Your favourite book! (1 Viewer)

eveajac

OK everyone here is a challenge....what is your favourite book(s) of all time? What have you never, ever been able to put down? What was the first book you remember that got you hooked on reading?

Ironically i'm still thinking about what my favourite is! The first book i read that got me hooked was Enid Blyton's The Magic Faraway Tree - from which i progressed to the wishing chair, amelia jane, secret seven, famous five etc (that was kind of my first childhood reading stage - about age seven/eight!)
i remember a book that really had an impact on me when i was eleven or so was Lois Lowry's 'The Giver' - really has to be one of the best children's/teen books i've ever read.

i'm still thinking about my all-time favourite....

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
To Kill A Mockingbird, I loved that book.

I love Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, i've read all but one or two.

There's more, but i'll think of them later.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
simple, sad, cute and very effective.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Well the ones that had the most impact on me (could be classified as my favourite) are...

* To kill a mocking bird - Harper Lee
* The catcher in the rye - JD Salinger
* Sleepers - (forgot the author's name, but about 4 boys sent away to a juvenile detention centre and are brutally treated)
* The Giver - Lois Lowry (what did you think exactly happened in the end?)

Just realising you read the Magic Faraway tree as well as the wishing chair! So did I! I loved reading the adventures. Especially the unknown lands on the top of the tree. Like the land of goodies.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
My favourite book of all time has to be "The Lord of the Rings", I love that book. Of course, Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series is great to.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I find it too hard to select a definitive favourite. In a pinch though, I'd say something like 'The Death Of Virgil'.. Nineteen Eighty-Four is also notable as one of the first 'classic' novels I read and enjoyed (In Year 7.. Which in itself contributed to my vehement dislike of the texts we had to read..)

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
well... i can't remember what 'hooked' me onto reading haha.. so long ago! i loved those enid blyton books, and charlie&chocolate factory! but.. ohh ooh.. i'm gonna start a thread.

argh! my.. fave.. of.. all.. time..

too hard! too hard! too many!!!

if really pushed.... i'm gonna say... (i've been sitting here for 20 minutes)... harry potter prisoner of azkaban. ^^*

Juliet

HSC
'The moon in the water' and 'Chains of Fate' by Pamela Belle

The whole harry potter series.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Oh, I couldn't choose just one book!
Could I have categories?
Like children's books, literature, comedy, fantasy, etc?
No?

OK, then, this very second I'd have to say the Obernewtyn Trilogy by Isobelle Carmody just because I'm so looking forward to the release of the final book... but I also love books by Francesca Lia Block, Enid Blyton (like just about everyone else, I started reading her books), Geroge Orwell, etc. Oh, the Colour Purple was good! And so many more... I can't choose!
Uhm. I'll shut up now.

korry

HSC
N/A
Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah
Looking For Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta
Night by Elie Wiesel

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Ooh, Chinese Cinderella was good! I wanted to read the other books by Adeline Yen Mah, but my library's always out. :(

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
Originally posted by glitter burns
Ooh, Chinese Cinderella was good! I wanted to read the other books by Adeline Yen Mah, but my library's always out. :(
yup my fav book too !

RJ

HSC
Each time I get to the end of To Kill a Mockingird, I get all teary - it is such a beautiful book - and the movie is cool too!

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
anything Bryce Courtenay
Saving Francesca by Meline marchetta, and looking for alibrandi too.
Can othello count? i love that too.
I'm sure theres heap of other but i can't remember them right now
Oh the tomorrow when the war began series, and now the Ellie chronicles by john Marsden...all good reading

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by RJ
Each time I get to the end of To Kill a Mockingird, I get all teary - it is such a beautiful book - and the movie is cool too!
another book i have to read again, i don't think i got the full impact of it when i studied it at school

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
I like those roald dahl books, just the other day i went looking for THE TWITS, man what a great book. I also remember always reading those ENCYCLOPAEDIA BROWN books ( does anyone remember them) but as for more proper books im going with to kill a mockingbird, that really is a top book.

korry

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by glitter burns
yeh they're always out...u could always buy or reserve it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)