@ yr 12: advice for yr 11? ... plz :) (1 Viewer)

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Hey guys,

I'm in year 11, and i'm thinking, at the end of most years i have a list of things i should've done, and things i shouldn't have, and i usually have tips to pass on, too.

So, @ all you old and wise year 12s about to start your hsc: do you have any advice to off us lil 11s who are about to start year 12 eco? Anything at all, including good/bad textbooks, study techniques, difficult areas, etc. (STudy techniques in particular would be great, i don't really know how to study for eco)

Any advice would be great :)

And while i'm at it: good luck for your hsc. ("good luck" is best i can do at sucking up... :p)

[btw, if this post looks famil, it's cos i posted the same thing in the chemistry section... but hey, it's the "if it works, do it again" mentality]

chunder

HSC
the only texts you need are:

(1) What the school tells you to buy

(2) The Financial Review and Business section of the Herald

Keep a scrap book and cut out all the relevant articles. Those by Gittins and the new guy called Kohler are the ones to look out for

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
As a been-there, done-that student of Economics, the best advice I can probably give u is to start practicing your essay writing from the beginning. If u can write decent economics essays from the start, it makes life so much easier come trial HSC time. Also, learning the content of the syllabus is also much easier if u make the time to write essays on the major topics

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Hey guys, thanks for the replies :)

the only texts you need are:

(1) What the school tells you to buy
Lol, and hopefully ur school will reccommend good texts. But anyway, i didn't really need to ask about textbooks here, i believe there's already a thread for that.

More importantly, tho: apart from practice essay writing, how do ppl study for economics?

Personally, i bludged yr 11 eco, so i haven't a clue. I mean, i worked pretty hard in chem, and did everything by the syllabus... but in eco, the syllabus just isn't specific enough. So how do you study, and make notes and such? Just by summarising the textbook?

AGB

HSC
how did u go in the hsc harimau?? (that is if you have already done it)

is a roflcopter
HSC
listen to minai
i havent prepared my essays properly this year
and now im a bit pushed for time

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Hi ppl, and thanks for all the replies :)

Just a couple more things, tho:

Instead i used other resources.
Hmm, what resources, may i ask?

@malayz_angel:
Well, i haven't really decided yet, i've got 9 pretty solid units, + economics (11), and i'm deciding between extension english and extension 2 maths for my 12th unit. So i *could* afford to not do so well in economics... i'm currently ranging between mid 70s to high 80s, but i'm aiming for straight band 6's. Dya reckon that's a reasonable goal, if i'm prepared to put in the work? And how much do ppl study for eco, anyway - who get in the 90s?

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hrm'ski

Why dont you start making notes on the syllabus dot points, dont worry about how vague they are. Thats what im doing. Since the exams (both school and hsc) will be based from those dot points, you cant lose. I mean, if you make notes IN-CLASS, you pretty much dont need to work at home (except revising at home). But then, some people cant work in class, what with friends and fellow class mates talking.

Im in year 11, and thats what im doing. Make notes. If you put in 20 mins a day, you'll have the first topic covered fairly quickly (3-4 weeks?). Then you can revise for like a further 4 weeks till assesments that are the end of this term. If this technique doesnt work, you can try something else. hehe, thats my advice, but then, I havent been there and done that (im in year 11), so if the year 12'ers say that this wont work, ignore my post.

BTW, if you DO decide to follow the dot points, please try to make the notes thorough. Then maybe we can swap the notes. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)