Yr11 3u (1 Viewer)

Ednaw

HSC
Im in yr11 and im doing 3unit jus finished permutations and combinations. Like comparing these topics to later topics like calculus and induction and stuff is there much of a step in how hard it gets?

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Well calculus makes up at least 50%(i think). How difficult a topic is depends on your mindset. I actually find geometry and probability to be easy, but most people think differently

Ednaw

HSC
THATS HEAPS KOOOOL, but the other stuff is gonna need lots of work though aye.....like heaps time consuming memorisiing stuff

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
It is possible to keep memorisation to a minimum

abdooooo!!!

Banned
ya it takes time, but the thing is memorizing formulas takes much less time than developing math logic skills... if you got a firm math foundation in logics, the rest is just learning new formulas to apply to problems.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
woah...why did u gusy do perms and combs in yr 11?

strange
oh well..good for you! get the hard topics done first :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ~*HSC 4 life*~
woah...why did u gusy do perms and combs in yr 11?
With apologies in advance to anyone who thinks this is a bit cynical - there are some who believe teach a hard topic early, so that you can reduce the numbers (and improve the school's results) by weeding out weaker students - I don't know if that's true here, but...

Ednaw - don't worry - most people find perms and combs pretty hard.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
With apologies in advance to anyone who thinks this is a bit cynical - there are some who believe teach a hard topic early, so that you can reduce the numbers (and improve the school's results) by weeding out weaker students - I don't know if that's true here, but...
umm interesting... but i doubt this logic will work if you base your performance rating on "all" the subjects a student takes, ie their overall performance for all subjects, rather than just math performance. but if its just for the math faculty then yes go you cynical math teachers... LOL.

to maximise performance for the school as a whole across all subjects, one must find the best combination of subjects for each student based on their "comparative advantage" rather than "absolute advantage". the easiest way to acheive this is to educate students about the how the hsc system works and let them judge their own ability.

if math is my best subject and i only get 10% in a math test. then telling me to drop math and pick another subject would result in even lower marks since math is my best subject. the only way to get around this problem is expelling the students. :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
umm interesting... but i doubt this logic will work if you base your performance rating on "all" the subjects a student takes, ie their overall performance for all subjects, rather than just math performance. but if its just for the math faculty then yes go you cynical math teachers... LOL.
I've known of cases where teachers do sequences and series early in yr 11 2u, including all the superannuation / time payment stuff - which mostly frightens 2u people, esp. weak 2u people, the first time they see it - and then tell students that this is typical, and if they can't handle it they should drop to general. This is usually bad advice (IMO, unless someone is really weak), esp. if they will have to do any maths related Uni course.

I can't argue with your logic that this isn't necessarily good for the school as a whole (or for the student, for that matter), but I've encountered it enough to believe it does happen...

Numero Uno

HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
I've known of cases where teachers do sequences and series early in yr 11 2u, including all the superannuation / time payment stuff - which mostly frightens 2u people, esp. weak 2u people, the first time they see it - and then tell students that this is typical, and if they can't handle it they should drop to general. This is usually bad advice (IMO, unless someone is really weak), esp. if they will have to do any maths related Uni course.

I can't argue with your logic that this isn't necessarily good for the school as a whole (or for the student, for that matter), but I've encountered it enough to believe it does happen...

yeah they sed they will do that bs in ma old school

and they ended up doing basic arithmitic for 3 weeks

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ...
but sequences and series is not the hardest 2u topic :\
But Superannuation and Time Payments can be frightening at first - it's a complicated application for the new idea of series - and this topic does not rely on any other 2u theory like some, more difficult topics, and so can be done earlier in 11.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
But it does weed out those unwilling to perservere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)