• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Yr11 student PLEASE, URGENTLY NEED ADVICE (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi, i am doing these

English (Advanced)
Physics
Business Studies
Biology
Mathematics (2)
IT VET

I want to do double degree of computer hardware (computer science?) and business, so i can either do accounting etc or ultimate goal of opening a computer shop, my ATAR aim is 90+ if i get lower i'll kill my self OMG

Problems
I haven't passed a test at all i get like 30-40%, except maths i got like literally 10% or something i know i'm am completely screwed if i keep doing this, the main problem is that i don't study at all and forget everything because of this, and for the half yearly i really want to pass at LEAST 70 aim is just 80

What i am doing to try to fix this
I try to study now and i do 10 hours a week, 1 and a half a day mon-fri, i also do notes for each term, and i got tutor on sunday 3 hours phy-eng, but i feel like i am not studying effectively and properly, like i don't know what to do, since i started today, i know its shocking i just started, today i answered 1 chapter of questions on physics and that all, what should i do, keep answering test book questions OR read my notes, problem is, i don't know if the notes are even good either

Why?
I am asian background and doing 2U is already embarassing and with pressure from parents, cousins, family etc. i really need to get a high atar because i will be so expressed

Please what should i do, i want some advice from you guys then i shall email the person from enchaced learning, also this is a serious question please have the kindness and consideration to give a good answer to help me, thanks

PS also in terms of scaling what do you think of my subjects?

Thanks

HSC
nah, come on, please?

ciaobella17

HSC
In terms of study, you should be doing a lot more than ten hours a week. Most schools recomend at least three hours on a school night and 6 each weekend day. Of course, that much may be a little excessive and if you have only just started studying may be extemely difficult. Give it time, effectiveness when you study does not happen over night and it requires practice and good study habits before you're study will become effective. In regards to what you're studying, if you can manage, revise both summary notes for your subjects and do questions from textbooks/pastpapers etc. Constantly revise over the work you're doing in class. If you're not passing your subjects try to talk to your teachers about what you could be doing wrong. Remember it's prelim, now is the time to make mistakes and experiment with revision techniques and study habits which may work for you. You are allowed to make mistakes as none of this goes towards your HSC, so experiment and you will find a system that works for you. As for trying to decide whether you're notes are sastifactory the resources section may be able to provide you with those answers. If not, your teachers will probably be happy to look over them and offer suggestions on how to improve.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hi, i am doing these

English (Advanced)
Physics
Business Studies
Biology
Mathematics (2)
IT VET

I want to do double degree of computer hardware (computer science?) and business, so i can either do accounting etc or ultimate goal of opening a computer shop, my ATAR aim is 90+ if i get lower i'll kill my self OMG

Problems
I haven't passed a test at all i get like 30-40%, except maths i got like literally 10% or something i know i'm am completely screwed if i keep doing this, the main problem is that i don't study at all and forget everything because of this, and for the half yearly i really want to pass at LEAST 70 aim is just 80

I try to study now and i do 10 hours a week, 1 and a half a day mon-fri, i also do notes for each term, and i got tutor on sunday 3 hours phy-eng, but i feel like i am not studying effectively and properly, like i don't know what to do, since i started today, i know its shocking i just started, today i answered 1 chapter of questions on physics and that all, what should i do, keep answering test book questions OR read my notes, problem is, i don't know if the notes are even good either

Why?
I am asian background and doing 2U is already embarassing and with pressure from parents, cousins, family etc. i really need to get a high atar because i will be so expressed

Please what should i do, i want some advice from you guys then i shall email the person from enchaced learning, also this is a serious question please have the kindness and consideration to give a good answer to help me, thanks

Thanks

Are you studying right?

Last edited:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Hi, i am doing these

English (Advanced)
Physics
Business Studies
Biology
Mathematics (2)
IT VET

Problems

Why?

