Your feelings towards internationals. (1 Viewer)

Muchi

HSC
aaaa, if students want to pay money to come and do degrees, besides the fact their taking up places (if they didnt take up your place or a friend who didnt get into a degree coz of internationals) why hold anything against them. they obviously want a future for themselves, everyone has a right to. if they want to act like kingshit let them go ahead. if their really good it'll show, if not their just fooling themselves.

kirbflare

HSC
i dont mind them. ok i was in a group of five where one did totally no work whatsoever but mrs control freak (who got seriously pissed at lack of work completed) blabbed all to the head tutor so um yeah i feel guilty :O

but yeah i wish they would be a bit more social.. a bit rich coming from me cos im kinda shy but ya know what i mean

i would never make fun of any of them like my mates do though because it must be hard trying to get through school & life in with limited skills. eg. i have tried to put myself in their position before

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
well i bet you guys would be very sociable in say africa and everyone else was speaking in their native tongue.

even though these people speak english, aussies speak english a certain way that isnt all that easy to understand sometimes and its pretty hard to interact when u cant understand wtf the group is saying especiallty when 5 other people are speaking at the same time....

betraya

ABC
HSC
I currently have an international asian student living in the garage. All he does every day is abuse the electrical appliances and doors plus call people on his mobile and invite his friends into my place and waste all the internet downloads per month. At school (luckily he doesn't go to my school) he doesn't care about homework and stuff. Most internationals here are lazy and just want them to be Australian citizens so their families can also immigrate here. Most international students are cheap people like they waste as much water and electricity and internet at home. When they go out they wear their big designer labels- Gucci, Gianni Versace, LV, Prada while their poor parents back in their homeland give them everything so they are spoilt. Most international students usually do these subjects for the HSC- English ESL, Chinese Background Speakers or Chinese Extension +Chinese Continuers, 4u Maths (do bad and there's the huge scaling they count on) as they actually have an age advantage over us locals- in year 12 there are internationals that are 21-22 years old and they have already finished their schooling back in china but their parents want them to have a richer life in Australia so they send them here. The international that lives in my house doesn't work at all compared to us locals who work to earn money for our families. My dad says most international students or immigrants that try to immigrate here usually come with a 457 visa while some illegally work with a holiday visa cause the Australian dollar value is worth a whole lot more than their homeland. As a local i feel that the intake of internationals is generating money for the government and schools but there are the flaws of taking up our uni spaces and UAI spots

cait33

Doctor's Companion
HSC
At high School we had about 1/5 of the year were form China and there was about the same proportion of bludgers to hard workers, I think. I don't hold any of this against them, by the end of yr12 we had a good co-existence happening.

what I heard the other day from some of the people that work with my mother (they are from India) is that some people from india are coming over here because they have other family here, getting HECs loans and buggering off without having to pay a cent. I have no idea if this is at all substantiated or anything

betraya

ABC
HSC
apparently for them to be successful in getting the standards in UNI, those internationals sit for an exam called IELTS. It tests reading, writing, speaking and comprehension for English literacy. When I took a look at the exam, it was like easier than year 10 school certificate english. The IELTS have a score range from 0-10 with bands everyy .5 Some unis like USYD require an IELTS score of 7 and above to get through while UOW and MACQ require a lower score of 6+ to get through

erm

HSC
I currently have an international asian student living in the garage. All he does every day is abuse the electrical appliances and doors plus call people on his mobile and invite his friends into my place and waste all the internet downloads per month. At school (luckily he doesn't go to my school) he doesn't care about homework and stuff. Most internationals here are lazy and just want them to be Australian citizens so their families can also immigrate here. Most international students are cheap people like they waste as much water and electricity and internet at home. When they go out they wear their big designer labels- Gucci, Gianni Versace, LV, Prada while their poor parents back in their homeland give them everything so they are spoilt. Most international students usually do these subjects for the HSC- English ESL, Chinese Background Speakers or Chinese Extension +Chinese Continuers, 4u Maths (do bad and there's the huge scaling they count on) as they actually have an age advantage over us locals- in year 12 there are internationals that are 21-22 years old and they have already finished their schooling back in china but their parents want them to have a richer life in Australia so they send them here. The international that lives in my house doesn't work at all compared to us locals who work to earn money for our families. My dad says most international students or immigrants that try to immigrate here usually come with a 457 visa while some illegally work with a holiday visa cause the Australian dollar value is worth a whole lot more than their homeland. As a local i feel that the intake of internationals is generating money for the government and schools but there are the flaws of taking up our uni spaces and UAI spots
Good insight, but please type in paragraphs next time. :wave:

bwendan

HSC
taking up our uni spaces and UAI spots
I think that logic faulty, international students pay their own way rather than leech of the government through subsidies and HECS loans. They actually create more places and cross subsidize local students. Without international students, the local students would probably have to put up with inferior facilities and larger class sizes.

On another point, I'm doing Commerce/Science at UoM, and for group work, I tend to avoid having any international students in my group. Call it statistical discrimination. But generally I find their written and oral communication skills in English completely inadequate. Of course there are exceptions, and many of those exceptions can be found in the Law school. So i don't mind Commerce/Law international students so much when it comes to group work, to do Law they probably would have pretty good written and oral English skills anyway.

Furthermore, for whatever reason, International students are admitted with a lot lower university entrance scores than their local counterparts. This greater variance in student intake quality, reduces the quality of the signal I can convey to potential employers from having a BCom/BSc from UoM.

Last edited:

h3da

HSC
Hmm well international people (refering mainly to asians) tend to be very quiet in class. And when they do talk the only speak in their language which annoys people i guess..I dont really mind them because they ain't reallly immature considering how much money they have to pay. omg!

P.S they are taking all the bloody part time jobs 2.

greentsquare

HSC
Furthermore, for whatever reason, International students are admitted with a lot lower university entrance scores than their local counterparts. This greater variance in student intake quality, reduces the quality of the signal I can convey to potential employers from having a BCom/BSc from UoM.
International students can get into a course if they have reached the Guaranteed ENTER/UAI,etc. (rather than the clearly-in), in the same way that local students who are willing to pay full fee could. Using your logic, it would then be fair to say that local students who could pay full fee also reduce 'the quality of the signal [you] can convey to potential employers from having a BCom/BSc from UoM'... whatever that means

Also, ironically, this 'variance in student quality' is not the fault of international students. A so-called variance would exist if there's a considerable difference between the Guaranteed ENTER/UAI, etc. and the Clearly-In, the latter of which is dictated by the demand for a particular course in a particular Uni by local students. Furthermore, it's unfair to judge 'student quality' by university entrance scores alone. That's like saying that Commerce students in UoM are better than Enginnering ones just because the cut-off score was higher. Or that students don't develop intellectually throughout their stay in Uni and that they'll always just be worth whatever their university entrance score is.

chuckyhol

HSC
I saw a damn cute chinese girl the other day, around my age. for that reason, i support internationals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)