at coole and the second coming and used 2 readings. My response was basically centered on the concept of change/changelessness and relating that to youth and age.

Benmc

HSC
I wrote about When You Are Old, And The Wild Swans at cool. The two easiest poems by far.

How the hell are we meant to itegrate our own personalr responses to the text. I don't have a bloody personal response. Its the fricking same response as reading it through a lyrical frame....

So what i did was take out a chunck of the lyrical frame notes and said...my first impressions of When you were old was it was simply a persuasion to Gonne to return to Yeats. But then through a lyrical frame it higlighted to me how yeats poetry is also about the transition of youth to age(d). This is done through the tense of the poem....blah...blah blah.....does this sound okay???

So yeah....7 pages on this..very shameful and messy handwriting...but i did manage to do a conclusion although it was shit...Some about anaylsing WHYA is better from a lyrical fram and TWSAC is better read lyrically..

I also just chucked in youth and age ever few paragraphs. So instead of writing this illustrates the passage of time, i wrote this illustrates the passage of time from youth to age..... Lol........

Damn...now i remember...why didn't i use "there hearts have no grown old" as a quote....

For somer reason i also talked about yeats trying to capture and eternalise the perfect present moment...Nothing to do with Youth and Age however....Anyone else do this???

quincyboi

HSC
I reckon the question was way too specific and suited about half the poems. As usual, the poems I knew were the ones least suited to aging. Easter 1916, The Second Coming and Swans (not so much Swans).

So stupid and I wrote that I was going to talk about three texts in the intro and did two......I sorta had a half conclusion that only mentioned Easter 1916.
6.5 pgs. Up until 3 mins to go I thought I was going three texts then actually read the question properly. If it was 3 I would have been fcuked.

:confused:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I found the question a bit too specific as well; it was hard to relate my ideas / thesis to the concept of "age and youth" but I did manage to somehow weave it in.

1qaz2wsxokm

HSC
i wrote about wild swanz at coole and 2nd coming buh i hope i linked 2nd comin well enuff! i talked abt 3 readings 4 each i tink as well as around 10 critical voices...hope i did well =)!

Lockhart

Fugitive/assasin
HSC
I thought it was my best section simply because i was prepared for it best. i agree that the question was specific, age and youth, but i managed to weave my concepts i thought. I had prerpared for Sailing to bysantium, Second coming and when you are old as an optional. I found it difficult to get stuff out on the youth part and the poems aren't really about age but rather death , which is simmilar but not quiet the same thing I thought. About immortality. Any way I thought it was alright I had more trouble with module A.

square-nothing

HSC
i thought it was a fair question the only thing i was annoyed about was the fact i wrote about 3 then read the question again in the final minutes of the exam the exact word that went through my head F********CCCCKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!! i wrote about The Second Coming, When You Are Old and Wild Swans at Coole but i crossed out when you are old now i look back it was probably a stupid decision but at the time the other two fit the conclusion better
oh well it's over now

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
I actually thought the question left alot of room for expansion.
I based my thesis on how his beliefs in the gyres related to the ages and eras of man as well as the aging process. So I linked it to textual integrity.
I wrote about The Second Coming and The Wild Swans At Coole.
I figured that alot of people would choose to do Wild Swans and When You Are Old, and I was considering When You Are Old but I dont actually see much 'meat' within its content compared to Swans and Second Coming. And I loved Second Coming...so yeah.

I think I liked that essay the most actually.
I was happy =)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
um i am almost CERTAIN (and my teachers agree) that you would have to choose a poem AND do readings that related to age and youth.

so i think the second coming is almost out of the question? its a psychoanalytical/political/occult symbols type of poem i don't see ageing and youth. the gyres can symbolise age cause its an occult symbol for the cyclical nature of history but then i think a quarter of the state who had prepared an essay with the second coming would be saying that so meh

i really thought only wild swans and when you are old (what i had prepared exclusively) would fit the question but looking back sailing to byzantium and byzantium have quite a few links.

how about easter 1916, i still see it as a poem on the harshness of fascism according to orwell and refuse to see the age and youth here :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)