• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Zhang HSC (1 Viewer)

iane

HSC
Hi.

For a bit of context, I am currently in year 11 of a public high school. We are currently in module 2 which I find not too bad, but the latter half of module 1 I am still confused about. Also, my foundations are pretty bad as I didn't pay much attention to them in my junior years.

I was wondering if I should enrol into Zhangs. I know that Zhangs is about 2 modules ahead of our school, so I was wondering if I would be suitable for going to Zhangs. I haven't yet gone into modules 3 and 4 and I heard that the preliminary course is closely related to the hsc course so I am hesitant as I might not be able to understand anything. However, I think Zhangs is good because you can finish all the modules by term 2 of year 12 leaving you with plenty of time to revise. The way that my school syllabus for chemistry works is that for some subjects there is still a bit of content to be covered even after the trials which is kind of dumb.

Thanks

shoulfer

HSC
Hi.

For a bit of context, I am currently in year 11 of a public high school. We are currently in module 2 which I find not too bad, but the latter half of module 1 I am still confused about. Also, my foundations are pretty bad as I didn't pay much attention to them in my junior years.

I was wondering if I should enrol into Zhangs. I know that Zhangs is about 2 modules ahead of our school, so I was wondering if I would be suitable for going to Zhangs. I haven't yet gone into modules 3 and 4 and I heard that the preliminary course is closely related to the hsc course so I am hesitant as I might not be able to understand anything. However, I think Zhangs is good because you can finish all the modules by term 2 of year 12 leaving you with plenty of time to revise. The way that my school syllabus for chemistry works is that for some subjects there is still a bit of content to be covered even after the trials which is kind of dumb.

Thanks
zhangs is doing mod 4 right now for year 11 might as well join so you can get in all of year 12, its pretty good just know which teacher you are picking.

iane

HSC
zhangs is doing mod 4 right now for year 11 might as well join so you can get in all of year 12, its pretty good just know which teacher you are picking.
Thanks. For the entrance exam is it just a test of your skill level or can they straight reject you if you do horribly. I think they are well ahead of my school's syllabus and for not tutoring for years ahead of me. One more thing do you know how much kurt costs per term for maths extension year 11? Thanks again.

shoulfer

HSC
Thanks. For the entrance exam is it just a test of your skill level or can they straight reject you if you do horribly. I think they are well ahead of my school's syllabus and for not tutoring for years ahead of me. One more thing do you know how much kurt costs per term for maths extension year 11? Thanks again.
zhang's doesn't have an entrance exam, but they do have an end-of-term exam for each exam but that doesn't mean anything and is just for you to assess your own ability. not sure about Kurt's, i don't even know if they r still taking students for year 11.

iloveeggs

HSC
hi, kurt costs a bit more than 1000 (1200?) per term for y11 bc they run mandatory holiday classes too, 3 times a week in holidays. ill check my past invoices to give you a more accurate number tho, reply to this to remind me.

also i seriously don't recommend joining kurt in y11 if you're not confident with almost all of prelim content, they've covered a majority of it already, im a massive kurt hater so you can take this with a pinch of salt but he also gives you crazy amounts of work and pressure and its really not necessary to succeed. for context i moved out of kurt this year and into dr du and im finding that it makes a lot more sense, i can ask questions without getting roasted, and be given space to understand as i go and not just working backwards from the answer. ask me questions if you'd like bc it hasn't been long since i've left. im not the best math student but i am an accelerant and i rank well in my top 50 selective school, but i found kurt wasn't for me

iloveeggs

HSC

Thanks
also i love zhangs for chem and physics, it's just that you need to get the right teachers. the content is sort of fast paced tho so if you miss lessons you can expect to be lost. end-of-term exams and homework is okayish but hard and i like it like that because it preps you for harder questions. quite a few ppl in physics moved to ace physics and seem to like it better bc its like zhang's but slower paced, but i can't comment too much on that

iane

HSC
hi, kurt costs a bit more than 1000 (1200?) per term for y11 bc they run mandatory holiday classes too, 3 times a week in holidays. ill check my past invoices to give you a more accurate number tho, reply to this to remind me.

also i seriously don't recommend joining kurt in y11 if you're not confident with almost all of prelim content, they've covered a majority of it already, im a massive kurt hater so you can take this with a pinch of salt but he also gives you crazy amounts of work and pressure and its really not necessary to succeed. for context i moved out of kurt this year and into dr du and im finding that it makes a lot more sense, i can ask questions without getting roasted, and be given space to understand as i go and not just working backwards from the answer. ask me questions if you'd like bc it hasn't been long since i've left. im not the best math student but i am an accelerant and i rank well in my top 50 selective school, but i found kurt wasn't for me
It's okay you don't need to check your invoices I got the general idea. Thanks a lot.

maxverstappenlovr22

HSC
I currently to go Zhangs for the yr.11 physics and Chemistry course. I have trialled in Ace and Cognito, and here are my honest opinions:

Cognito:
Pros:
- Has smaller classes, and more individualised learning. The teacher can provide greater attention to you.
Cons:
- Was too slow paced for my liking.

Ace:
Since I live in the Carlingford Area, Ace is a bit closer than than Zhang's and Cognito, allowing shorter travel time after school though its based on preference and your timetable.
Pros:
- They have a lot of resources, and the teachers are extremely qualified. A lot of kids from my school come here too, allowing for greater competition and benchmarking of ability.
Cons:
- not really any cons.

Zhangs:
I have seen your post about Kurt. Zhangs is the science equivalent of kurts. Ace is more like du.
Pros:
- Good homework/quiz/exam questions, you might find some of them harder than other tutoring centres.
- Hard end-of-term exams, keeps you studying throughout the term. Cash incentive too if you top the exam, just like du.
Cons:
also i love zhangs for chem and physics, it's just that you need to get the right teachers.
I agree with iloveeggs here, some teachers are meh. If you can, make sure to experiment around with teachers. Switching classes is super easy.

I don't know your ability or what school you go to, but I hope I have helped you in making a decision. However, cognito and ace may be more suitable for you.

Feel free to message me,

Hope it helps,
From Eric C

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)