you decide!!! pt. 2 (1 Viewer)

should spin spin drop out?

• Total voters

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
ok..i guess thats ONE thing to look forward to when I drag myself through ECMT next yr lol

Sarah

HSC
N/A
awww... don't drop out!

I'm not the greatest at stats/math (Minai can vouch for that) and loathe it with a passion but even i managed to scrape through with a pass for a stats subject i did last yr.

I'm sure that with a little revision, you'll get through it.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
spin spin sugar said:
oh my god 1 in 5 is HEAPS, especially when i consider how EVERYONE ive spoken to in ecmt is way ahead of me..

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Spin spin, I'm doing psychology as a major and it's compulsory for me to do a stats subject for it.

In the first lecture, the first personi spoke to failed the subject.

In my first tute, the first person i sat next to failed the subject.

Needless to say, this didn't make me feel too good about the subject especially as i struggled through first yr stats. But i'm going to persist coz i like studying psych.

So just think that when you do pass ecmt (or whatever it's called), you can do all the marketing subjects you want!

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
you know if u spent all ur time thinking about failing and actually did some study you would be one of those ppl

dont drop out

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
it just seems so ... i dont know. infuriating? frustrating? futile? and a bunch of other f words

thanks for your reassurance sarah, it does make me feel better although the prospect of certain failure is never really attractive

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
you know if u spent all ur time thinking about failing and actually did some study you would be one of those ppl

dont drop out
its hard to study something when you dont understand it from square one. i seriously need my own private teacher.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
fuck

sorry dude but youre wrong, i havent done maths for four years and i really dont understand basic concepts so before you start lecturing me to study instead of complain, try telling me what the fuck i should study when i dont understand a word of it

im TRYING, im doing maths revision from year 10 for crying out loud, and i have a tutor, but i just know im still going to fail, because i have A LOT to catch up on

so go away, its not helpful saying what youre saying, as nice as yr intent may be

HSC
and look at the questions for the ecmt assignment for godsake ;)..they arn't all that hard and seem pretty straight forward, i think :)
get a head start on it.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
wow grace dont get pissed

but ur throwing a lot away u have to admit that- u have to decide whther its worth it to try and maybe fail once and to continue on or not

if ur stuck on yr 10 maths that is a concern though, all im saying is that saying ur going to fail wont help you, but trying to pass will- no matter how hard it is and amount of help u get

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
well thats the point im trying to convey josie, yeah i AM stuck on year 10 maths, so im not just whinging unnecassarily, this is genuinely REALLY fucking challenging for me. so whatever. i am trying, but its just annoying knowing im probably going to fail a million times however hard i try.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
well that sucks and sounds like a challenge and i know its easy for someone to say continue on, but its what u want that matters

how do u know ull fail, maybe ull pass this time or the next ....im not big on fate but dont give in

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
1 in 5 people fail ecmt, there about 900+ students, so you'll have a pretty good chance at passing, so keep it
Ummm where did u get a 1 in 5. That's rediculously high. Apparently its 15%, and my tutor said its actually 5% according to last year. The uni won't try make you fail. The thing is unis have a high drop out rate (people like you will know this :) ).
Also, although ecmt is a prereq for the mktg major, the faculty may let you waive that requirememnt if you can prove that you've been putting in effort.

Also, people who fail (speaking to those who've failed) don't really put any effort in. Especially because its first year, theyve come out after studying for the hsc and dont give a shit. Then the failing gives them a scare to get back into line. The other group of people who fail are the ones who realise theyre going to drop out.
Thus you usually get far lower failure percentages in subjects for 2nd-5th year students.

If you don't want to fail desperately, then chances are you won't. I'm going to be putting in so much study-time, sacrificing sexy-time, for the egayometrics. Just to pass. I know it will make everything so much easier from then on in. After all, if we can all get high uai's then we can handle a slightly-challenging subject, which I am not sure will even get that much harder as time progresses. I'm hoping we're getting taught the complex shite now and will eventually just have to put all of it into practice.

Look, I hardly understand any of the shit we've been taught. I sit in lectures wide-eyed. In part marvelling at tig. In part unable to grasp ANY of the maths.
But, what you have to do is just try and go through a couple of formulas by yourself.
Like, I couldnt get that quadratics shit, but when I did it for the assignment with henry, i decided to try it without the use of excel. That's how i memorised the formula.
Also, make use of the maths learning centre. I know i haven't yet, but I will first week back as theres heaps of stuff i need to do.

I'm really not letting you drop out of uni again. And if you explain to tig what youre faced with: im sure he'll put in extra hours to sex/help you.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i think it's silly to drop out of uni altogether because of one subject. we've only had 3 weeks of uni there's still a lot of time for you to study. but even if you do fail, at the end of the day a lot of people fail ecmt, it'd be so silly for all of them to quit uni just because they failed a subject.
you can't decide how you will find it the 2nd time around right now.. and even if you still find it challenging there are so many ways around it. you can talk to the university and get special consideration (there's this thing called conceded pass where you fail but they let you pass the subject anyway), and you don't necessarily have to do ecmt1010.. there are other maths/stats subjects you can do (my friend transferred into commerce this year and she didn't have to do ecmt1010)

anyway, it just seems like we've only had 3 weeks of uni, and you're making all these drastic decisions when there are still plenty of options that you haven't sought out

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i guess, i didnt know things like that conceded pass thing existed - whats the deal with that?

i am being drastic, but i guess thats the feeling i get when i stare at my ecmt textbook and dont understand a single fucking page of it. i won't drop out, ive realised that now, i just hate this whole subject

could you tell me any more about any other alternatives? i mean as far as i understood, a prereq is a prereq and theres no if's or but's.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Well my friend failed a requirement/prerequisite for Agricultural Science in semester 2 but managed to talk to her faculty about it and so she has to redo it but she can also do her semester two 2nd year subjects. She passed everything else though. USyd does give concessions for this type of thing cause I'm doing 2nd subjects and one 1st year this semester even though I'm barely coping cause I have multiple clashes. Just saying that it is possible to redo it and not have to stay back a year extra if you can pass everything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)