Your method of studying for this subject? (1 Viewer)

123ryoma12

HSC
Personally, I'm finishing all the examples and explanations (not exercises) in Terry Lee and gonna go straight to past papers.
What do you guys plan to do/are doing for this subject?

qwert73

HSC
I do the questions in Fitzpatrick, then HSC past papers, then trial pastpapers, especially the older ones because they are easy to find specific topics in.

leehuan

HSC
We're talking about maths right?

I jumped right into the past papers.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Pretty much wat everyone said, textbook then past papers.

leehuan

HSC
I used Cambridge and Patel so textbooks got boring too quickly.

Hey, it still paid off though.

relativity1

HSC
whats better... to do trial papers or hsc past papers (this is for semester exams)?

Ekman

HSC
Personally what worked for me was to download around 1000 past papers for mx2 and picked out the hardest questions and did a couple everyday. I did questions that were unique in order to expose me to different ways of thinking.

Before exams i used to spam past papers, and i didnt give up and look at the answers for questions that i couldnt do

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

leehuan

HSC
whats better... to do trial papers or hsc past papers (this is for semester exams)?
Save the HSC ones for HSC exams.

Personally what worked for me was to download around 1000 past papers for mx2 and picked out the hardest questions and did a couple everyday. I did questions that were unique in order to expose me to different ways of thinking.

Before exams i used to spam past papers, and i didnt give up and look at the answers for questions that i couldnt do

You don't treat everyone to be at your level either.

123ryoma12

HSC
When you guys do past papers, do you do it under exam conditions?
I tend to look at the answers while doing it if I don't know the answer.

Last edited:

Ekman

HSC
When you guys do past papers, do you actually do it under exam conditions?
Most of the time no. I usually end up rushing the mc and q11- 14, and just spend time doing q15 and q16, so i didnt see the purpose of timing myself

I highly recommend doing SGS, SBHS, NSGHS, NSBHS and a few questions from CSSA and JRAHS
(The 2006 SGS trial is by far the hardest school trial i have done)

Doing questions without looking at the answers allows you to simulate the same stress you will feel in the exam when you dont know how to do a question. I honestly spent 30mins to 1hr on one question every night, and imo it was time well spent, because i discovered different methods and shortcuts to questions. I ended up solving difficult questions in my internal exams, which took others an hour to see how to do, in a matter of minutes, so it helped.

Last edited:

glittergal96

HSC
Past papers are mostly for when you understand the material and want to optimise your exam technique. (Especially past HSC papers.)

First step is to make sure you understand the theory of the course, why things are true, how the proofs of things in the course work etc. (Try to prove some of them yourself, although for some things like the fundamental theorem of algebra, this is a bit unrealistic.)

Definitely don't look at the answer to a question if you can't get in in a few mins. Move on to another question and return to the one that was troubling you later. Sometimes you might get fresh ideas. If you are stumped by most of the questions in a section, you probably don't understand the theory.

It is infinitely easier to follow someone elses proof than construct your own, so people who look at answers too quickly often hoodwink themselves into believing that they understand the mathematics better than they actually do. One of the most important skills is to be honest and self-critical.

Even if you eventually give up and ask someone for help, or read the answers, I guarantee you will get a lot more out of it if you bashed your head against it for a bit and tried some stuff.

Returning to the first point about past papers. You should really stress accuracy over speed at the start of the year. You should take your time and learn to be so careful that when you finish a problem, you can be almost certain that you are right. (Being self-critical helps develop this confidence funnily enough). When you have reached this point, or close to it, then you can worry about speeding up, which is a lot easier than you might think. Too many people skip the first step of developing accuracy and then these are the people who struggle with the harder questions in the paper, even if mechanically they are very fast.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
What do you mean?

Going straight to the hard questions typically assumes a person is absolutely confident with all they know right after learning it.
When you guys do past papers, do you do it under exam conditions?
You're not supposed to look at the answers until you're genuinely stuck, which is in my eyes 10 minutes have already passed per mark. And you didn't procrastinate either of course.

Also, exam conditions, is basically as pointed out by glittergal something to AVOID simulating until confidence is properly built up on accuracy first. It's about getting the marks themselves first, before racing the clock.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)