Zhang Yimou's art (1 Viewer)

ttrinix

HSC
Could someone please read my film essay draft about "ZhangYimou" - objectively?

Any comments would be appreciated.... pls pm me

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
ttrinix said:
Could someone please read my film essay draft about "ZhangYimou" - objectively?

Any comments would be appreciated.... pls pm me
Wtf? A '11er on BoS? You must be the first... Yay :)
I'll see what I can do, otherwise there's plenty of other '10ers who could help you.

swathard

HSC
You're use of vocabulary is very sophisticated for a Year 9 person !

You remind me a bit of myself when I was in Year 9 studying English . . . lol :p

OHHHHHHHHHHH i just noticed.. you're a BAULKO lol ! noooo wonderr! didn't expect anything less :p :p

I suppose one bit of criticism I could give you, constructive of course, is that you should tie back your arguments a bit better to the question in the closing sentence of each paragraph, rather than loosely placing a sentence on a particular technique as the conclusion of a paragraph. The purpose of this 'concluding sentence' of each paragraph is to tie it back to the original question, and thus reinforce in the marker's mind that you are raising arguments that appropriately answer the question.

But yeah, overall, I think it has some rather sophisticated vocabulary and ideas. If you write like this now, I can assume you will be a strong candidate for English Extension 2 in Year 12. :D

Good job mate! Keep up the good work. :)

Last edited:

ttrinix

HSC
I was asking for help as I'm kinda struggling in english

ttrinix

HSC
swathard said:
I suppose one bit of criticism I could give you, constructive of course, is that you should tie back your arguments a bit better to the question in the closing sentence of each paragraph, rather than loosely placing a sentence on a particular technique as the conclusion of a paragraph. The purpose of this 'concluding sentence' of each paragraph is to tie it back to the original question, and thus reinforce in the marker's mind that you are raising arguments that appropriately answer the question.
would something like this be suitable "through the metaphor of a prison to portray a dehumanising system and build conflict the viewer is induced into experiencing a film unique to the art of Zhangyimou"

swathard

HSC
well is the metaphor the only thing you discuss in that paragraph? perhaps you should be a bit more general and mention CINEMATIC TECHNIQUES and incorporate the key words of the question, together with the main ideas of your paragraph - basically, in a nutshell, what did you discuss in that paragraph and how is it relevant to the original question.

do you get thatt?

ttrinix

HSC
Could u give me an example, i get it but i cant think of a way to rephrase everything.

swathard

HSC
Ok, umm - take your first paragraph after your introduction:

basically, you want the marker to see that this paragraph is completely relevant, and so you could say something like this (of course, ensure that you link it back to the question):

Therefore, through the application of an array of cinematic techniques, a dehumanising system is portrayed that immerses the responder into the film and thus allows them to experience and be emotionally captivated by the art of (whatever that person's name is, lol).

Sometihng like that should do - but see how I'm integrating the key words of the question? Like "captivating" and "art of ____". It's just sometihng simple like that that could make all the difference from an A grade response to a B grade response - I like to call these closing lines "mini-conclusions", as ultimately, you are summarising the central ideas of your pargraph in one sentence that shows the marker, "Yes, this person HAS answered the question and has provided relevant examples to support their claims."

Do you understand what I'm getting at?

I hope so ! LOL. GOOD LUCK ! ! !

ttrinix

HSC
thanks so much!!! i'm gradually getting the hang of essays now... never really understood structure

btw, do u think that my essay is too long ?
the teacher just ttold us to write an essay that would answer the question

-tal-

HSC
No, the essay isn't too long.

1) Shorten your paragraph lengths (the second one is 313 words). And while I know they're "related", you can afford to let them have a paragraph of their own. eg in the 4th paragraph, this can have a paragraph of its own. [FONT=&quot]"Another characteristic feature of Zhang’s..." Go to the start of another and press enter. You kind of used a "transition" word (change of voice) so you can make a new paragraph.[/FONT]

2) Clean up your punctuation eg "[FONT=&quot]a the" ctrl f this and make up your mind about whether you want to be subjective or objective

3) Be more concise. I don't need to know that Songlian is acted by Gong Li. This bit of information is unrelated to your essay, so cut it out. Always directly relate to the question. If it's not related to the question, don't chuck it in
[/FONT]

ttrinix

HSC
when you mean that I could split the paragraphs, does that mean that I need to introduce a new issue/ theme?

when you refer to "another characteristic feature" isn't it just a technique, not a new theme?

lionking1191

HSC
ttrinix said:
yeh, i'm one of the few yr 9's -
lol ur a baulko-er

haha its yr 9... i remember doing zhang's house of flying daggers for y9.. all we did was watching it over and over and over again

raise the red lantern was much more boring

thoughts (of no particular merit):

intro: don't start talking about techniques - that's for the body. rather, develop your thesis a bit more. develop the "appealing on various level" part by referring to the themes you have drawn attention to: ie. system, power and fate.

body: your structure is messy. since you have identified the 3 key issues in the intro, it would be ideal to develop that into 3 sections in the body - one for each paragraph. a topic sentence is required at the beginning of each paragraph which should discuss the question.

Last edited:

-tal-

HSC
ttrinix said:
when you mean that I could split the paragraphs, does that mean that I need to introduce a new issue/ theme?

when you refer to "another characteristic feature" isn't it just a technique, not a new theme?
No no no no no, splitting the paragraphs does not necessarily mean that you have to begin a new theme/argument/issue. It just means that it's easier to read, and you can differentiate between the elaboration and the point you're making.

In reference to the "another characteristic...", you from memory, started elaborating the point using another feature of the text, so I suggested you could turn that into a new paragraph. That would make it more a more efficient, concise piece of writing. More control of the essay format.

Keep in mind that the point of a paragraph is to separate your points. So for your essay, you could separate the themes, then separate said theme into TEE 1, TEE 2 etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)