yet another computer problem (1 Viewer)

Bimbo

Southern Girl
HELP ME PLEASE!!

My fiance's Dimension 4600 desktop (service tag841581S) is experiencing an error at startup...and it has only just started happening, :( so i'm not sure if it's something that i've done.

When i have turned the computer on, a window comes up stating that 'Windows cannot load the locally stored profile, possibly due to insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If problem persists contact your netowrk administrator'. After 30 seconds, this window is replaced by a second window that says 'Windows is logging on with a temporary profile as it cannot find the local profile'. This window goes after 30 seconds, and the computer slowly starts up with a temporary profile. There's only the one profile on there, my fiance's, and the guest profile isn't activated. Could anyone suggest what is wrong with it?

Thanks!

Bimbo

Southern Girl
it's Win XP....i have NO idea what it is...happens every time i turn on his computer now.

Bimbo

Southern Girl
i don't think it will let me? because the only profile he has on there is his own, which is the main administrator profile.

Bimbo

Southern Girl
what will that do? Is that where everything gets wiped and the only stuff on there is what the computer originally had installed?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Bimbo
what will that do? Is that where everything gets wiped and the only stuff on there is what the computer originally had installed?
no it just returns your computer back to the state it was before the problem came about...but no files/documents will b deleted though.

Huy

HSC
N/A
From http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum9/4891.htm

1. Create a new administration account
2. Log into the new account
3. Log out and enter the corrupt account again.
4. Copy the corrupt users details (all of C:\Documents and Settings\<username> to C:\Documents and Settings\<new user>
5. Now log into the new users account
6. Delete the corrupt user.

Also see:
http://www.it-faq.pl/msKnowledgeBase/data/misc1/en-us/812/339.HTM

Create a New User Account
To create a new user account, follow these steps:

1. Start the computer in Safe Mode, and then restart the computer.
a. After the Power On Self Test (POST), press the F8 key.
b. On the Windows Advanced Options menu, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
c. When you are prompted to select the operating system to start, select Windows XP <edition>, where <edition> is the edition of Windows XP that you have installed, and then press ENTER.

2. Log on as Administrator.
a. On the "To begin, click your user name" screen, click Administrator.
b. Type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.

Note In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER.

3. In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
4. Create a new user account. Windows makes a new directory for the account in the Documents and Settings folder.
5. Quit the User Accounts tool, and then restart the computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)