your school SRC (1 Viewer)

happyhelen

HSC
hi, was just wondering what other people's school SRC's are like, what they do, and if they participate in district, regional and state SRC...
i come from a small school, and we are only getting involved in SRC outside of school this year.
interested to hear from you
-helen

happyhelen

HSC
yep. well um, ours used to basically be a fundraising group, but we are becoming much more about that... try and find out about district src, because they are really good (although i've heard ours is one of the best regions, go Western NSW, :p)
But SRC's are begining to make a real difference in schools, and the whole state, there are some quite big projects being taken on board... i don't know about others, but our school really listens to what we have to say.. i encourage people to try and get involved in district SRC..

Aznmichael92

HSC
quite a fun and great feeling to be the src at ur school :D

We do alot of charitable events and fundraising events for the school. Every 2 years, we run our school festival with the PnC where we generally make a loss as we are giving back to the school community. This year however was an exception, we made some profits.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Our SRC gets a special roll call in the morning and thats pretty much it. The school hasnt given them any real power and they never seem to do anything. Even the elections to get into SRC are rigged, even thought they let us vote, the people that get in are chosen by the teacher who is incharge.
I honestly dont know why we have one

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Our SRC have been very important in the past few years. Perhaps one of the most important things which they have done happened today, when our current school captain led a "2013" Summit for our school's future. Everbody told some ideas which our SRC would represent our homerooms, and fingers crossed, I hope there are oging to be some changes.

TDjie

♥ Hello ♥
HSC
Our SRC was called SRF for Student Representative Forum, we did alot of leadership things with the school, specifically organising charity events. On a small scale we mostly made changes that students had proposed to us, and we brought to the teachers/principal. The SRF's before us for example had created a multi-form, where our school ended up not needing a uniform, only colour coordination - it was very casual. Our principal was great because as long as we had the plan and it had been discussed/passed a vote, we'd usually be able to implement it. It took dedication though, like early morning breakfast meetings.

The last two years before I left the school we raised money to build a memorial garden to students who had previously passed away, and a quiet place for students to sit who need help coping with stress or depression. This was by far one of the most spiritually rewarding things we did for the community.

A small group of us also went down to the Leadership forum last year held at the Sydney Opera House for student leaders. Among other things, we considered total world domination as a top priority. :3

If you can get together a group of dedicated people with ideas, and atleast one dedicated teacher, you'll definately be able to make your SRC worthwhile.

Aznmichael92

HSC
we have just voted to see if we were going to change our constitution.

Originally it says we will have a preferential voting system but we never carried it out and so we voted on it to see if we wanted a preferential voting system or first pass the post. I can't believe no one voted for preferential except me :(

I mean you can keep people you hate out of the SRC even though it takes longer to count.

At my school we are pretty fair, no rigging in votes and to make a decision, it needs to be a majority. Executives (President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary) can't decide everything :D

happyhelen

HSC
wow! your SRC has also done some really great stuff.. congrats!
we're going to the SRC State Conference in Sydney, hopefully that should be really good - everyone says it's fantastic... and hopefully i'll also bring back some good ideas etc...

happyhelen

HSC
Hey, if anyone wants to get their school involved in SRC, check out this link (for NSW people) and click on your region... there should be some info about your regional student welfare consultant, and there should be contact details on the side.. contact them yourself, as often prinicipals etc. get the information about SRC events, but don't bother to pass it onto you. Your regional student welare consultant should give you all the info about regional and state SRC, and you can go from there...
if anyone would like to get involved in their regional SRC and get into contact with your regional person, or even boost their school SRC, i'd be happy to help... you can send me a private message, or post here...
(they're really, really good!)

happyhelen

HSC
Hi again everyone, i've just been to the 2008 NSW State SRC Conference and it was absolutely fantastic. if you're in a public school, go for SRC next year, and in your district go for state. it was a fantastic experience that i'll never forget. learnt soo much, and made soo many good friends, we were all crying when we left. again, i say, if you have any questions about src, feel free to ask me.

bawd

HSC
Never knew there was interschool SRC. We've got some pretty good people in our SRC this year.

happyhelen

HSC
bawd said:
Never knew there was interschool SRC. We've got some pretty good people in our SRC this year.
oh dear.. =[ if you're on SRC ask your school for contact details of your local student welfare officer, ask them if they have district or regional src meetings, and get involved, it's very worthwhile. not sure if every district is as good as ours and ditto with regions, but they're still good.
alternatively go through this website to try and find you welfare officers details... http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/regions/index.php
have fun with that =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)