Your Thoughts on the selected topic area (1 Viewer)

Notm

HSC
Well, howdy.

I wanted to do a topic area that was relatively new and was fairly modern based. My topic is this:

The Historiography of the Internet

I want to explore how history is being changed through the usage of the internet, as well as exploring how historians (both modern and ancient) are utilising resources in their studies of particular areas of history.

I've already gone to Sydney Uni Library and found two very useful books, so at this point in time things are looking up.

I would appreciate opinions of the topic area chosen (if at all possible) as well as how you as a historian use the internet in your research.

lo_yr12_2012

HSC
hmm,
i'm doing ext hist too.
Do you have to get your topic approved before you write your proposal? Your teacher will indicate whether they think this is suitable or not.
Probably your main concerns are with sources regarding your topic, i'd imagine they'd be pretty limited. I've also been told repeatedly that it's best to choose a topic that stems from a historical debate, it's more 'meaty' and gives you stuff to work with and a range of perspectives.
Did you have any other ideas? It's a really unique interesting topic though nice.

Galladrim

HSC
Very original topic choice you have there, very relevant and should bring some interesting results. However, make sure you're not trying to bite off more than you can chew here - The internet is a seriously big place, so you make one to focus on perhaps just a few key historians or issues in relation to the topic. Actual sources on the historiography of the internet would also be fairly thin on the ground. If you feel you can overcome those challenges then I would say go for it, it would make for an awesome read!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)