Thanks
You cannot be Asain if you fail

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Why?
If you're not a troll, then please neck yourself.

HSC
why would i be a troll if i typed all of that, btw typo, it was meant to be embarrassing not expressed and if you check my thread you can see i am really struggling

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
If you have time on the weekends, I can really help you in Mathematics, I can help you with concepts of 2 unit. If you want I can teach you from the beginning.

Gigacube

HSC
You'll need to do well in IT & Bio as these are your lowest scaling subjects. Try not to read stuff from the textbook. Print off the syllabus and make notes according to the dot points.

Maybe you aren't organised or you need to find a way of studying that suits you best. Use a wide range of resources and check your information against other sources if you aren't sure how accurate the information is.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Hey there. It really sucks and pains us to have to read about someone going through struggles. We're all on the same boat so of course we'll try to help you out.

First of all you need to make sure what you are studying is in the syllabus. Take out your syllabus and make notes under those dot points. If you are not sure, ask a teacher. People have also uploaded notes onto this site, so you can compile them with yours.

Your main priority right now is not to stress yourself out from all the pressure given by your family, about 2u maths etc. That is extremely ineffective for studying, and I know because I went through that period where I pretty much broke down because I wasnt grasping onto the concepts as well. Open up your mind a little and breathe for a second. Because if you're not happy, you won't be able to study with the right mind. THINK POSITIVE. Yeah?

Okay, since you started studying today and this is new to you, it's okay to feel overwhelmed. Don't kill yourself over it, and take it easy. You WILL do well at school, and you WILL improve. Make sure you actually understand the work you are doing, and annoy the hell out of your teachers until you do. Please stop killing yourself over negative thoughts because you are capable of getting a great atar.

As for tutoring, do you do to private? Because if not this may be more beneficial to you.

If you have any questions on Biology, English, Physics or maths PM me and I'll help.

Good luck and I hope you're well!

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You can also shoot me PMs too, I do three of your subjects. But ignore your parents, they're being counterproductive.

HSC
thanks guys about the syllabus thing, i will do that now i think i need to do 2 and gradually move to 3 hours of study mininum, cuz all my friends are doing like 15-20 and i'm barely doing 10...

HSC
can someone also explain the Table A3 thing to me, i don't get it, thanks

also in yr 12 what should i do keep 6 subjects with lots of work but have more units to choose for my ATAR or do 5 subjects and try my hardest to get high atar, if i drop it vet and got say 85 in all 5 subjects would that be the same atar or higher as doing 6 and getting 85? (would that mean itvet makes it to like 70 or something?

Thanks

Gigacube

HSC
can someone also explain the Table A3 thing to me, i don't get it, thanks

also in yr 12 what should i do keep 6 subjects with lots of work but have more units to choose for my ATAR or do 5 subjects and try my hardest to get high atar, if i drop it vet and got say 85 in all 5 subjects would that be the same atar or higher as doing 6 and getting 85? (would that mean itvet makes it to like 70 or something?

Thanks
I think you should drop IT and concentrate on those units as only 10 units counts. Unless you are certain that you can get 95+ in IT to be safe I'd drop it.

Table A3 - The 5 columns from the right are the percentiles. P99 means the top 1%, p90 means the top 10%, etc.
So for Business Studies the top mark of 49.0 (remember these are out of 50) was scaled to 48.4. To find that out I looked along the Business Studies column and looked at the top row to find the HSC mark then looked down to find the scaled mark. People in the 90th Percentile got a mark of 44.5 which scaled to 37.5

For IT scroll to the last page. The top mark of 49.0 got scaled down to 42.0. In the 90th Percentile the mark was 42.0 which got scaled to 31.7

powlmao

Banned
HSC
PM me if you want i do Business and Mathematics

You'll do fine if you shape up now until yr 12

HSC
sorry so if it is p99 that means students in the top 1% of nsw had a mark of 49 and scaled to 48.4 but isn't the test out of 100 marks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)