• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

中文歌詞! (3 Viewers)

mack

Banned
HSC
JKDDragon said:
Stop running. If you don't need to lose weight, and need to gain muscle.. then you gotta stop running. Running, or any form of cardio burns protein as energy (your muscle mass).. lmao I thought you were tyring to lose weight all this time. If you wanna gain muscle you gotta do weight training, in terms of gaining muscle the only thing running will do is burn off your muscle mass. You might grow a little muscle on your quads and hamstrings.. but that's about it.
Yeah but I put on weight really easily, dont I need some form of daily cardio to keep fit?

Also, how many situps daily would you recommend? Right now I can manage 100 situps, 100 leg raises, but ive tried a few exercises to work the oblique muscles and they hurt like hell......I need your help.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i've been browsing the Web Archive WayBackMachine... good to see some people's old webdesigns up and pages i've never seen before...

so...

if you could turn back time and change something, what would you change and why? (ignoring the effects of the grandfather paradox)

i'd probably go back and kill a shitload of people. :p

edit: ohhh look at how far we've come!

Bored of Studies August, 2002
Board of Studies April, 1997

w0w UTS October, 1997
UNSW June, 1997
USyd December, 1996 (!)
UTS: Law Faculty April, 1997
AustLII December, 1997
UNSW: Law Faculty January, 1998
*sigh* Auld Lang Syne - a time when the trains worked :(

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
mack said:
Yeah but I put on weight really easily, dont I need some form of daily cardio to keep fit?

Also, how many situps daily would you recommend? Right now I can manage 100 situps, 100 leg raises, but ive tried a few exercises to work the oblique muscles and they hurt like hell......I need your help.
Well mate, it depends on what muscles you're trying to build. Remember those exercises will only build up your abs and some part of your upper legs.. most guys tend to prefer exercises which target the chest, shoulders, back and arms.. since they're the 'masculine ones'.

Anyway, here's the dilemma of what you said. You said that you put on weight easily so you do cardio to keep fit/keep the fat down. That is CORRECT.. however to build muscle effectively, you need a CALORIE EXCESS. That is, you have to eat more calories than you burn. To lose fat, you have to have a CALORIE DEFICIT. That is, you have to eat less calories than you burn (or to put it another way, burn more calories than you eat).
The simple inevitable point I'm trying to make is: You can't effectively build muscle while keeping your body fat percentages low, unless you have phenomenally good genes. So you either gotta forget about fat, and just build muscle, eat crazily and gain some fat which is unavoidable, or just forget about it. Now you said 'you put weight on easily'.. so chances are your genes aren't suited for muscle building/keeping fat low at the same time. Don't worry about it, it's not something terrible, most people have the same problem.

So if you're serious about building muscle, you've got two choices to make:

- forget about muscle building and just do heaps of cardio etc. etc. to get your body fat percentage down really low and THEN start building muscle (eating alot) and gaining some fat too which is unavoidable.

OR

- start muscle building right now, ignoring cardio and eat crazily (and gaining some fat aswell which is again unavoidable), and when you're satisfied with how muscular you are, THEN start doing cardio, eating less etc. to shed down the fat you gained.

Oh, and in bodybuilding language, the phase where you lift weights, build up heaps of muscle, forgetting cardio.. and just eating crazily is called 'bulking'.. since you're bulking up muscle.

The phase where you're doing heaps of cardio and lowering your calorie intake to lose the fat you gained while bulking is called 'cutting'.

Most gym muscle builder/weight lifters bulk during the winter (because you'll be wearing heaps of clothes anyway so no one can see your fat) and cut during the summer days (to get your beach body out).

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and cavemen pulled their women by the hair into their caves to engage in carnal pleasure, internet access was but an expensive novel thing:
BigPond Dialup Plans, January 1998

and when there was the time when mobile phones were the new black, and people used to carry bricks around acting cool, a time when 'SMS' still stood for 'sadomasochistic sex' rather than 'short message service', there was a little company called One.Tel which brought mass communication to the masses:
Fat Mobile Phones, One.Tel, October 1997

and then there was a time when there were 2 australian airlines - one with the hyperactive kangaroo and the other with a name which meant 'rest in peace' in cantonese:
Ansett

and then there was a time when my cousin beat the shit out of me in every single subject in the HSC and received a TER of 99.85 :'(
10th in Latin
187th in 2 unit English
87th in 4 unit Maths
5th in the state for Senior Science

man i got pwned really hard :'( i hate my cousie. he's finished med at UNSW now. i suck.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
thanks for that jkddragon.

Thats awesome, i needed to know what the fuck to do! :)

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
Frigid said:
in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and cavemen pulled their women by the hair into their caves to engage in carnal pleasure, internet access was but an expensive novel thing:

and when there was the time when mobile phones were the new black, and people used to carry bricks around acting cool, a time when 'SMS' still stood for 'sadomasochistic sex' rather than 'short message service', there was a little company called One.Tel which brought mass communication to the masses:

and then there was a time when there were 2 australian airlines - one with the hyperactive kangaroo and the other with a name which meant 'rest in peace' in cantonese:
Ansett

and then there was a time when my cousin beat the shit out of me in every single subject in the HSC and received a TER of 99.85 :'(
10th in Latin
187th in 2 unit English
87th in 4 unit Maths

man i got pwned really hard :'( i hate my cousie. he's finished med at UNSW now. i suck.
aww no you do, he just has no life. :p
Just kidding, he might have one, but still, you think getting uai of 99+ is not good enough?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:

shit that's expensive... good thing i had free internet back then (connected to uni, parents work there)

