[09 Yr 11 Advanced- Changing Self] Please recommend some texts (novels)!! (1 Viewer)

Tensai1827

HSC
I'm doing secrets and lies as prescribed thingo in class but i need to find my own text, teacher said preferably not movie, and a novel would be good.

I know some of them include 'away', 'lookin' for alibrandi', 'my place',

but our teacher is quite whimsical, she was like - be more interesting with your choice cos she doesn't want typical old stuff over n over again.

Any good books you read thats about changing self? (i was gonna do harry potter as my last choice but i remember our teacher told us on the 1st day that she HATES harry potter. OTL)

Thanx :D

LordPc

HSC
just a tip, dont ever do harry potter, twilight or anything that is popular, firstly cause too many other people will do it, and do it poorly, so you will be steroetyped immediately by the marker, even a fair marker. and 2ndly, you have read/watched these texts from a viewpoint of entertainment. therefore you wont see the stuff that you would if you were watching from an analytical viewpoint. you will miss obvious stuff. so harry potter isnt really a solid fall back

you could try star wars, the development of Anakin or Luke. but perhaps thats a popular text at your school, so be careful

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
My advice; don't be narrow minded. Your teacher has an excellent point; "same old thing" The best thing about yr 12 english is it lets you choose the texts you want to study. I remember i did a song by Eminem and the movie 300. The more diverse your texts are the greater depth you can take to them. Expand your horizons and try to limit the 'conventional' text that have been done yet soo many times. I remember, my teacher disagreed with the Eminem song, but once i analysed with a great depth; it was perfect! So, as i said have an open mind and don't forget the "What" (ideas) and "How" (techniques)

lisarhh

HSC
are you someone from syd girls? you sound like it, cause we're doing secrets and lies as well. anyway why don't you do stuff like a clockwork orange, picture of dorian gray, gwen harwood's poems eg. barn owl, the glass jar. i analysed barn owl and got a coupel of similarities with secrets and lies, so i did pretty well in the essay. but yeah you have to pick something, that is similar to secrets and lies, so you can synthesise and establish links easily. looking for alibrandi is a good one, but it might be a bit cliche.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)