Your say on: Uni Days! (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
i dont see your point. The only similarity is that we labelled someone stupid. You labelled an entire group and generalised, as well as assumed the UAI as a mark of intelligence. I aimed at her and her alone.

Not really motivated to completely argue the point, but still, you got to admit that was a harsh thing to say. Would've liked something about how engineering is a course that should be left for the elitist to ensure the safety and precision of certain creations they involve themselves with...

rather than saying people who got 80 are stupid.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
i dont see your point. The only similarity is that we labelled someone stupid. You labelled an entire group and generalised, as well as assumed the UAI as a mark of intelligence. I aimed at her and her alone.

Not really motivated to completely argue the point, but still, you got to admit that was a harsh thing to say. Would've liked something about how engineering is a course that should be left for the elitist to ensure the safety and precision of certain creations they involve themselves with...

rather than saying people who got 80 are stupid.
So post several paragraphs about it. Plus anyone with two masters degrees must be pretty samrt.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
So post several paragraphs about it. Plus anyone with two masters degrees must be pretty samrt.
are you even reading my posts?

we're talking about how you said people who got 80 are stupid. you don't think you should rephrase?

kiteblood

HSC
Second mistake - getting a masters from an Australian university. To the rest of the world, an Australian degree (unless it's from the AGSM) is a joke. From: Meg
OH NOES BETTER DROP OUT EVERY1 !$%!*!!!!11

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
You think these people who are aged 18+ would be able to think for themselves and decided on a degree that will have good job prosepects. I mean seriously how much effort does it really take to have a bit of a look into what sectors are looking for people...

Comment: I spent 9 years at uni doing a degree in Mechanical and Space engineering and a PhD in aerospace engineering just to 'figure out' that there is NO space industry in Australia. I think people (just out of school especially) need realistic expectations of what to expect when they graduate - higher education is not a "right" to get a job, just an advantage
This just strikes me as stupid - he cannot say that before he started his degree he was not aware that there was not a big (if any) space industry in Australia... what was he thinking... oh i'll just do this for NINE YEARS and then see what i can do at the end...

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
I don't know how they can say uni is a 'waste of time.' People need to learn somewhere, let's all become doctors from work experience.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
There actually is a space industry in Australia - what's he on about?
I mean... there are so many jobs he could get with a degree in mechanical / space engineering and a phd in aerospace engineering? Something tells me that was a troll lolz.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think you have to be pretty thick to study something for nine years before realising there is no industry in Australia....

And you ahve to be pretty narrowminded not to be prepared to go overseas with your qualifications, especially as you can even dodge HECS that way:p.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
Plus anyone with two masters degrees must be pretty samrt.
No, not really - many people with higher level degrees are nothing more than ignorant drones (much like myself :)).

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The people who loiter in tertiary education because they are afraid of joining the workforce;).....

Collin

HSC
N/A
I'm surprised she wasn't aware of the common issues concerning 'overqualifications', especially when we're talking about her having minimal work experience.. but erm, a double Masters. Many employers aren't just gonna fork out triple-digit figure remuneration packages to a double Masters wielding, walking textbook with minimal work experience. I mean, I'm fairly confident the 'overqualified' remarks were generally regarding her academic forte, and the 'underqualified' were generally regarding her lack of experience to back up those two whopping Masters.

So in conclusion.. sucks to be her. :eek:

Collin

HSC
N/A
Yeah, if she became an Arts lecturer even.. I heard em' uni lecturers make alot of $$$ :eek:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Collin said:
Yeah, if she became an Arts lecturer even.. I heard em' uni lecturers make alot of $$$ :eek:
Not compared to the amount you can get outside of university.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think the scale is roughly (correct me if i'm wrong I'm going by memory):

Associate Lecturer: $50,000
Lecturer: $70,000
Professor: $100,000

Which is hardly great money. And she would be starting at associate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)