yourformal.com scam; formals cancelled at last minute (1 Viewer)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
l believe this comment on the daily telegraph sums it up.

"Paul of Sydney Posted at 6:50 AM Today
Why do people insist on trusting a website with thousands of your hard earned dollars. I would be having a face to face with the people first. Websites are great for a general overview but you should never deal in large sums of money without seeing a real human first."
You can still be scammed even if you do see a human first.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
That's true.

There was this lawn mowing guy that came to our house and agreed to mow our lawn for $20. We gave him the money and he never came.

loaves

HSC
Wow, this would suck. :( I hope everyone finds a reasonable solution/still gets a formal without spending too much money.

And haha - it sounds exactly like what Today Tonight would love to do a story on. (Bonus points if the owners of yourformal are asian/middle eastern!)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Wow, this would suck. :( I hope everyone finds a reasonable solution/still gets a formal without spending too much money.

And haha - it sounds exactly like what Today Tonight would love to do a story on. (Bonus points if the owners of yourformal are asian/middle eastern!)
I know it's bad... but I lol'd.

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, our school got tricked by this company. We were told on Sunday we had to pay extra in 24 hours or have it cancelled, but after some of the students got lawyers onto the case they said we didn't need to pay. By then it was Tuesday. Then on Thursday they announced that the formal was cancelled without a refund. You could expect that we were all genuinely pissed off about it, seeing that we paid $130 a person for it. But lucky for us the venue heard about what happened and said they'll do the formal for the extra money the company wanted, and now a group of parents is organising it.

Again, we're just really lucky that we're having a formal at all since the company scammed us. But it sucks about the other schools who weren't so lucky. And yeah, trust the media to swarm around the story once private schools get involved. No love for the public school system.

Chloe238

HSC
yea our school had thousands of $$ stolen. After I found out what had happened, it took me less then 2 mins to find out it was a scam. Pretty angry that the organisers didn't bother to even google there name to find out if there decent, because they have scammed people in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and this year.

sophia711

HSC
Re: youformal.com scam; formals cancelled at last minute

more details: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/probe-into-mosman-school-formal-rort-20111114-1neum.html

As for the notice they've put on their site how stupid do they think people are? They say they've cancelled all the formals because of all the attention they've gotten. However this attention came about because and AFTER they cancelled all the formals. Stupid.

Has any of you actually gotten a refund? I hope Fair Trading throws the book at them.

Haemolymph

Banned
HSC
my favourite is asians buying our farmland, because they get to use the graphic of australia with foreign flags coming in and taking over
Hahaha. I thought I was weird for liking that. It's just so hilarious every time I see it. It makes no sense at all. Haha

I feel really bad for all the people got mega-scammed and I'm kind of glad my school organised some shitty one a the Cube themselves and then a few friends went back to our mate's place for the after party, it was still pretty fun. :)

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Re: youformal.com scam; formals cancelled at last minute

yeahhhhh our formals tonight, we planned our after party with them through their yourafterparty.com business, we realised we weren't having an after party like 4 days ago, one of the organisers from the company then assured us that the other organiser was just an angry ex-employee trying to cancel everyone's stuff, so then the 'good' organiser told us our after party was back on, we called up the venue to check and surprise surprise it hadn't been paid, the guys then disconnected their numbers took like $7500 with them, a much more complicated story, but now everyone is left having to pay another $30 for the after party that was frantically organised ourselves with that venue anyway. BEING SCAMMED, GREAT END TO THE YEAR -_-
Simple solution...have an after party at someones house, and BYO.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Surely the most logical approach would have been to collect the money and physically bring it to the event in exchange for the party.

oisac

HSC
That is true, but if you have seen the person you can give a description to the police which will help the case....atm what are these students evidence just a website? the names the "owner" gave is probably wrong so no leads there and its just a website no other leads....atleast with a head you can atleast give a description that will help, finished HSC last year and going strong on BOS forums, proud of yu iRuler.

Haemolymph

Banned
HSC
That is true, but if you have seen the person you can give a description to the police which will help the case....atm what are these students evidence just a website? the names the "owner" gave is probably wrong so no leads there and its just a website no other leads....atleast with a head you can atleast give a description that will help, finished HSC last year and going strong on BOS forums, proud of yu iRuler.
ip address. Much easier to find someone through a website they've been logging onto then to find them in a city with only a description of what they look like.

oisac

HSC
ip address. Much easier to find someone through a website they've been logging onto then to find them in a city with only a description of what they look like.
u rkn the owner is that stupid that he wouldnt somehow manipulate his i.p adress or something to divert it to another location or something? if it was taht easy why isn't he caught yet? + since alot of people have been ripped of a description could be given to the news ...makes it alot easier finding him lol

Last edited:

Bec24

HSC
We used this same company last year and also had alot of problems. Sammy would call to pick up money then never show up, call at late innappropriate hours and get exceedingly angry if I was unavailable to get him the money. Luckily our after party did go ahead but not without added drama. We good out the venue about a week efote our formal, were never provided with a list of names that had paid and when I tried to contact Sammy on multiple times I either couldnt get through or I was referred onto his "boss" Trent. On the night another girl approach me saying Sammy had told her if we didn't get another 30 people to the afterparty within 15 minutes everyone would have to leave by 12pm despite the fact they had already received the money for the missing people. Luckily when I confronted him he denied this and our afterparty continued. Another dissatisfying point of the night was the confiscation of a girls alcohol who was in a legal drinking area OUTSIDE the venue which Sammy and the other organisers then proceeded to drink right in front of us. Overall very unhappy with the experience but much worse outcome for all the schools who got cancelled this year.

Garygaz

HSC
ahaha this sounds like the most utter bullshit ever. class action, anyone?

Haemolymph

Banned
HSC
u rkn the owner is that stupid that he wouldnt somehow manipulate his i.p adress or something to divert it to another location or something? if it was taht easy why isn't he caught yet? + since alot of people have been ripped of a description could be given to the news ...makes it alot easier finding him lol
Yes. I do think that. They were stupid enough to do this in the first place.

News: This just in, we have an artists depiction of a man who stole some formal money alone with no help from any organisation and here is an artist's depiction of him from descriptions. Keep a close eye out, call crime stoppers, and hide your wallets if you see him.
Sound legit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)