Yr 9 science help!!!! (1 Viewer)

pockysticks

HSC
N/A
Hey so I'm wondering if there are any good study books that you can get from dymocks or online for science. Currently I'm not doing so well at school for year 9 science and I have tried tutoring for it at pre uni two years ago but the content we were covering was very different from the ones we did at school since science is such a broad topic. I was wondering if you guys have any good book recommendations or if you think I should get a private tutor. Also does anyone have any tips for study note making e.g making things into your own words? Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated;)

OriginalCopy

HSC
I know someone that goes to pre-uni and I checked up on their work and what content they covered...so although it might not seem like its helping you, in the long run (for yr 10,11,12) it will provide with a head-start than other students, if you want to do science in those years. Anyways, if you want to excel in science and study for it, then look through the science textbooks for your grade in your school. In my case, the school used core science stage 5 and oxford science yr9.

The key to doing well in science, is to read, take notes and understand the key concepts. Also it is great to make your notes in your own words because there is no point in rewriting the textbook if you can't understand what the concept is. If you are doing extremely bad (like failing), then it would probably be a good choice to ask your teacher for help and teachers always like kids with questions. Also, try different study techniques because you have a lot of time to find your study pattern; some people read paragraphs and understand, while others require visuals or sounds (like listening to your notes, instead of reading them).

As for getting a tutor, if you are good at studying by yourself, then there is no point. Tutors don't do much...all they do is set work and answer your questions. Personally, I can't learn from tutors, but it depends on person to person, so if pre-uni hasn't worked, just try your teachers and self-study and maybe that is the way for you to go! Also, try different study techniques because you have a lot of time to find your study pattern!

Hope this helps!

disturb_equilibrium

HSC
self study is v helpful yes!! try making notes as you learn new things, do practise questions too! and if your teachers at school are willing to help, show them your notes! I know mine were happy to look over my notes and go over stuff I didn't understand!

my school used the Science Focus textbook series which were pretty helpful but eh

Keep in mind though, once you get to senior years it's ok
most tutoring colleges + schools go back to the basics of what you need to do well in chem/phys/bio etc

also,

I know someone that goes to pre-uni and I checked up on their work and what content they covered...so although it might not seem like its helping you, in the long run (for yr 10,11,12) it will provide with a head-start than other students, if you want to do science in those years.
can confirm!! rn i'm in year 12 and pre uni has helped me heaps (set up the basics, went from y7-9 elite course) - but then I moved to science at matrix and they're more specific with the syllabus (and also branched out a bit to prepare for senior years) which helped me iron out my understanding and also made me realise which science subjects I liked better

but in the end
tutoring can only do so much - yes they go over stuff you know but...
it's the effort YOU put in - i know plenty of people who go tutoring and do extremely well, go tutoring and don't do well, don't go tutoring and do extremely well, dont go tutoring and do tragically etc.
so it all comes down to you in the end

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)