Young Writers Showcase (1 Viewer)

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
i burnt my documents to a CD and mailed that...

btw, i did a RADIO DRAMA

meg__

HSC
Hey, I got a letter around the 24th of December I guess and only posted the consent form back (express) and emailed the major work around the 27th. I got an automated reply email from BOS saying Anne (who I assume is the coordinator of the Young Writers Showcase) won't be back in the office until the 15th of January. Did this happen to anyone else and do you know if that means I will not be considered now?

Thanks and congratulations.

meg__

HSC
prishika said:
Question for all the ppl who have been nominated: are u sending the electronic copy by email or on a usb or something?

I sent mine via email and i got a reply that said

"I will be out of the office starting 22/12/2006 and will not return until
15/01/2007.

I will respond to your message when I return."

errrrrr i hope this doesnt stuff anything up :S :S :S

Yeah I probably should have read other peoples posts. Sorrry about that... And yes I got the same reply (as stated above) and I too hope it doesn't stop the publishing wheels from turning.

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
does anyone know when we'll actually know if we're in the book???

meg__

HSC
Soooorrry if this has already been talked about, but do we know who is published and who is not yet?

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
I got an email yesterday morning telling me that it went to press yesterday and that my major work was included!!! :D I'm rather excited!!! They said they'll send me a copy of the book within the next few weeks

shimmy&shine

HSC
congrats nick!

was this sent to your DET email?
I've completely forgotten my password so i can't access it. :(
I haven't heard anything so i still have my fingers crossed..

congrats again!!!

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
hey guys thanks! um it was sent via my personal email that I had given them at their request when they told me that I was nominated late last year... they told everybody last week, as that was the day that the books went to press.

sorry if anybody had their hopes up for being in the book - but never give up hope that you could ever publish somebody. all you have to do is step into a library and realise the possibility of getting something published within your life... somethings in libraries are utter crap which goes to show how easy it is to get something published ;)
just keep going for whatever you want

I'm really happy as I had actually set myself a goal at the start of 2006 (at the end of 2005 really) to get into the book, and funnily enough I made it ...

...now my life continues...

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Nick_R said:
sorry if anybody had their hopes up for being in the book - but never give up hope that you could ever publish somebody. all you have to do is step into a library and realise the possibility of getting something published within your life... somethings in libraries are utter crap which goes to show how easy it is to get something published
Congratulations to everyone who got into that but to burst your bubble here, it is ridiculously hard to get something published.

Australian publishing at the moment is horrendous, they won't look at your work unless you've got an agent and even then it's a mere glance. The slush piles are huge and there's no incentive for them to publish your work. Ever. Also, if they do want to publish you it's because you've written a fluff piece that will most likely be commercially successful for a year or two and nothing else.

So Nick, take this as your extremely lucky day :)

(sorry to be a cynical bitch but it had to be said).

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
actually, if you know somebody with money or know people in high places its quite easy... you need to follow the right course of action though. If you simply just wrote something and want it published, chances are it won't be - put if you work up a reputation through amatuer writing, in journals, newspapers, and forms of new media you've got a greater chance...
...yes as you say I got lucky - I can use this as a base if I ever want anything published... I know of people in the past who have been published after appearing in Young Writer's Showcase

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
No publisher will look at your work if you're a nobody, true. Even if you write for magazines, get some things published in amateur circles, it's still incredibly difficult to get something published that's not a commercial fluff piece.

No offence but I'd prefer not to go the route of nepotism or to use someone else's money (I don't understand how that'd work either). Also, a lot of my prof's are currently having a lot of trouble getting published (again in some cases) because the current climate is so bad for Australian authors.

(again sorry to be the cynical bitch but it's true)

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
...well, haha, I guess you could always go overseas. Australia is far too small and has few opportunities. Britain and the US would be much easier to publish in...

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
I too didn't think my work would be of a standard to be published, however I had always firmly believed that the reflection statement was the key - if you could back up and reason all your choices, the markers would like your work... I saw the reflection statement as a way to suck up basically, and to be honest I wrote utterly pretentious self praising crap in my reflection statement just saying how much I knew about what I was doing/had done, which I knew the markers would like... I'm in no way the same person who you might think wrote the stuff in my reflection statement haha

shimmy&shine

HSC
I got into the young writers showcase!
They sent it to the wrong email, lol.
Wow, i still can't believe that my dream has come true!
Well done nick, we've finally achieved something that we really wanted!
I can't believe I'm going to get published.. and to be honest, i thought that my poetry wasnt at the highest standard to get published.

:)

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
YAY!!!!!!! 2 BOS's are in the book!!!

whitemoth

HSC
so has anyone that got in actually got their copy of the book yet? they're taking aaaages

and if anyone already has it can you tell me how many poetry ones got in?

thanks

shimmy&shine

HSC
I was told by my english teachers aagggeeeeesss ago that the books come out in May. It might change this year, and i hope so (hope it's out earlier) because it seems so far away. :p

as for the number of poetry major works.. no idea. but it changes every year. i think one year they had only one poetry major work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)