• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Young Achievers (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merforga

Just wondering, who here has applied for the Young Achievers Business Skills Program? If you havent already, i suggest you do! It is very very good and if you end up as a Managing Director (like i was ^^) or any of the other directors it will help you in Yr12. The main thing it taught me was time management. It took up a lot of my time but it was all worth it. You:

1) Learn about how a buisness works
2) Meet new people
3) Learn Time Management
4) Get a bit of cash at the end ^^ ( I got personally $200 at the end of the programme =D)
5) Get a certificate at the end which looks very good in your resume =)

So if you havents already apply here:

http://www.yaa.org.au

Oh yeh, and if you are in it and need help with anything then just ask me ^^. I know how hard it is, especially with the buisness plan and annual report. ^^.

Cheers! =D

Michiru

HSC
YEP!!! i did!!! i did!!!
*waves hand madly in air*

but i haven't got a reply back from them yet...:(
maybe i got rejected...

Merforga

Heheh thats what i thought. They'll reply via letter about early term 2 depending on if they're competant or not. I know i got my reply in April and started in June -_-". Just depends on who your sponsor company is ^^. Just be patient. No one gets rejected unless they get fired by the managing director for incompetance....ahh the memories ^^

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
yeah, i did it last year as well and got really frustrated when they ignored my application and kept ignoring me, even when other ppl were in groups... BUT don't worry! they will put you in a group eventually. They're just very disorganised which you'll see if you attend any of their events during the year.

Definitely apply. It takes up a lot of time but it's great experience and you'll get to work with a bunch of ppl from different schools (of course, whether or not you get along with them is a whole different matter... :p) You learn a lot throughout the program, even if it's stuff you didn't think you were interested in, and it never feels like schoolwork.

Last edited:

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
Yeah I did it last year. The key to getting in is, when you fill in the application form,they want you to write stuff in the "other comments" section. Basically ramble on about how you like to learn, and meet new people etc etc

Merforga

Originally posted by ~dEjA vOuX~
Yeah I did it last year. The key to getting in is, when you fill in the application form,they want you to write stuff in the "other comments" section. Basically ramble on about how you like to learn, and meet new people etc etc

Doesnt matter. Everyone gets accepted anyway ^___^

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
Originally posted by Merforga
Doesnt matter. Everyone gets accepted anyway ^___^
Actually, at my school almost everyone applied, and I think probably less than half were accepted...

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
Yeah i did it last yr as well. i was FINANCE DIRECTOR! but the thing was i needed so much help in the calculations.
nevertheless we made a profit

Kulazzi

HSC
Originally posted by Merforga
Just wondering, who here has applied for the Young Achievers Business Skills Program? If you havent already, i suggest you do! It is very very good and if you end up as a Managing Director (like i was ^^) or any of the other directors it will help you in Yr12. The main thing it taught me was time management. It took up a lot of my time but it was all worth it. You:

1) Learn about how a buisness works
2) Meet new people
3) Learn Time Management
4) Get a bit of cash at the end ^^ ( I got personally $200 at the end of the programme =D)
5) Get a certificate at the end which looks very good in your resume =)

So if you havents already apply here:

http://www.yaa.org.au

Oh yeh, and if you are in it and need help with anything then just ask me ^^. I know how hard it is, especially with the buisness plan and annual report. ^^.

Cheers! =D
Yup, It's great to boost ur skills and learning of a business. I did last year when I was in year 10, and it's cool!!!!! As Merforga mentioned, you do get a certificate for participation plus if your company wins anything, like a marketing award or environmental award on the awards night, it's another bonus towards ur resume :uhhuh:

Merforga

Originally posted by ~dEjA vOuX~
hahaha why would they make it up?
To be cool ^__^.

Anyways, if you are in it this year then start thinking up of names. Remember it has to have "YA" somewhere in it together like that. For example my company was "SlaYA". Trust me, the earlier you organise things like the more money you will make. What you can do before the program starts is a list of names that you could name your company and a list of products that you could make. A guideline for the products, it has to be REAL, AFFORDABLE (you only get about $500 starting capital) and possibly INNOVATIVE AND UNIQUE! Have a list of these when you walk into your first and second meeting and you'll be at the top of the group in no time. I know we spent 6 weeks deciding on a product and name for the company. It was not good. ><

Kulazzi

HSC
we were Empiya Enterprises and another group was called Empiya so it was pretty confusing betweeen the two. :D

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
Originally posted by Kulazzi
we were Empiya Enterprises and another group was called Empiya so it was pretty confusing
...and there was another one called Empiya Group so it just looked like one big rip-off. :D

Merforga

Originally posted by Kulazzi
we were Empiya Enterprises and another group was called Empiya so it was pretty confusing betweeen the two. :D

Hehe im good friends with Empiya's MD. And Empiya Group too. So many Empiya's! GAH! ><. Dun see anyone taking Slaya :p

astro

HSC
I was in Empiya Enterprises too..........and in my honest opinion this whole Young Acheivers thing is very time consuming and you've got to be committed to succeed......and even though i was managing director i was pretty unmotivated......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)