I was connected to one.tel :(

Ansett

10th in Latin
187th in 2 unit English
87th in 4 unit Maths

it's not so bad, you beat me in UAI

Collin

HSC
N/A
dodo.. DO DO.. INTERNET THAT FLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIESSssssssssssss

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
weeeeeee

unsw computing result came out for me today.

yay i failed

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
JKDDragon said:
dodo.. DO DO.. INTERNET THAT FLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIESSssssssssssss
the internet that charges for both up and down...

sorry to hear that ragerunner. i hope you change you major, lol

Collin

HSC
N/A
Ragerunner said:
weeeeeee

unsw computing result came out for me today.

yay i failed
Sorry to hear that man.. so whats gonna happen now, do it again next year? Summer school?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
fuck it.

im just not going to do it anymore...

but thats probably only 1 of the subjects im gonna fail this semester.

wouldn't be surprised if i failed all 4.

mack

Banned
HSC
JKDDragon said:
no problems mac.. erm I mean asylum. :) lmao

Thanks for the help dude, but ive got another Q for you....its about bloody protein shakes. Ive got to be careful when having these, because if I make them wrong its going to screw me over. I always thought you put milk in with a fruit like banana, with protein and creatin from a health food store...but I dont know the measurements of each ingredient and when to drink one....Can you help me out here?

Collin

HSC
N/A
mack said:
Thanks for the help dude, but ive got another Q for you....its about bloody protein shakes. Ive got to be careful when having these, because if I make them wrong its going to screw me over. I always thought you put milk in with a fruit like banana, with protein and creatin from a health food store...but I dont know the measurements of each ingredient and when to drink one....Can you help me out here?
What do you mean if you make them wrong, it'll screw you over?

Anyway here goes:

Generally speaking, you want around 20g - 50g of protein powder per serving. This equates to ROUGHLY around 1 to 3 cups (those plastic cups that come with the container). You can take protein shakes (with milk.. fruit, whatever) during any time of the day, but they're best taken right after a workout. Why? Because protein powders are generally fast acting (protein whey isolate), and your muscles need that right after a workout. Infact, post-workout nutrition is extremely important. If you don't consume some sugar (yes that's right, sugar) and some fast acting protein right after the workout, you sabotage your gains, simple as that. How? Because right after your workout, (after around the 45 minute mark), catabolic (muscle wasting) hormones such as cortisol are rampant around the body. To suppress this hormone, you need to create anabolism. That's where food comes in. Sugar generates an insulin spike, which suppresses the hormone. The protein comes to assist repair of the microteared muscles, and also helps to create an anabolic atmosphere.

As for creatine, DON'T mix it with your protein shakes. Why? Because creatine is unstable in solution. After awhile it turns to creatinine, and that's useless (and wasted money aswell.. since this shit isn't cheap).
Your best way to take it is to simply shovel it into your mouth from the container. You're supposed to take around 5-15 grams per day, but if you just started, then you have to do a 'loading phase' where you saturated your body with it first. You do this by taking around 20 grams per day for 5 - 7 days.

Creatine is best taken right before a workout. Remember, the point of this supplement is to enhance your ATP generation so you effectively have more energy during a workout, and hence more muscular gains.

Just a little word though, if you're considering taking supplements, the first supplement you should be taking is a good multivitamin, followed by protein. Then comes creatine and glutamine.. and then the rest of the fancy stuff like omega3 fats, ZMA.. etc. if you have any questions on supplements or anything, don't hesitate to ask. I'm bored and an insomniac.

mack

Banned
HSC
Thanks for the help, you really do know alot about this shit.

Another Q to keep you entertained:

How effective are pushups for building muscle? I can comfortably manage around 80-100 daily, but i find they only keep my arms toned, there doesnt seem to be any muscle growth.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
haha im so fucked i hear cracks whenever i do pushups and so stop after about 20-30 :S

Collin

HSC
N/A
mack said:
Thanks for the help, you really do know alot about this shit.

Another Q to keep you entertained:

How effective are pushups for building muscle? I can comfortably manage around 80-100 daily, but i find they only keep my arms toned, there doesnt seem to be any muscle growth.
Woops, forgot to mention that 5g of creatine roughly equals a flat teaspoon of it.

Anyway, with pushups, how many can you do in one go without failing? The term 'fail' just means you can't do anymore with proper technique/form.

To build muscle, with any exercise you want to fail at around the 8-12 rep range. For example, you want to build chest muscles. You CHOOSE a weight so that you bench the barbell and fail the set at around the 8-12 rep range.

The point I'm trying to make is, if your strength is at such a level that you fail a set of pushups at the 8 -12 rep range, you will tend to get gains.. but if it's easy so that you can do like.. 50 or something in a row, then you're not gonna get much out of it. So if you are finding it easy, then do stuff like get someone to sit on your back or something lmao.

Pushups are a compound exercise, which increases functional strength. It's traditionally not an effective muscle builder, although if you've never done pushups in your life before, you'll gain some muscle.

Again mate, if you're serious about this, go out and buy yourself a dumbell set and one of those inflatable gym balls. Then you'll be able to do literally 70% of the exercises you'll need to do at the gym..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)