Yellow Shirters - Round 2 (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
So who made the cut?

I got a call today, I've made it to the interviews :p yey...

But why is the interview so long? what the hell are they gonna do for 3 1/2hrs?

sunny

meh.
HSC
babydoll_ said:
So who made the cut?

I got a call today, I've made it to the interviews :p yey...

But why is the interview so long? what the hell are they gonna do for 3 1/2hrs?

They get you to go through all these group activities, and have assessors watching you....thats what happened last year anyway.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Group activities x a lot, group interviews x1 if i remember correctly

B

Bambul

It's different every year. There will be activities you have to do (play an RPG in a group, make a poster in a group, create a machine that moves for a long time...in a group, etc) and there are people watching you and writing down what you do. Then they cull the list down to 140 people and they become Yellow Shirts.

Basically unless you made no effort on your application form (e.g. What are the aims of O-Week? To pick up chicks is a bad answer) you will get through to the interview stage.

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
Hey Bambul, I looked at your user icon and I think I saw you at the second round of Yellow Shirts on Saturday. I think you were in my group for the RPG. I was Amy, with a yellow square and a smiley face, LOL. I don't know if you noticed me. I kinda faded into the background, so I'd be very suprised if I get a letter of acceptance. Oh well, there's always next year. I am interested in the other volunteer activities for the uni though. I hope you did well!

B

Bambul

How cool was the game activity.

And how good was actually finishing without anyone dying? :)

Going through my head I can't seem to recall who you were. I mainly stuck to my little corner (where coincidentally most of the people from the group which I knew were sitting).

P.S. For anyone who doesn't get through - please don't be discouraged from applying again next year. Just because you've been rejected doesn't mean you'd make a bad yellow shirt, you may have just got unlucky with the group you got or the activities for that year.

There are a lot of people (including ex-yellow shirts) who you would think would make it in and don't (and vice versa). e.g. I was a yellow shirt in 2003 but was rejected for 2004, Suzy (one of the squad leaders, you may have had her for one of your activities) was rejected for 2003, was accepted in 2004 and is now a squad leader. There are a lot of others too.

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
Bambul said:
How cool was the game activity.
And how good was actually finishing without anyone dying? :)
Going through my head I can't seem to recall who you were. I mainly stuck to my little corner (where coincidentally most of the people from the group which I knew were sitting).
P.S. For anyone who doesn't get through - please don't be discouraged from applying again next year. Just because you've been rejected doesn't mean you'd make a bad yellow shirt, you may have just got unlucky with the group you got or the activities for that year.
There are a lot of people (including ex-yellow shirts) who you would think would make it in and don't (and vice versa). e.g. I was a yellow shirt in 2003 but was rejected for 2004, Suzy (one of the squad leaders, you may have had her for one of your activities) was rejected for 2003, was accepted in 2004 and is now a squad leader. There are a lot of others too.
The activity game was pretty good, but I didn't expect it to be so complicated. LOL. I wonder if any members were meant to die in the exercise. Some group members were absolutely amazing, especially those that solved the puzzles in a matter of seconds.

I think I will go for Yellow Shirts again next year. I wasn't prepared enough for it this year. I chose to go, only when I realised a friend of mine was going, without being certain whether or not I wanted to. Being at the second round of Yellow Shirts made me realise how much of a difference I could make on campus, so I'd like to volunteer my services in the future, whether or not it's with Yellow Shirts. :D

B

Bambul

To all of you who haven't received your letter from Yellow Shirts yet (that should be everyone), don't panic. They haven't been sent out yet, so it doesn't mean you didn't get in yet.

They get sent out so that they arrive after the Volunteers Ball, despite what Mike said at the interviews that you should have got it by Friday week 10. They say that every year.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
haha your process is obviously way harder
on my usyd application i wrote, "i think we should give out more free stuff" and i got an interview, which i just rocked up to having prepared nothing. and then i got through haha

B

Bambul

Toodulu said:
haha your process is obviously way harder
on my usyd application i wrote, "i think we should give out more free stuff" and i got an interview, which i just rocked up to having prepared nothing. and then i got through haha
And I hear you get paid for doing it at USyd. Seeing how easy it was for you to get in they must have trouble getting people to help out during O-Week. Good old UNSW, over 300 people trying out for 135 unpaid volunteer positions. [My attempt at a stab at USyd ;)]

B

Bambul

So did any other BOS people get into Yellow Shirts for next year?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yellow Shirts are the Orientation Week volunteers

CrashOveride

HSC
and what are the advantages of doing volunteer stuff...to give them some kind of contribution to uni life for scholarship or something?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)