yr 11 English ext 1 (1 Viewer)

checkout_chick

HSC
I need some help there is an essay due in like 2 weeks 4 me and its about the gothic genre. I really need some help is there any1 out there that can help. Basically its about mary shelley's frankenstein

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
We covered this in Ext. English too. What elements of the gothic genre are you looking at? Is the essay a focus on Frankenstein? Is it looking at what the gothic genre is, using examples from Frankenstein as support? In either case, try and highlight the gothic elements present within the novel, e.g. the grave-robbing, Frankenstein's pursuit of the monster and the monster's pursuit of Frankenstein, the constant sense of doom throughout the novel caused by the presence of the monster, and so on.

I_F

skellington

HSC
oo we're doing that in ext. now as well....did you have trouble reading it?

have you tried looking here (the link i mean)?

kodos

Premium Member
HSC
I did the Gothic Genre in year 10 and also had to read Frankenstein and Draculla. Didn't finish reading them but the teacher gave alot of notes on the novel. For Frankenstein you could talk about the idea of nature v nurture, alienation of the monster, the notion of creation is emphasised, society and the fear of sexuality e.g Victor who concentrates more on the monster and rejecting normal human sexuality. Try using films also that relate to the Gothic genre such as Van Helsing.

angel_rakshya

^^ $m!L3
HSC
we're doing Jane Eyre as our text and im really stuck on how to do it's psychoanalytical reading...
does anyone have any clue what that actually means because im really lost!

thankx
=D

joe1016

HSC
i actually have done both "Gothic" Genre (in conjunction with alienation) and the comparision/ appropriation of 10things and taming of the shrew. i like frankenstien heaps but no one else in my class seemed to agree. we then looked at the film alien for another text on "alienation" ..........not just cos there is an alien (it didnt sound funny at the time but oh well)

whats the essay question?

maRqu1sinspAd3s

HSC
frankenstein

we're doing Frankenstein in extension english and the essay is due this thursday.
Q- In writing ‘Frankenstein’ Mary Shelley has created a memorable novel in the gothic tradition’

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
We're doing Across the Nightingale Floor and Batman Begins(Modern Mythology), it's fun :) Ext. English > Adv. English. Got an inclass essay on Batman begins on thursday, fingers crossed ^_^

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
JoAn.T said:
is anyone doing "taming of the Shrew" and "ten things I hate about you" in english ext?:eek:
That was also year 10 for me. It quite simply sucked.

karnoganguli

HSC
We just completeted that genre- we did Franky (short for frankenstein if you didn't guess) as well. Do you need supplementary texts? We did James Whale's version and the Kenneth Branagh's version. We had to compare the difference on how the gothic genre is expressed in the different "appropriations" of Frankenstein.
HOW WELL I WENT: a great range actually: 30/30 for the essay and a lovely 16/30 for the research assignment...

HSC
karnoganguli said:
HOW WELL I WENT: a great range actually: 30/30 for the essay and a lovely 16/30 for the research assignment...
nice marks there buddy. :) we haven't really been assessed in ext eng.. well, not to my knowledge. bludgey one-unit subject..

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
the gothic genre is in my opinion bloody excellent! we did it in yr 10 last year and i'd love to do it again! unfortunatley we did dracula ( i did that in yr 9 as well) and this jane austen book ( didnt seem very gothic but anyway)

so yeah give us more info on your essay question yeah?

Matrocksmysocks

HSC
We're doing the Gothic as well. We've done the poetry of Keats, doing Frankenstein and Edward Scissorhands, plus extra material. Looking good! Love the Gothic!
Haha I'll probably use Evanescence as a musical extra, Jacque Louis David or someone of his era as an artistic, something Neogothic as literature and Pardise Lost as a Neoclassical.

filo_romz

HSC
im doing the hollow men by t.s. eliot .. its like depressing .. =|

filo_romz

HSC
lol i didn't memorise ALL of it .. i only memorised every second line all the way up to the second verse .. that's about it .. =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)