Your dalliance with The Classics (1 Viewer)

walrusbear

HSC
rific said:
I can't stand these sort of lists, if a book is good, someone will read it. If it is not good, someone will still read it, several million someones normally. Why do we need to be told if something is a classic, or worth reading? And people that believe they must read a book because it's an 'identified classic', or because 'everyone's reading it, quick, go buy a copy', quite simply, irritate me. There are many more books out there than you can ever possibly read, so why spend all your time catching up to everyone else and read what they are? Look around. Be different. Be surprised.

Lists of most-read are interesting from a sociological perspective, but even most of these are based on sophisms.
how widespread is this supposed trend anyway?
if this noticeboard is any indication (i think it is) most people are enamored with matthew reilly and dan brown
if a canon or list of 'classics' gets more interesting stuff around then so be it

btw, if a book is canonised and i read it and love it, is that such a bad thing?? or is a book only cool if it is unpopular??

if lit snobbery does exist, as you say, then it is only present in a few. most posters have read only a handful, and those who have read more probably read widely anyway...

rific

HSC
To cause reaction, how delightful.

@ nwatts: fair enough, and I've no issue with people seeking literary cohesion, or in finding a source of common awareness through which communication and understanding can be achieved. But don't be quite so innocent. If you want to understand people, don't read what they read, you'll better understand yourself, but not them; talk to them, find out why they're reading it. There's your understanding.

@ Markazzo: haha, this is conversation, yes? Sure, that was facetious, I realise this. Moving on though, I've no issue with the books themselves, after doing this, I'll even work out how many I've read for you. My contribution was instead directed towards the rationale many people have for reading these books. Apologies if this is contrary to your intention. And just quickly, I should say that I'm not furrowing my brow here, I'm quite enjoying it, but more importantly, people should be encouraged to form and share opinions, if there's no disagreement, no alternative opinions, why bother?

@ Walrusbear: how widespread the trend? Go to Angus and Robertsons one day, should answer your question. I've made no comment, and have no inclination to comment, on the posters in this forum, I think discussion of books is a worthwhile activity and should be encouraged, as is the case here. Nor have I said that the enjoyment of a book is a bad thing, in fact, I would never say that. as it is fundamentally a ridiculous assertation. As for the lit snobbery I say exists, not sure where I say this, but I'll pretend as if I did, again, I have no issue with what someone chooses to read, I have no issues with anyone enjoying any form of written communication, and I would certainly not pretend to suggest I know what the other posters have read based off what has been written here.

Disregarding marketing and sales purposes, I have little real issue with these lists, only what they represent. Instead, all I wish for people to do, is become more aware of what they are reading, of why they are reading.

Now then, as for the lists? From Time, I've 'only' (if you've been paying attention, you'll note the irony) read 21 of them, how exciting for me. Moving right along, 37 from 100 Greatest, and finally from A&R, 39. In my opinion, all are worth reading, with the right reason.

HSC
I've only read six of Time's list! That's pretty bad, although I'm suprised at some of the books on there, they're a bit dodgy.
What exactly makes "Are you there God? It's me, Margaret." a classic?
It exactly like a thousand other Judy Blume books.
Although I did get 56 from the A&R list.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Hm.. only read 12 from the Time list, pretty pathetic. I'm not sure where the worth of such a list lies though. Only post 1923, and only written in the English language? What kind of a reader would select reading material based on these criteria?

Last edited:

davin

HSC
N/A
if its only the last 80 years or so, trying to call them classics already is a bit of a big jump to make

walrusbear

HSC
maybe these lists are their first step to canonisation :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)