You guys really need to... (1 Viewer)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
SashatheMan said:
any jobs? or course related?

and what type of extra-curricular stuff looks really good to the employer?
There is no industrial training in the course, however, doing the combined degree definately gives you an edge over single degree IT and Business students. Doing something like Accounting helps a lot too. You should try and work somewhere during your 4 years. Some students in your course are doing cadetships and some are working part time, mostly at Accounting firms. You should also look at applying for summer vacation jobs as well.

You should definately get involved in some extra curricular activities as they will almost always ask you about these at interviews. Having nothing to say for that question is a bit dull. Also, it will help you answer teamwork and leadership type questions outside of your subject work as well, which shows you are a balanced person (hopefully).

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
jasee said:
There is no industrial training in the course, however, doing the combined degree definately gives you an edge over single degree IT and Business students. Doing something like Accounting helps a lot too. You should try and work somewhere during your 4 years. Some students in your course are doing cadetships and some are working part time, mostly at Accounting firms. You should also look at applying for summer vacation jobs as well.

You should definately get involved in some extra curricilar activities as they will almost always ask you about these at interviews. Having nothing to say for that question is a bit dull. Also, it will help you answer teamwork and leadership type questions outside of your subject work as well, which shows you are a balanced person (hopefully).
how am i able to get parttime at accounting firm, if i am only in first year and just did a subject of accounting.? would they hire someone who has so little experience

T

timbk2

yes.. prepare to get bombarded with team/work leadership questions that youve experienced, in your interviews. You dont want to sit there without an answer

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
SashatheMan said:
how am i able to get parttime at accounting firm, if i am only in first year and just did a subject of accounting.? would they hire someone who has so little experience
Well firstly, to throw you into the deep end, you might want to consider applying for the CA Achiever program, which you can find on the Fly Higher website (http://www.flyhigher.com). It's open to first year Business students and basically you just need to have completed Accounting For Business. It's a good program but very hard to get into.

I know a number of 2nd year BBus/BComp students working at companies at the moment, so it is possible to get a job if you have the right skills.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
jasee said:
Well firstly, to throw you into the deep end, you might want to consider applying for the CA Achiever program, which you can find on the Fly Higher website (http://www.flyhigher.com). It's open to first year Business students and basically you just need to have completed Accounting For Business. It's a good program but very hard to get into.

I know a number of 2nd year BBus/BComp students working at companies at the moment, so it is possible to get a job if you have the right skills.
you can do this in second year aswell???? it sais so on the site.

i kinda stuffed up in my accounting exam and only got a pass, do u tihnk i would have a chance next semester if i get high credit/distinction average?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I'm sure not. Have you done the proper application form though?

NonExistant

Don't read this sentance.
HSC
Sign up now Sasha, you have till the 21st, what you signed up for was the email telling you about it, which you should of got.

You have to fill in a resume/questionaire thingy.

My question is can I do it even if I don't want to do an accounting major? Like the questionaire says "what two areas of accounting are you interested in. If I just researched it abit and faked it, they're not going to hate me if I choose not to continue in accounting are they?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)