Young Liberals (4 Viewers)

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
So I've always been a liberal, but recently I've decided to get more involved and have been thinking about joining the YL. Can anyone, who is a member, tell me what it's like, what campaigning, projects you do. Also information on how to join.

I would look it up but the website seems to be down and I would like a first hand insight before i do join so i can see what its all about.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Tsup! I'm from the Killara YLs. :)

We.. well, the YLs is very much integrated with the university Lib clubs, and we generally do stuff together - State Councils, where we debate policy (haha that's a lot of fun!), generic and generally alcoholic meetups, parties and other events; campaigning for local, state and federal campaigns (also Uni elections if you're at Uni), etc.

I can hook you up with a membership form if you want to join :)

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I'm in the Lane Cove branch and much the same as what Kwayera said, it's aslo a great opportunity to meet members of parliament and other people your age with similar ideologies.

If you've got something in particular that you're vocal about then you can raise it at your own branch meeting and it may be selected for a Council which it will be debated/put as a motion by the NSW Young Liberals Division.

You can join and do as much or as little as you like. There is no obligation.

Good luck!

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
JaredR said:
I'm in the Lane Cove branch and much the same as what Kwayera said, it's aslo a great opportunity to meet members of parliament and other people your age with similar ideologies.
They're not all Jews?

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
No.

But don't worry I am there to push my Zionist agenda in order to fulfil the well-known conspiracy that the Zionists are taking over the world, all government institutions and all political parties.

We won't rest until the world is ours!

[/Sarcasm]

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Raven3333 said:
So I've always been a liberal, but recently I've decided to get more involved and have been thinking about joining the YL. Can anyone, who is a member, tell me what it's like, what campaigning, projects you do. Also information on how to join.

I would look it up but the website seems to be down and I would like a first hand insight before i do join so i can see what its all about.
I'm currently in Hills YLs, but more involved in campus activities. On campus we do student elections like the Union one you're seeing at the moment (side note: I went to Manning balcony at 9 to try and find you to ram a pamphlet down your throat, you weren't there :p), drinks nights with MPs, discuss policy, have conferences in Sydney/Canberra/Melbourne which is basically a week solid of guest speakers and functions every night. If you want to get involved have a look out for us in the Sash shirts and we'll set you up with a membership form and all that jazz.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Malfoy said:
That amuses me. Are you still a YL?
Not presently, as I haven't been able to be involved due to other commitments. However, have spoken to various people and might be rejoining in the not too distant future.. (right now the party needs all the involved members it can get)

ubernuton

HSC
have u ever talked to a young lib from a human perspective
u are facists
and i'm not saying u shouldn't exist only that many if not all of u deserve to die
the orgainistion can still exist only all it member should die

by the way young labour is almost as bad it just there for supid young people that want to think they are doing someting

resistance is the way to go

Last edited:

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
withoutaface said:
I'm currently in Hills YLs, but more involved in campus activities. On campus we do student elections like the Union one you're seeing at the moment (side note: I went to Manning balcony at 9 to try and find you to ram a pamphlet down your throat, you weren't there :p), drinks nights with MPs, discuss policy, have conferences in Sydney/Canberra/Melbourne which is basically a week solid of guest speakers and functions every night. If you want to get involved have a look out for us in the Sash shirts and we'll set you up with a membership form and all that jazz.
I was there from 8.30 till 9.20 (guy with a million cigarette butts around him looking stressed) but anyway since you made the effort to come (mostly cause you are a liberal) I will vote for SASH

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Just out of interest, do the YL's kick people out if their views are consistently incongruent with the party line?
Well, let's see. I'm:
- atheist
- pro-gay
- pro-choice

I think those are some of the main ones, and I'm still there :)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Triangulum said:
he will be prime minister forever in the young liberals' hearts.
Yes. :( John Howard is the Prime Minister. KRudd is just the Prime Dickhead.

/petty

kokodamonkey

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Just out of interest, do the YL's kick people out if their views are consistently incongruent with the party line?
there are 2 types of people. there are those that stand back and criticise how things are done, then there are those that get involved and contribute their views and ideals with the hope to change how things are. They are the ones that have a right to criticise.

My point being that by joining you shape and mould liberal party policy. Views are not forced down your throat, if we all had the same views we'd just be clones, and trust me, if you compare Kwayera, withoutaface, Malfoy and myself (who are all very good friends in RL) we have very different beliefs and ideals. However we all share the same common core beliefs of the Liberal Party, which is that of the idea of the free-market system.

So even if you do not agree 100% with what the Liberal Party currently stands for or believes in, but you do agree with some of its core ideals, then your more then welcome to join and contribute and to shape and make the party the way you want it to be. But if you don't share those core values.. then maybe the Liberal Party isn't for you.

On a side note i am in The Hills Young Liberals, and am a member of sydney uni liberal club, and i am happy to meet up with you tomorrow morning if you want to get that famous Pamphlet or even a party membership form just let me know.

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
Dude are you serious its going to be 9 degrees tomorrow and the forecast says its windy so I'm not going to uni. Lol jokes I actually have to get my ribs x-rayed to see if they have healed so I won't be at uni. I also ordered a membership kit over the net so all good. However can you tell me more about the liberal club in syd uni and what that is about.

kokodamonkey

HSC
Raven3333 said:
Dude are you serious its going to be 9 degrees tomorrow and the forecast says its windy so I'm not going to uni. Lol jokes I actually have to get my ribs x-rayed to see if they have healed so I won't be at uni. I also ordered a membership kit over the net so all good. However can you tell me more about the liberal club in syd uni and what that is about.
come along to a meeting sometime.
Well liberal clubs are different from the liberal party, they are separate and its just the name they have in common however liberal clubs tend to support the liberal party because they share the same values and ideas.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I'm a student politician. Look at me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)