Yeats (1 Viewer)

kittiekat

HSC
N/A
Is anyone else studying Yeats poetry for their critical study? So far his poems are already confusing and i was wondering if anyone might have some useful links or who might know stuff about Yeats themselves?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
uhh, what exactly do you want to know? be more precise. I don't see how his poems are 'confusing', most of them relate to irish history or irish revolutionaries or maud gonne, there's not *that* much variety :p

schmutt

Hello
im also studying Yeats... im also a bit stuck with this module aswell, seeing as i dont really know what we are ment to know and have to talk about in the actual exam. at my school we didnt really consentrate on readings or interpretations, but rather what the poem was saying about yeats and life in general... i really have no idea what we are ment to know.. does anyone have any pointers?

kittiekat

HSC
N/A
Hey there, well I did Yeats for last year's HSC and basically, just know the main themes of the poems, know two in detail because you'll most likely be asked to make some sort of comparison, and know a bit about his background as well because that will help make sense of the poems.

You don't need to know every single poem, but know a few pretty well and memorize some quotes that represent the main themes in the poems. Then you'll just have to apply them to whatever question they give you.

You might not be able to do both Byzantium and Sailing to Byzantium, so study them both but study a third one as well in case they ask for a comparison between a different poem and one of the Byzantium ones.

Hope that helps, can't remember much cos it was a year ago now, but good luck :D

mikeryan69

HSC
N/A
Basically know a few in detail cause they can possibly ask you to write about 2. this has happened before where they specified a poem in which had to be used and it threw people into chaos for the exam. know the main themes and also context to an extent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)